U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,749,259 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are mother/daughter homes the same as 2 family homes?

And these days in Ocean County NJ ( hopefully within 25 mins of Toms River ) what do those type homes average in price in a good school district in Ocean County? A safe area to raise a family? We would need at least 4-5 beds 2-3 baths and a basement.

And when looking for these homes on realtor sites what search do we put in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM

769 posts, read 2,397,576 times
I own a mother/daughter in Toms River. It is not the same as a two family. I was told I cannot rent the other unit of the home. I presently have my parents living there. Its more like a summer home to them. And we split the bills. I'd be interested to find out more info on M/D's myself. I dont see many of them available. I always wonder if when it comes time to sell if it takes longer to sell a M/D?

Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,382,823 times
Thumbs up Near Toms River

From my home (I have relatives in Toms River) I live approx. 30 minutes door to door to Toms River. But I'm in Monmouth County near Allentown & New Egypt.

Regardless, there are many homes on the market. I'm sure you'll find something. Just wondering- Do you / don't you have an agent looking for you? I am not an agent but I can rec. a good one that I have used several (5) times. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I'll look at realtor.com just to check on the "choices" b/c I could have swore I saw something regarding mulit family or something like that....

best of luck to ya- just trying to help

Yup- I saw right ! Mulit Family is a choice on Realtor.com...Wasn't sure of your price range but found this
MLS ID# 20713114 in Freehold.

Last edited by NewHomeHappy; 07-08-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi,

Are mother/daughter homes the same as 2 family homes?

And these days in Ocean County NJ ( hopefully within 25 mins of Toms River ) what do those type homes average in price in a good school district in Ocean County? A safe area to raise a family? We would need at least 4-5 beds 2-3 baths and a basement.

And when looking for these homes on realtor sites what search do we put in?
Multi family or 2 family homes are usually legally 2 different residences. Meaning you could live in one and rent one out. A mother / daughter usually has a separate apartment (either with or without a private entrance) but it cannot legally be rented out.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM

741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I own a mother/daughter in Toms River. It is not the same as a two family. I was told I cannot rent the other unit of the home. I presently have my parents living there. Its more like a summer home to them. And we split the bills. I'd be interested to find out more info on M/D's myself. I dont see many of them available. I always wonder if when it comes time to sell if it takes longer to sell a M/D?
There is a mother/daughter home in Lake Riveria section of Brick that has been for sale way over a year like my own Bi-level that could be turned into a mother/daughter. She is just as upset as I am at how long it is taking to sell.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,749,259 times
Default 2 family-mother daughter homes

I should have mentioned we are interestee in a 2 family or mother daughter house with at least 4 beds, at least 2.5 baths and a basement is a must have. Brick would be fine depending on house price and the property taxes. A Ranch, Bi-level or whatever.

Our price range is from 400- 520,000 max.

And again we would like to be within 25-35 min drive of toms river at most in a safe area to raise kids with a good school district.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM

741 posts, read 3,206,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I should have mentioned we are interestee in a 2 family or mother daughter house with at least 4 beds, at least 2.5 baths and a basement is a must have. Brick would be fine depending on house price and the property taxes. A Ranch, Bi-level or whatever.

Our price range is from 400- 520,000 max.

And again we would like to be within 25-35 min drive of toms river at most in a safe area to raise kids with a good school district.
You should have no problem at all in that price range. In fact you could get a really, really nice house for that. Good luck

Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 22,502 times
Default mother/ daughter for sale

hi i have a ranch m/d 4brs 2 1/2 bathes IG pool Large property and we are selling at fair price lt me know if you r interested?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 21,911 times
Default hotchilligirls- mother/daughter Jackson

Looking for mother/daughter in Jackson, NJ and no you can not charge rent but have the other party split the bills with you. I did come across a great mother/daughter with brand new addition and private trails on 2 acres in Jackson, they just reduced it! Great deal in Jackson mls# 20737921 or mls # 804377 also on realtor.com

Last edited by Hotchilligirls; 11-04-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: title not right

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttieflo View Post
hi i have a ranch m/d 4brs 2 1/2 bathes IG pool Large property and we are selling at fair price lt me know if you r interested?
Checking to see if your home is still for sale. It's been a while since you posted.

I'm interested in a 2 family or mother daughter house with at least 4-5 beds, at least 2 and a half baths and a basement. Southern Ocean county would be fine depending on the price and the property taxes. A Bi-level or split level whatever it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or