U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 24,404 times

Advertisements

Here is a little more info. I hope it helps.
This is site of another real estate agency.
Jersey City Homes --

Ask about rental at "Westside station" condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,103 times
Default In defense of Bergen/Lafayette :)

I came to B/L two years from NYC. Don't believe all the talk about crime and filth.

I guess we all have different tolerance levels, but there is crime and filth in downtown JC as well! Also, B/L varies greatly by block. Some blocks (like Ocean and MLK) aren't the most pleasing. But, even there, I feel like most of my fear is self-created. I've never heard of bystanders getting hurt or being bothered there. Other blocks, like Garfield and Claremont are just fine to me.

Almost everyone in B/L is working class and black/latino. So, if you mind that, don't move here. Also, not the ideal place to raise a child. But, if you're single, want a cheap place to live that's close to NYC, and are tolerant of other cultures and lifestyles, B/L is a great place to be!

And, same thing goes for Greenville. Again, some sections are scary and others are very welcoming.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 AM

26 posts, read 157,767 times
Default jersey city rocks

I love jersey city , [i] think it is a great area the only part I dont reccommend is greenville

Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 PM

32 posts, read 154,574 times
Default Jersey City

I live on Grove St., two blocks from the Path. It is generally safe here. You just have to pay attention to your surroundings. You're in a city, and there is crime...so you have to use your head. Newport is fine, most of Downtown is alright. I would stay out of Greenville. The Heights if fine, but I would stay closer to the lightrail station.

Again, this all depends on what you feel comfortable with. Jersey City, no matter what anyone says, still has a high crime rate. One of the highest in the nation. Downtown is probably the safest. A few blocks off of the Congress St. lightrail you are pretty safe, too. The Heights and Journal square, while it isn't even remotely as bad as what you might find in parts of Newark or Camden, or even the Greenville section, still has problems. Again, I would have no problem living in the Heights, but it is what you feel comfortable with.

Being that you're a 20 something, you might like the Downtown/Newport area more...there is more to do.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 61,945 times
Smile Jersey City Heights female opinion

I live in Jersey City Heights on Palisade Ave near the 2nd st light rail stop that brings you to Hoboken/Weehaken/Newport Mall and beyond! There is a direct bus into NYC on the corner. Also a bus will bring you to Hoboken to the Path (87).

I have lived here for 3 years and have seen a great improvement in the area. There are many new, and newly renovated condos for sale or rent. My condo is brand new renovated / has parking / laundry on my floor / a garden / and is a large duplex in a newer brick elevator building built in the late eighties. There is actually a lot of affordable large apts here in the area which is great because I used to live in the East Village, nyc where apts where SMALL.

I also have friends who own Victorian homes that rent to tenents if you are interested. Some like new, some like historic.

Almost everyone in my building works in NYC - and this location is great especially if you work in midtown.

If you rent in the "Heights" section you want to be located-from Odgen Ave (considered best) to Central Ave. Do not go further. Also the buses swing from Ferry down to Congress St and out so you want to be in there somewhere (within 3 blocks)

The 'new" people moving here are ex-new yorkers, ex-hobokeners, young working people looking for a decent, nice size, affordable apt. I have totally made new friends with people in my building and others in the neighborhood and for the most part everyone is nice.

There is a couple places people go out to here as well as many people walk to Hoboken as it is one block from where I live here on Palisade. Jersey City is building special steps down to Hoboken within 6 months at Franklin and Mountain Rd going to the light Rail. I like the close proximity to Hoboken because my husband and I like to go out there-and that's easy to walk to from here. ( I also have a car )

This area is ok, in general, not overly dangerous but you need to be aware.
The only other areas I reccomend are downtown near Grove and along the water(Newport)

Ps- this area is a mix of old and new - in General moving up growing into the "Next Hoboken" that is what everyone says anyway. It is not high rise at all 4 stories and under for 85 %.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM

72 posts, read 253,987 times
I live in Jersey City, the Greenville section. I've lived here all my life without problems. Greenville is not a bad area, if you want a good deal on a rental and decent hard working middle class neighbors, try looking "below" (East) Kennedy Boulevard towards Westside Avenue, going North up until Virginia/Ege (Avoiding Grant Ave!). Nice mix of families in that general area, everyone minds their business and just gets along well. Word of advice, avoid basement apartments in the this area, because of the flash flooding that occurs.

But paraphrasing what JerseyCity79 said some tolerate the "urban" environment more than others. Like most cities, you have all types of characters, many are harmless and others you just avoid. Same type of caution goes with neighborhoods, common sense leads in the right direction 98% of the time.

Downtown is pretty Mickey Mouse right now and is pretty safe to wander around. Police presence everywhere protecting the Manhattanites who live here now. Hoboken is of course everything that you have already heard. And if you want to spice things up, buses go to Bergenline shopping district in Union City,WNY, and North Bergen, where you can find great food and shopping for all over Latino America.

As far as the Heights, it used to be a great place to live. Lately it's become pretty rowdy, with the exception of the Manhattanites on some secluded streets. But anything near Central Avenue is sketchy.

Good Luck.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 AM

6,271 posts, read 15,512,369 times
I'm moving to the JSQ/McGinley Sq area now. We're renting a nice, newly renovated 2-BR condo on JFK Blvd north of St. Peters College. The neighborhood is quiet, with tree-lined streets and it's within walking distance of the PATH. It's not as glamorous/fabulous/whatever you want to call it as Newport/Exchange Pl/Van Vorst Pk/Hamilton Pk, but I don't feel that it's unsafe or undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey