Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 37,285 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - my wife and I, both in our late 20's, are contemplating a move out of Long Island and into New Jersey. We've a number of close friends in Northern New Jersey, most notably in Branchville, and have been considering a move, in particular, to Hopatcong.

I've read various threads about living in Hopatcong, New Jersey, and they've been all over the board. Truly believing that there are positive and negatives about living anywhere, I would love to hear some encouraging words from any members that have lived in the town or are likewise considering the move, or at least a fair confirmation of the negatives. Many of what is considered negative about the town is well-documented, on this site and everywhere else - the single gateway to 80, the weak school district, the snowy weather conditions, the lack of 'things to do'. But taking into consideration the well documented negatives of life in the area of Long Island I live in, I do believe that there are obvious benefits to living in Hopatcong - houses are 33% less expensive, taxes about 60%, proximity to New York is comparable, living expenses are comparable if not better, traffic certainly can't be much worse, and the region offers a natural setting that hasn't been available on Long Island in fifty years.

Is it fair to believe that my children (I have none at the moment though my wife and I are trying) will be able to attend an improved Hopatcong School district some day, considering that I am at least six years away from sending them there?
Does anyone else believe that the housing prices there are among the most affordable in the greater New York metro region and that they may possibly be a decent investment in the long run (especially if there are like minded families like us)?
Is the 'drug problem' that teens blog about if you Google 'live in Hopatcong' really worse than it is in Nassau County, Long Island, schools (where, if you aren't familiar, there are plenty of kids who sit around and smoke all weekend long because "there's nothing to do" (besides hang out in sumps and behind 7-11's)?
Is it wrong to think that there are opportunities for outdoor activities that you couldn't get on Long Island?

Even if you have never been to Long Island, I would love to hear your opinions. I work in New York and it takes me over 1 1/2 hours to get there now, so I have absolutely no problem with adding a few minutes to the commute. My parents aren't leaving Long Island so we'd still be there often enough (probably traveling back and forth by train).

I'm a Long Islander at heart, but the congestion, attitude and prices have brought me to a breaking point. Considering that racism, drug problems, dissatisfaction and gossip are present in any town in this country, are they really that much worse in Hopatcong? Having driven through the town, it actually seems rather nice to me (of course there are nicer parts than others), so I thought I would try to get an insiders opinion.

Thanks, everyone, in advance.

-Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 PM

109 posts, read 345,372 times
Sounds like your mind is made up, but I wouldn't count on Hopatcong being "gentrified" anytime soon. You might want to check out the Landing and Shore Hills part of Roxbury, the next bordering town. Taxes and housing may be comparable, but the school system is better. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Hopatcong is one of the least expensive places in Northwest Jersey - but if you are considering a 1.5 hr commute into NYC - you have other choices that may be a bit better school system wise and for resale down the road. Hopatcong doesn't change much as far as appreciation in the property values. It's not a horrible township...just somewhat depressed... lower income families so I don't see much improvement. Expand your search a little further west... Mt. Olive Twp which includes Budd Lake and Flanders, Netcong is cute and convenient to Rt. 80 (all morris Co.), Byram, Stanhope...(Sussex County) or Hackettstown and Allamuchy (Warren Co.) are great areas but will add about 10 to 15 mins to your commute. There is a bus in Allamuchy that takes you into NYC - 1 hr. 40 mins I believe... or the train but I hear that's a long commute - 2 hrs. And if you decide on Hopatcong, watch out for the sewer assessment! They recently installed city sewer/water systems and most homeowners I believe are responsible to pay about 12K each.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Sounds like you have already decided...but just for the fun of it.. You can do better than Hopatcong for the same or not much higher dollars. Hopatcong is very lower income and the schools are worse than weak. That is not going to improve in the next 6years. I know people who have had houses on the market in Hopatcong for on and off 2 years and they ain't moving. Guess why? Towns close by (mostly the ones Wiley listed above) are a MUCH better bet.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
You said you read the other things said about Hopatcong yet everything you asked were answered in those posts. Go back and sit still for a little bit and go through them. What you will find in the most recent posts are old timers talking about the lake and all the great things to do around the area. That alone should give you an idea about how real people feel about the town.

Dont worry about the schools. Like pro said a couple posts back, if you want to worry about the schools then try Landing or even Byram.

One thing that bothered locals is that their parks were full by 6AM on the weekend mornings. They even had to install signs on 80 to inform drivers that the park was full so everyone would not hop off trying to get in Hopatcong State park. When I say everyone. I mean New Yorkers. We always asked dont you all have your own parks? Or is Jones Beach full by 4AM?

And the mess they left that park in made it look like the tornado that just hit Georgia. Good ol NJ took out all the trash cans about 15 years ago and ask the visitors to take their garbage home. Yea right. It gets left where they dropped it.

Anyway to experience the wonderful lake life you have to sacrifice that "clout address" crap. Nothing wrong with Hopcatong. The older sections are all 1 and 2 bedroom bungalos on 40 X 100 lots but anything built in the last 20 years will have a few more sf of land and more normal homes.

If you are coming from LI you must already be wealthy. Why not just buy a waterfront?

Hopatcong is less expensive then anyplace else in Morris, Sussex or Hunterdon. You get what you pay for in life. I see nothing wrong with Hopatcong at all. A school is a school is a school. What makes a good school as opposed to a bad school anyway? Come on people. When we were school age we used to just color in those silly little state test cards. Never read a single question. So those silly scores are about as telling as.........

Go for it. You will forget all about LI in the first week you settle in.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
when I was in school I was a burnout and played Deep Purple, ohh the good old days!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 PM

22 posts, read 61,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

One thing that bothered locals is that their parks were full by 6AM on the weekend mornings. They even had to install signs on 80 to inform drivers that the park was full so everyone would not hop off trying to get in Hopatcong State park. When I say everyone. I mean New Yorkers. We always asked dont you all have your own parks? Or is Jones Beach full by 4AM?

And the mess they left that park in made it look like the tornado that just hit Georgia. Good ol NJ took out all the trash cans about 15 years ago and ask the visitors to take their garbage home. Yea right. It gets left where they dropped it.
:lol: Dude, I believe you are referring to THE park not the parks. The park being Hopatcong State Park which is small in comparison to Jones Beach and so on. I grew up near Long Beach Island in NJ and am fully aware of Full Beach signs. That was a park that could handle thousands of people. Hopatcong State Park can handle maybe 100 :lol:

We have a few local parks that we love and can visit for free whenever we want. :wink:

I'm young and love the area. You just have to open your eyes when house shopping. Some areas need to have the old timers revamp their lots and others have been revamped.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 42,372 times
wow. im glad im not the only one who thinks hopatcong is wayyyy overrated. i have lived here for the last 10 years. wish i never found the place. dont get me wrong...a towns a town. there are pros and cons to them all. i have over the last 4 years realized that there are way more cons here. it started when i moved from the more bungalowish section to a "one peice" house. i then found out all my neighbors think they are high class hopatcongites. i always liked hopatcong because i felt i could run out in the morning to the deli, not showered, in my pajamas and grab a gallon of milk. noone would give me a 'boy what a scank' look. i still can do this without a whole bunch of looks. chances are there is someone worse looking in the store too. ok, thats a pro. and maybe the 'whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine' attitude is just the road im on. (stop letting your dog crap on my yard!)
i do not find the schools bad. there are only bad kids. if your kid is bad, he/she will not do well in school. that doesnt matter where you are. i didnt grow up here, i didnt go to school here..my kid is though. seems fine so far.
there is enough to do here. flea market is only about 40 minutes bowling alleys, shopping, all about 15 minutes away. besides, you could just go out and clean your yard or mow your lawn...otherwise you will be fined from the town.
the sewer. big thorn in my side. they said the whole town was getting them..it would only be about $150 a quarter. not the whole town got them. slowly the price climbed to $318 quarterly. we just received a letter from the town saying the price was going up to $350 quarterly because of some crap that they didnt figure into blah blah blah. but the good news is that it shouldnt go up again until 2010! wow, thanks, hopatcong! from what i heard this was a 50 year thing. im gonna be dead and my grandchildren will still be paying so i can flush my toilets. my last wish is to be creamated and flushed into the expensive hopatcong sewer system so i can see what a fantastic work it is.
they are also now talking about getting rid of the garbage service that is included in our taxes. (mine are 4k a year, btw, for a 2 bedroom ranch) (oh, not including the sewer...another what, 1200?) w0nder how much extra that will be...those beautiful woods are going to be littered with garbage soon.
alright, what did i forget? i must say, i would make a move within hopatcong if i could find a place that did not have sewers and was not threatened by the garbage issue (if i could find such a euphoria) but i dont think thats possible. i would like to get the hell out of here and not look back.
mt olive is a better choice, denville, even dover would be better. there is always private schools. good luck. i have my own problems.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatehopatcong View Post
wow. im glad im not the only one who thinks hopatcong is wayyyy overrated.
Wow, your name must really say it all. You created an account just to vent on a 7 month-old thread?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 AM

9 posts, read 42,372 times
i know....i was actually looking to see if i could find out when they are going to pave my street so my shocks could get a break....i ran into this thread...by the way, why are you looking? HAR HAR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey