U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM

39 posts, read 151,058 times

Advertisements

I've recently been thinking about looking into apartments in Jersey City, although I have some hesitations being a 20something female. I would be living with my boyfriend but would still like to feel safe walking around by myself and also having access to some park areas would be nice. We're looking for something that would be close enough for my boyfriend to walk to the train station for his commute to NYC.

I've heard people talk about the waterfront area being nice, but expensive. I've also heard people here talking about Grove St. I really have no clue about the different areas, and in my online searches, I've seen it divided into:
1. Jersey City Heights
2. Jersey City /Bergen-Lafayette
3. Jersey City/Greenville
4. Jersey City/Journal Square
5. Jersey City/McGinley Square
6. Jersey City/the Heights
7. Jersey City/West Side
8. and plain old Jersey City

When some sections have apts for $750 I'm obviously a little suspicious. We're looking to spend up to $1300 per month, give or take. Can anyone help me sort this out? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 07:53 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,572,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly6 View Post
I've recently been thinking about looking into apartments in Jersey City, although I have some hesitations being a 20something female. I would be living with my boyfriend but would still like to feel safe walking around by myself and also having access to some park areas would be nice. We're looking for something that would be close enough for my boyfriend to walk to the train station for his commute to NYC.

I've heard people talk about the waterfront area being nice, but expensive. I've also heard people here talking about Grove St. I really have no clue about the different areas, and in my online searches, I've seen it divided into:
1. Jersey City Heights
7. Jersey City/West Side

When some sections have apts for $750 I'm obviously a little suspicious. We're looking to spend up to $1300 per month, give or take. Can anyone help me sort this out? Thanks!!
none of those sections would be considered nice, some might be a bit safer than others and some like greenville are just horrible places

Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM

92 posts, read 263,046 times
Totally agree. I know a Jersey City cop, who is a family friend. According to him almost no parts of JC are safe to live in. Of course there are many on this board who claim that JC is making a comeback...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 PM

96 posts, read 579,639 times
I can vouch for Newport, that's about it. I'd imagine it's not within your budget though

Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM

209 posts, read 1,552,496 times
JC has a lot of neighborhoods, but you can broadly group them into about 4-5 sections:

Downtown (area east of the Turnpike, north of the Morris Canal and south of Hoboken) is the safest area of JC and by far the most expensive. This is the area with both the waterfront and Grove Street. Downtown is definitely still somewhat variable as far as safety goes, with the area east of Marin Blvd overall quite safe, areas between Jersey Ave and Marin still pretty safe, and the area west of Jersey still relatively safe but getting a bit shadier. (West of Jersey you're also getting a bit far from any PATH stations). It's the nicest area of JC overall but you would probably be paying around $1500 for a 1 bedroom (and more like $2000 east of Marin). I know a number of women who have about a 5-7 minute walk to the Grove Street PATH who occasionally walk home alone at night and are generally comfortable doing so, but if it is quite late a few would spend $3 on a cab from the PATH.

The Heights is the part of JC west of Hoboken (it's mostly cut off from Hoboken though since it's on top of a cliff, the Palisades). This is overall probably the second safest area of JC, although again it varies almost block by block. Depending on where you are in the Heights, you can take an elevator down to the light rail in Hoboken and then take that to the PATH. This area is a bit cheaper. if you're close to the light rail elevator you might feel comfortable walking around by yourself at night but it depends on your comfort level.

The Journal Square/McGinley Square area (just below the Heights, around the Journal Square PATH_ is more so-so. It has great transit connections (as the PATH is right there), and the Little India area is sort of interesting, but its rougher and lower-income and crime is a bit higher. It's not the worst part of the city, but it's not great either.

The West Side and Bergen-Lafayette are south of Journal Square. Both have some great Victorian homes, and the area right by the Liberty State Park light rail stop is getting some development. Again, if you're right by the light rail you might be okay walking by yourself but this area might be a bit dicey for a woman to be walking around alone. Until you are very familiar with JC you should avoid this area, though, as while some parts of the area are ok others you really don't want to go in.

Greenville is the southern part of Jersey City, and you should definitely avoid it. This, and parts of Bergen-Lafayette, are where most of the serious crime in JC occurs.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,589,821 times
when I was 20 something, I lived in Newport with my husband. I work for night shift and walk to/from office. I feel safe there and there is always a safe guard service in the area. Now we live in gated community (society hill) and I don't find any problem to walk around the area as well.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 12,681 times
Default JC is OK

I live in the Jounal Square/Little India area and as a single 30 yr. old male I feel very safe. (then again, I am not worried in Marcy at midnight) The whole area is lit up like Christmas. This is not to say you don't have a few bums and drunks. It is definitely an up and coming area and I would not hesitate to buy in the area if I could afford it. Lately I have been seeing a lot of young people moving into the area, but these are often shut-in types, who commute between their new luxury apt., thier job in lower Manhattan, and Hoboken for nights out. They rarely do anything in thier own neighborhood. If there is anything lame about Jounal Square it's these people. (soft, fat, little grubs if you ask me) If there are any highlights in the area I would say they are the Loewes Jersey theatre, Little India, The Brennan Courthouse and the Community College. There are also some good take-out resturants.

They only complaint I have is the garbage collection. They could do more to keep the area clean. They are planning a large redevelopment of the Square with twin office towers and retail. This will be a whole new neighborhood in a few years.

Last edited by cgirard; 07-09-2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,647 times
I lived in Jersey City for 26 years (and I'm only 28). Don’t be scared off by people saying no place in JC is safe. Overall, its not an exciting city as nearby Manhattan but by no means is “everywhere unsafe”. Definitely don’t go to Greenville though. But neighboring Greenville is the west side area where I was from. I lived on Virginia Ave between Westside & Mallory. That was a nice area and safe in my opinion. Sure, from time to time, you get characters walking by on West Side Ave. But it was perfectly safe. I walked to grammar school all the time and nothing ever happened to me. There’s a light rail & a # 80 bus on West Side that you can take to the Path train station to go into the city. But it’s a little longer commute than Grove St area or Newport. It’s about 20-30 mins just to get to the PATH station in Journal Square.

It all depends on your perspective, so if you’ve lived most of your life in the suburbs, not used to a different mix of characters on the street, you might think all of JC is bad. But if you’re used to city life, you’ll do just fine in most areas of Jersey City. Like I said, Greenville is the exception– not that great and it is much further from transportation into the nyc.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 60,237 times
Default Journal Square Is Up and Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirard View Post
I live in the Jounal Square/Little India area and as a single 30 yr. old male I feel very safe. (then again, I am not worried in Marcy at midnight) The whole area is lit up like Christmas. This is not to say you don't have a few bums and drunks. It is definitely an up and coming area and I would not hesitate to buy in the area if I could afford it. Lately I have been seeing a lot of young people moving into the area, but these are often shut-in types, who commute between their new luxury apt., thier job in lower Manhattan, and Hoboken for nights out. They rarely do anything in thier own neighborhood. If there is anything lame about Jounal Square it's these people. (soft, fat, little grubs if you ask me) If there are any highlights in the area I would say they are the Loewes Jersey theatre, Little India, The Brennan Courthouse and the Community College. There are also some good take-out resturants.

They only complaint I have is the garbage collection. They could do more to keep the area clean. They are planning a large redevelopment of the Square with twin office towers and retail. This will be a whole new neighborhood in a few years.
I second that Journal Square is OK. My sister has lived there for 5 years now and is a white female in her 20s and has never had a problem at night walking home alone. Journal Square has come a long way in the past few years and I definately think this area has a lot of potential. My husband and I have been seeing the transformation over the years and are now trying to buy a condo there before the prices start to sky rocket like they did in Hoboken, where we've been renting and are being priced out by increasing rent. A few years ago downtown and the Grove Street area were pretty rough neighborhoods, and I'm amazed at the transformation that's already taken place. I have a friend renting near VanVorst park paying $2000 a month, and this was almost unheard of not too long ago! Journal Square still has affordable rent (for now)and that's why my sister and husband, an artist have continued to stay. Although it doesn't have the nightlife of downtown and Hoboken, it depends on what you're looking for. If you need the bar/club scene then I'd say stick with Hoboken or downtown, but for me I'll take cheaper rent and enjoy dinner in India Square and a classic movie at the historic Jersey Loews

Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 AM

3 posts, read 24,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly6 View Post

1. Jersey City Heights
7. Jersey City/West Side

I have lived in and around Jersey City for many years. You can not afford Grove street. Most of the housing close to the Path is expensive.
Here is the name of a real estate agent I trust.
FOR RENT IN SOCIETY HILL @ JERSEY CITY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey