U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM

163 posts, read 491,295 times

Advertisements

I've been posting on both the NJ and NY boards since I'm looking for rentals in both places. On the NJ board there's a lot of talk about how dangerous certain cities are and how many of them are dangerous. Reading some of these posts it makes it seem like parts of NJ are a war zone and if you step one little foot in many cities, you'll get shot. I don't hear that from New Yorkers as much. It's odd to me since STATISTICALLY NJ is actually considered a "safe" state. There's less crime than NY and other nearby states, even taking size into consideration. Yet some of you here almost seem very intent on saying how dangerous it is. So if it's that dangerous, why live here? Some of you area making me think NY is actually a safer place, at least in the mind of residents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,624,383 times
No , not really....if you read up on the facts its really safe. Some parts of Newark are really bad ie the South and West Wards , Irvington , East Orange , Camden , Trenton are really bad but the rest are decent average cities. NYC crime rate is increasing , which is not a suprise....The problem on these boards is Suburbanites tend to lie and make things seem worse then they really are , you can see that in the CT , CA and MA boards as well. To be honest why would beleave anything typed on this site without checking. Some posters on this site have a Racial Diversity problem with the cities...... The Cities back in the 90s used to be really bad , but these days there decent except some. Also never beleave anything about NJ posted on the NY boards. There are plently of nice cities in NJ like Rahway , Linden , Elizabeth , Hackensack Morristown , Clifton , Jersey City , Hoboken , Bayonne , Weehawken....Harrison

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM

303 posts, read 636,175 times
It's simply people trolling, as they say. Someone who goes online spreading lies and putting a negative limelight on an issue. Though Newark, Camden, Irvington, E.Orange, and Trenton do have high crime rates. Jersey City, Paterson, Union City, and Elizabeth have relatively small crime rates yet people would swear on their mothers this are "hood". I live in JC and it is not that bad. Of course things do happen like they would in any city, big or small. Crime is actually lower compared to the 90s like Nexis stated. He is also right about many suburbanites who don't have any idea of what actually goes on in a city. New Jersey is a great place to live, not perfect, but great.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 PM

912 posts, read 2,070,603 times
The simple answer to this question is: There are like, I dunno, 8 cities in New Jersey that are filled with crime and miserable. There are like 500 other towns that are safe as Mayberry. Overall, New Jersey is a very safe state.

Also, crime in a particular "state" is a pretty silly statistic, especially if you're dealing with a state as big as New York. I often hear this kind of stat spouted with reference to Florida as well. It doesn't make any sense. Every state will have dangerous cities and cities with virtually no crime at all. Choose a safe town and you'll be fine, whether here, New York, Florida, Wyoming, etc. etc. etc.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
The simple answer to this question is: There are like, I dunno, 8 cities in New Jersey that are filled with crime and miserable. There are like 500 other towns that are safe as Mayberry. Overall, New Jersey is a very safe state.

Also, crime in a particular "state" is a pretty silly statistic, especially if you're dealing with a state as big as New York. I often hear this kind of stat spouted with reference to Florida as well. It doesn't make any sense. Every state will have dangerous cities and cities with virtually no crime at all. Choose a safe town and you'll be fine, whether here, New York, Florida, Wyoming, etc. etc. etc.
Theres a classic example of a Suburbanite talking trash about the cities.....whens the last time you were in Newark or JC or NB? Of course towns are safer then the cities ,that goes for every city in the US ......For the record in form the Middle Class Suburbs of Bergen County.....i used to beleave all the cities were bad , but after some exploring i found that out to be far form the truth , most of the Rumors were unfounded or stretched out. So yes ikno where your coming with this ,but i think you and other ppl need to stop living in a Suburban bubble and get out and explore the state more. Crime isn't limited to the cities , there are suburban gangs and some suburbs have a huge drug problem , not all of them are near the cities either.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 11-13-2010 at 11:04 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM

912 posts, read 2,070,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres a classic example of a Suburbanite talking trash about the cities.....whens the last time you were in Newark or JC or NB? Of course towns are safer then the cities ,that goes for every city in the US ......For the record in form the Middle Class Suburbs of Bergen County.....i used to beleave all the cities were bad , but after some exploring i found that out to be far form the truth , most of the Rumors were unfounded or stretched out. So yes ikno where your coming with this ,but i think you and other ppl need to stop living in a Suburban bubble and get out and explore the state more. Crime isn't limited to the cities , there are suburban gangs and some suburbs have a huge drug problem , not all of them are near the cities either.
This is a classic case of some kid wandering into Newark and thinking it's safe because he, personally, wasn't robbed, carjacked or murdered. I've been there. I remember walking around the Queensbridge projects in Queens because my favorite rapper Nas sang about it and I wanted to see what it looked like. Nothing happened to me. Got some miiiiiighty odd looks, though. Just because I'm alive doesn't mean it's not one of the most crime-filled, dangerous number of blocks in America.

I happened to be in Newark about three weeks ago - place looked like a dump everywhere I went, seedy characters creeping on every street. New Brunswick isn't terrible, never said it was. Of course, it's a college town as much as it's a regular city. East Orange, Irvington, Camden, Trenton, most of Asbury Park, some sections of Atlantic City are all war zones. Would rather walk the friendly streets of Baghdad than any of those places at night.

But the bottom line is that the crime is pretty controlled and limited to certain areas in New Jersey. The vast majority (probably 95%) of municipalities in New Jersey are extremely safe.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
This is a classic case of some kid wandering into Newark and thinking it's safe because he, personally, wasn't robbed, carjacked or murdered. I've been there. I remember walking around the Queensbridge projects in Queens because my favorite rapper Nas sang about it and I wanted to see what it looked like. Nothing happened to me. Got some miiiiiighty odd looks, though. Just because I'm alive doesn't mean it's not one of the most crime-filled, dangerous number of blocks in America.

I happened to be in Newark about three weeks ago - place looked like a dump everywhere I went, seedy characters creeping on every street. New Brunswick isn't terrible, never said it was. Of course, it's a college town as much as it's a regular city. East Orange, Irvington, Camden, Trenton, most of Asbury Park, some sections of Atlantic City are all war zones. Would rather walk the friendly streets of Baghdad than any of those places at night.

But the bottom line is that the crime is pretty controlled and limited to certain areas in New Jersey. The vast majority (probably 95%) of municipalities in New Jersey are extremely safe.
Im not a kid i'm 20 years old and very open minded but i hate ppl who are not and spew rumors......some parts of Newark look really bad , but there are some really nice parts.....next time you go to Newark maybe you should take pictures to prove you were there and in what area..... Asbury Park is improving , i give them credit for that , you seem to put down every city in favor of the towns......they were bad in the past , but there improving........I think ppl focus in on the negatives in NJ cities and block out the positives.......your actually hurting the states economy by scaring off big businesses form moving to the cities.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 11-14-2010 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I've been posting on both the NJ and NY boards since I'm looking for rentals in both places. On the NJ board there's a lot of talk about how dangerous certain cities are and how many of them are dangerous. Reading some of these posts it makes it seem like parts of NJ are a war zone and if you step one little foot in many cities, you'll get shot. I don't hear that from New Yorkers as much. It's odd to me since STATISTICALLY NJ is actually considered a "safe" state. There's less crime than NY and other nearby states, even taking size into consideration. Yet some of you here almost seem very intent on saying how dangerous it is. So if it's that dangerous, why live here? Some of you area making me think NY is actually a safer place, at least in the mind of residents.
Most of us don't live in the cities being mentioned as dangerous.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,414,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
When you're talking rentals, there's a good chance you're looking for places in the city. I'd put it down to two factors.

First, NJ doesn't have any attractive cities. Dowtown Jersey City and Hoboken are essentially boroughs of Manhattan.

Also, the NJ board consists primarily of Republican suburbanites. Many such people look down on cities and regard their inhabitants with fear and contempt.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
When you're talking rentals, there's a good chance you're looking for places in the city. I'd put it down to two factors.

First, NJ doesn't have any attractive cities. Dowtown Jersey City and Hoboken are essentially boroughs of Manhattan.

Also, the NJ board consists primarily of Republican suburbanites. Many such people look down on cities and regard their inhabitants with fear and contempt.
Ahem , what?

Thats far form the truth , Elizabeth , Rahway , Morristown , 90% of JC , parts of Paterson , East and North sections of Newark , New Brunswick , Perth Amboy , South Amboy , Vineland , Weehawken , Fort Lee , Hackensack , Secaucus , Union City are all nice. I think ppl need to get out more in this state and get over the stereotype that the cities are bad......which is really a cover for there racist agendas , its the only thing i can honestly link it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey