Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Yes, I think we got snow 2 years in a row before Halloween. 2 years ago we got about 12" - my kids were stuck at school until 6pm or so because the roads were so bad.

Oddly enough last year the Delaware Valley got far more snow than we did.
Wow. I don't remember much of it accumulating two years ago. Maybe a few inches? Must have depended on the elevation.

Last year we received approximately 2-3 feet more snow than average, which was still far less than areas south. Don't quite remember what the total was for last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow. I don't remember much of it accumulating two years ago. Maybe a few inches? Must have depended on the elevation.

Last year we received approximately 2-3 feet more snow than average, which was still far less than areas south. Don't quite remember what the total was for last winter.
yeah, it was totally elevation dependent. portions of long valley got anywhere between 6-12"

here's a blurb about it:

Wunder Blog Archive : Weather Underground

Old 11-12-2010, 07:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
yeah, it was totally elevation dependent.
That's why I'm trying to convince my wife that we need to move to Blairstown

Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Who needs snow. It's 60 out and i have on shorts.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM

199 posts, read 526,220 times
Like others have said, there really is no typical date for a first snowfall. Some years we'll have accumulating snow before Thanksgiving and have a snowy December, and others we won't see any until January. It really just depends. The earliest I've ever seen it snow was two years ago in late October. A few inches fell and accumulated on the roads and everything. Areas to my north and west got as much as 8 inches.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
Like others have said, there really is no typical date for a first snowfall. Some years we'll have accumulating snow before Thanksgiving and have a snowy December, and others we won't see any until January. It really just depends. The earliest I've ever seen it snow was two years ago in late October. A few inches fell and accumulated on the roads and everything. Areas to my north and west got as much as 8 inches.
That's crazy! I never remember accumulating snow before December around here, although we live at opposite ends of the state. It's funny, for such a small state, we have such different climates and landscapes. We're sort of like a mini California, although I wish we had a section with palm trees.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Default Estimate for Central New Jersey's first snowfall

Last year the first snowfall for central New Jersey was December 5th 2009, so my best estimate for the first snowfall this year would be December 3th, 4th, or 5th.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
"December owns first rights to freezing weather and whimsically decides just which week will host the initiation of winter. The calculated movement of the planets determine the exact moment of the winter solstice right down to the second. Practically, however, winter begins when December decides."

Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 AM

539 posts, read 1,923,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"December owns first rights to freezing weather and whimsically decides just which week will host the initiation of winter. The calculated movement of the planets determine the exact moment of the winter solstice right down to the second. Practically, however, winter begins when December decides."

Presumably this is a quote and not your own words.............where did this come from? I like it.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:42 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default Beads of water dripped off the paddle blade, freezing...

Thank you for the compliment!

Those words were written by me for an upcoming article to be published in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey