U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 22,640 times

Advertisements

We're interested in relocating from lower Fairfield County to Central/Southern NJ. Our area is simply unaffordable for middle-class folks like us and we want to establish roots in an active, welcoming and strongly-connected community.

We need guidance in selecting an area with public schools that are best suited to both of our children's needs:

* A 7th grader with autism (non-verbal), in a self-contained classroom with daily OT and Speech services and
* A 9th grader (neurologically typical) in a typical HS program that includes honors/AP classes, athletics, art, and strings music instruction.

When our younger son turns 21 and "ages out" of the special ed program, he'll need to have regional and state supports that we can depend on; vocational training, job assistance, recreation support, and assisted living programs will be critical to his success as an adult. Sadly, our home state has a 10+ year waiting list for group home placement and very limited resources for adult day programs.

As for our needs as a couple, we expect to make use of the area's parks and lakes; DH has managed a Little League team for several years; we both volunteer at our kids' schools; and I teach CCD and Confirmation classes at our RC church. We like knowing our neighbors by name and watching out for each other.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 PM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
You might check Middletown out. Many autistic students are well-served in the district, and Middletown North and South would meet your high schooler's needs.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM

39 posts, read 151,028 times
I can't really speak to a town that might meet your needs, but overall I would apply for DDD services for your child asap. I work in the social services field although not specifically DDD so I'm unsure what waiting lists might be like, but they can certainly help with long-term services. I know it can be difficult to "get in" to DDD but I wouldn't get discouraged if at first you don't, always apply a second time.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM

88 posts, read 360,164 times
Default relocating

My nephew is 5 with autism. They live in Cherry Hill and they have excellent schools for his needs. Also Washington Twp. (where I live) has great programs for both children. I can get you more info on the programs if you'd like.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:33 AM

9,163 posts, read 20,195,772 times
I have a 16 year old nephew with autism. My sister moved to Brick a few years ago after researching the schools.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Default DDD Services in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly6 View Post
I can't really speak to a town that might meet your needs, but overall I would apply for DDD services for your child asap. I work in the social services field although not specifically DDD so I'm unsure what waiting lists might be like, but they can certainly help with long-term services. I know it can be difficult to "get in" to DDD but I wouldn't get discouraged if at first you don't, always apply a second time.
Thanks for sharing your professional experience, Kelly, and for also working in the social services field. You all serve as a lifeline to families like ours.

My YS has been served by DMR in CT since he was three and we've added him already to the state's group home waiting list (now 10 years long - and he's only 12).

He was also assisted with SSI for a brief period of time, enough to cover his monthly diaper bill (he didn't use the toilet successfully until he was 7-1/2).

Between his IEPs and regional/state/federal files, I think the DDD would have plenty of documentation to determine his eligibility.

Once we determine where we'll live, I expect to call the DDD right after arranging for the U-Haul!

Thanks again,
Dana

Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 AM

Smile Thanks for all your great suggestions!

Your responses are helpful and greatly appreciated. We'll look at all of the communities that you suggested.

It's hard to think about leaving the area, but harder to stay when even a 2-bedroom condo sells for $400,000 and up.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,167 times
Default Townships Provide for Out of District Schools

If you live in NJ, most districts will provide for an "out of district school." Meaning that they will pay to have your child "districted" or bussed to a school not in their home town that can meet their needs.
There are many schools here to choose from but it seems to be the case that the Monmouth area offers more as they get older which is where I am at now. So to afford many changes down the road, I would suggest Monmouth County, and there are several out of district schools available if you choose to have them go to a private school.
Check out Middletown Shrewsbury Red Bank

Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,402,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a 16 year old nephew with autism. My sister moved to Brick a few years ago after researching the schools.
Agree with this. Also look at Toms River.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM

859 posts, read 2,332,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly6 View Post
This is great advice, but the OPer would need to have established NJ residency for at least 3 months before being eligible for services, and DDD no longer takes children.... Any application would need to go through DCF & NJ Children's System of Care:
Department of Human Services | Where to Apply for Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or