U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,978,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I lived in NJ for 13 years,and just moved last year, so i'm not ignorant of how things are run there. Even NJ 101.5 makes jokes about the state.
The statement I made is true, because I know how I was treated there. I never felt that I fit in, and I was from Lawrence, LI , ny to begin with which isn't exactly a slum. Here, I'm accepted, and in 1 year I feel that this is more my home than NJ ever was. I live in a Suburb of Nashville now. My daughters friend from NJ came here with her family and asked why the Subdivisions have grand brick entrances and why most of the houses were all brick or stone? Also, Why did I have a Pond, Clubhouse and pool in a single home community? I think she was just envious., but typical NJ.
Exactly! I guess it sort of gets in your blood,even if you're from the north and move south. In VA I knew a girl who was born in CT but she was every bit southern as one could get. As far as being outcast,I was born & raised in NJ but something just didn't feel right so as soon as I was old enough I moved out of state and that's when I started noticing the 'subtle' differences between the states/regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,978,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Hopefully, New Jersey will be soon to follow.
Nah NJ is only first in things involving taking not giving

Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,968,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
nice try. NJ is 1st is giving to the US government and 50th in taking.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,512,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
There is still hope.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,512,035 times
Default New York State is now starting the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
DO YOU THINK NEW JERSEY SHOULD PROCLAIM MARCH 29th, VIETNAM VETERANS DAY

Tennessee is the first state in the union to proclaim March 29th, Vietnam Veterans Day.

For almost 35 years now, Vietnam Veterans have had an underlying need to hear four little words, Thank You and Welcome Home. On March 29 & 30, 2008, this need will be answered in Crossville, Tennessee.

You can get more details at: 2008 will mark start of annual Vietnam Veterans Day

Saying thank you to Vietnam Veterans is not a political thing. It's all about appreciation.

What do you think?
New York State is now starting the process.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM

693 posts, read 1,920,901 times
Default NO! No! No!

NO. Absolutely not, we don't need another "day". Why should Vietnam Vets get their own day, when we already have VETERANS' DAY. I am am very appreciative for all our Vets. do for us, but sorry this need we have to proclaim "days" is just silly.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,221,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
NO. Absolutely not, we don't need another "day". Why should Vietnam Vets get their own day, when we already have VETERANS' DAY. I am am very appreciative for all our Vets. do for us, but sorry this need we have to proclaim "days" is just silly.
The thing about Vietnam that was unlike most of America's other wars, the soldiers got shunned and forgotten when they came home. There was no parade, no blue ribbons, just a: "you made it back...now reintegrate yourself with society."
A lot of soldiers that came back home ended up being homeless

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM

693 posts, read 1,920,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
The thing about Vietnam that was unlike most of America's other wars, the soldiers got shunned and forgotten when they came home. There was no parade, no blue ribbons, just a: "you made it back...now reintegrate yourself with society."
A lot of soldiers that came back home ended up being homeless
Listen, I have a lot of military in my family so don't think I don't get the value of what it is they do. My father was injured in Korea and my brothers served in the Gulf War.

But we all do our jobs everyday, and all we get is labor day. As far as your argument about what they didn't get, it was too long in coming but they also got a memorial in Washington, that didn't change the fact that some of them came home mentally ill and homeless and a "day" won't either. Not for nothing, "you made it back and now you are home"... thats the job, its a gard one, but thats the nature of it. They are Vets... so they get Veterans Day.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,221,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Listen, I have a lot of military in my family so don't think I don't get the value of what it is they do. My father was injured in Korea and my brothers served in the Gulf War.

But we all do our jobs everyday, and all we get is labor day. As far as your argument about what they didn't get, it was too long in coming but they also got a memorial in Washington, that didn't change the fact that some of them came home mentally ill and homeless and a "day" won't either. Not for nothing, "you made it back and now you are home"... thats the job, its a gard one, but thats the nature of it. They are Vets... so they get Veterans Day.
Agreed. I also served (OIF) and have a big military family. It is a hard job, but it does feel good when you come home and someone says: thanks.
My family wasn't able to meet me off the bus when we returned from Iraq but a man I didn't even know came up to me and hugged me. It was then I realized that I didn't know how I would have felt to come back from a war as bad as Vietnam with no kind of love. I think I would've went mad.
Vietnam vets unlike their predecessors didn't get that love. For a long time Vietnam wasn't even recognized as a 'real' war. Hell, I wouldn't mind if every kind of war this country had got a 'day'

Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM

86 posts, read 446,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
nice try. NJ is 1st is giving to the US government and 50th in taking.
Yea, and states in the South are the other way around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or