U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
pvs

1,513 posts, read 1,530,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But the point is moot because you can't get an apartment that cheap in NYC unless you have a roommate anyway.

Not saying this for the fun of discouraging you because if you really want to give New York a shot, you should do it or you'll always regret that you didn't try. You just need to know what the reality is and plan from there.
REALLY nicely stated MQ. I agree 100%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,640,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
FWIW, I was in Harrison two weeks ago, since I had to go into the city for a meeting at this new company I'm working with. I got lost on the way to the PATH station and was driving around Harrison. The place is a dirty, dingy old city that looks like its best times are behind it by a century. I
don't know what the crime rate is, but it looks absolutely horrible.
If you don't know anything about the place, why comment ? I mean, it's one thing to be ignorant, but it's another to actually flaunt it. Crime rate in Harrison isn't that high (much lower than Newark).

The area around the station is a kind of abandoned industrial area. For the most part Harrison is a sleepy residential town and not a bad place for a student to live if you aren't put out by the fact that the suburban bigots and snobs look down their nose at it.

Quote:
And middle class areas in Newark? I don't know of one middle class person in my entire life who seriously considered moving to Newark. I know the Ironbound section isn't supposed to be bad, but that brings me back to my original point. Who in God's name would want to live in ONE semi-decent area of a city filled with drugs, gang members, criminals, illegal aliens and welfare cases?
Why not ? As long as they are far enough from the cities problems to be largely unaffected by them, they might not care.

Quote:
Who would ever send their children into the pit of hell that is that city's school district?
Not all the cities schools are terrible, and not everyone goes to state schools.

Quote:
and everyone of driving age owns and drives a car as a necessity of life. Bottom line.
You'd be surprised by how many people in Hoboken and Jersey City don't find this "necessity" necessary.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM

63 posts, read 85,319 times
I have a question..... I have found A LOT of 1bd or studio apartments on craigslist in manhattan, queens, & brooklyn for at or under $1100/month.... listed by realtors and owners... whats the catch?? because you all seem to be saying this is impossible??? but it seems possible and easy to find! I know some of them may be in bad neighborhoods but Ive looked up alot of them and they seem to be in safe areas

I was very aware that public transportation was not free, but it sure doesnt cost over $500/month like im paying now for a car.

Are waitressing jobs still hard to find in NYC?? I dont mind working a 2nd job waitressing.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
I have a question..... I have found A LOT of 1bd or studio apartments on craigslist in manhattan, queens, & brooklyn for at or under $1100/month.... listed by realtors and owners... whats the catch?? because you all seem to be saying this is impossible??? but it seems possible and easy to find! I know some of them may be in bad neighborhoods but Ive looked up alot of them and they seem to be in safe areas

I was very aware that public transportation was not free, but it sure doesnt cost over $500/month like im paying now for a car.

Are waitressing jobs still hard to find in NYC?? I dont mind working a 2nd job waitressing.
It's possible. Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens span a very broad range of neighborhoods and therefore prices. It wouldn't surprise me if you could find a place in Harlem for example in that range.

When looking in Brooklyn/Queens, keep in mind that some neighborhoods in Brooklyn/Queens either aren't very good or are a long way from Manhattan. You will need to do your research. I don't think any neighborhoods in Manhattan are downright bad these days, but generally the cheaper areas (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights) aren't as nice as the more expensive ones (e.g. Upper East or West side, Tribeca, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, etc)

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM

12,336 posts, read 13,002,119 times
There is a slight problem here , you said in another posting you have no work. The Economy around here except for Temp. Retail and Cooperate is pretty unstable. I would suggest not moving here till you have something more solid. Since you have 2 dogs its going to be extremely hard finding something. Unless you don't mind living in a satellite city , like Rahway , White Plains , New Rochelle , Summit , New Brunswick which all have cheaper rents. Some of those cities have a small but growing artist population and a few of those cities have a Large College population. Its going to be very rough transitioning regardless of where you move.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:23 AM

912 posts, read 1,257,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
If you don't know anything about the place, why comment ? I mean, it's one thing to be ignorant, but it's another to actually flaunt it. Crime rate in Harrison isn't that high (much lower than Newark).
Oh, come on. Crime rate "lower than Newark" is like saying a place is "cooler than hell."

Considering I drove around the whole damn town three weeks ago when my iPhone's mobile GPS had an "accident on the bed" (yeah, I'm cheap for not buying the official ATT service), I wouldn't say my opinion is based in ignorance whatsoever. I saw it - and it ain't looking like a desirable place to live as far as I'm concerned. I actually would not have commented on Harrison if I hadn't recently been there.

Quote:
Why not ? As long as they are far enough from the cities problems to be largely unaffected by them, they might not care.
Why not? Because, geez, maybe I'd want to wander more than a block from my house without fearing for my life! Look, as a lifelong Shore area guy I'm not big on ANY town that doesn't have an ocean beach, but even I'll admit there are some really nice towns in North Jersey. I don't know about you, but I sure would care if there was chaos going on blocks away from my house, even if it didn't directly affect my single, solitary block.

Quote:
Not all the cities schools are terrible, and not everyone goes to state schools.
No, they're not all terrible. But come on, a lot of things have to happen before kids get into the "fancy" schools in these cities. And private school? You know how much that costs these days?

Quote:
You'd be surprised by how many people in Hoboken and Jersey City don't find this "necessity" necessary.
My point exactly. There are like 10 towns in New Jersey where cars aren't necessary. That leaves, I dunno, like 520 towns where they are necessary. And call me crazy, but every time I hear the news it sounds like trains, buses, etc. are delayed, overheating, having technical difficulties. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to live the Hoboken lifestyle from doing so (I'd live there too if I worked in NYC!) but for probably 90% of Garden Staters, a car is a fact of life.

FWIW, I almost got smacked by a driver on a cell phone on Route 72 in Manahawkin this afternoon. If I could do without a car - and just keep my 19-foot fishing boat for cruising behind the wheel when I felt like it - I'd be happy as a clam. But as long as I live in the Jersey 'burbs I'll be rockin' my manual transmission sidekick. If anyone would like an '05 Audi A4 with 120K highway miles on the clock, hit me up. Only drove it to church on Sunday, promise.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post

1BR for that price is gonna be in a rough neighborhood. But studios at that price are do-able. I had a studio on E. 81 St. and 2nd Ave. for that price a few years back when I had a 1-year gig in NYC.

Waitressing jobs are there in NYC. A former girlfriend of mine in NYC made her rent working at Starbucks part-time, believe it or not. Her day job was at Bank of America. But honestly, try to find a job you like to do, even if it's a part-time gig. It's NYC - there is literally EVERY job you could ever want (or not want) at your fingertips. Even in this economy, EVERY field has openings. You'll be miserable if you're not doing what you want. I learned that first thing outta college.

Cold-e-mail for jobs. In my new job (in NJ) I had a guy e-mail me today about advertising with our online media company. I have nothing to do with advertising (I'm an editorial guy), and referred him to someone who handles that. But he mentioned in a follow-up e-mail that his daughter is a recent college grad looking for a job. I told him to send over her resume. I'm looking for an assistant for editing, and honestly, I think she'll probably get the job. Reaching out personally helps. Go for it! I got about three jobs that way in the past! I'm in my 20s in a supervisory role and I got my experience by bucking up and e-mailing the CEO if that's who I had to e-mail. I'm no motivational speaker, but reach for the stars! Everyone is a human being, so speak up and be heard!

Last edited by TheGambler; 11-11-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There is a slight problem here , you said in another posting you have no work. The Economy around here except for Temp. Retail and Cooperate is pretty unstable. I would suggest not moving here till you have something more solid. Since you have 2 dogs its going to be extremely hard finding something. Unless you don't mind living in a satellite city , like Rahway , White Plains , New Rochelle , Summit , New Brunswick which all have cheaper rents. Some of those cities have a small but growing artist population and a few of those cities have a Large College population. Its going to be very rough transitioning regardless of where you move.
Nex, sorry to ruffle your feather in this thread (you're a cool guy overall!!) but just speakin' the truth as I see it.

On this point, you're 100% correct. The OP should have something, anything, lined up before moving. Honestly, New Brunswick isn't a bad option for her. Central Jersey, college atmosphere, is a nice place to start out. The issue for her is going to be the fact that a million people in her position have the exact same plan as her. My girlfriend of several years ago had the dream of moving to NYC and becoming a Broadway actress at 18. Well, so did thousands of other 18 year old girls. She's doing fine today, but she moved back to Fresno, California where she was from. It's a worthwhile experience, and she was one of the most amazing people I've ever met in my life, but she went through hell living here.

Plans often sound a lot better in our dreams than in reality.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Oh, come on. Crime rate "lower than Newark" is like saying a place is "cooler than hell."
Crime rate is much lower than Newark. According to the city-data crime index, it's lower than Hoboken. Face it, you just got it wrong.

Quote:
Why not? Because, geez, maybe I'd want to wander more than a block from my house without fearing for my life!
That kind of logic may hold up in a small town. In a town that is 10s of square miles in size, however, you may have to "wander more than a block" (more like a few miles) to get from the better part if town to a bad area.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 AM

398 posts, read 152,882 times
I don't think the OP has really thought this whole idea through and come up with a tenable long-term plan. This just sounds like she is "chasing her dream" and will likely end up financially drained from the whole NYC experience. Seriously, I visit NYC from Jersey for a day or two and I feel like my wallet has been pried open against my will! NYC is EXPENSIVE and anyone who thinks they will survive on under 50k in that city is looking for a huge disappointment. I know people making twice that (100k+) who are still living with multiple roommates in a not-so-great part of NYC just so they can save up a few bucks to eventually buy a house (probably in Jersey). Once the big-city excitement wears off you don't want to return home empty-handed or in debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey