U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 PM

56 posts, read 224,121 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of looking into them seriously. We looked at a couple of KHov's in Smithville in Atlantic County and one up here where we live in Hunterdon County in a pre existing community by DeLuca. We've never lived in a planned community before and are not used to ""rules" but the idea of no kids running around the neighborhood (ours are grown) and no upkeep to speak of seems appealing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,204 times
Check out Monroe Twp. in Middlesex County. It is becoming the mecca of 55 and over developments There really are some lovely homes there in those communities.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
Default 55+ Considerations

We have friends who moved to a 55+ community and after a year and the restrictive rules moved out. Suggest you look into the current rules and consider the community board that adds and changes the rules. In our friends case, the board was very "tight" and a bit into power.
Also consider the ages of those in the community. Some are very active and others consist of older and inactive people.
Other friends moved into one and love it Manahawkin area. Another couple who moved into one in Little Egg Harbor found the people in the community a bit uppity, "clicky" and not very welcoming.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,382,823 times
Unhappy All Clicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We have friends who moved to a 55+ community and after a year and the restrictive rules moved out. Suggest you look into the current rules and consider the community board that adds and changes the rules. In our friends case, the board was very "tight" and a bit into power.
Also consider the ages of those in the community. Some are very active and others consist of older and inactive people.
Other friends moved into one and love it Manahawkin area. Another couple who moved into one in Little Egg Harbor found the people in the community a bit uppity, "clicky" and not very welcoming.
Funny you should mention that term "clicky". Recently visited family in Toms River at their 55+ pool party. I'm a people watcher. Several grey haired women dashed around from circle to circle whispering when we came in with our kids. Maybe they didn't like the fact that I didn't want to poke a hole in my new bathing suit with their stuipd badge. I showed it to the gate guard & I was admitted. It was OPEN to everyone that day & there were other children there. It was weird. No one was friendly or smiled. Very very clicky- We all felt uncomfortable. All the chairs & tables were taken or "saved" I felt like Forrest Gump getting on the school bus- remember that scene "This seats taken"
I have a feeling it may be clicky like that at every 55+ place.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Ryan homes seems to be building a few active adult communities, houses look pretty nice. I see there is one in Hillsboro and one down by me in Pemberton. I just printed the Pemberton one for a neighbor that's thinking of moving.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM

38 posts, read 240,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly2 View Post
We are thinking of looking into them seriously. We looked at a couple of KHov's in Smithville in Atlantic County and one up here where we live in Hunterdon County in a pre existing community by DeLuca. We've never lived in a planned community before and are not used to ""rules" but the idea of no kids running around the neighborhood (ours are grown) and no upkeep to speak of seems appealing.
There is a VERY GOOD one in Cranbury - I absolutely love that town. It isn't gated, but the homes are very nice, it's very quiet, and there's a huge, very well maintained park across the street from it where you can walk around. My fiancee's mother lives in the development, and loves it there.

Drawback is that the houses probably are a bit pricey - Cranbury can tend to be a little higher-priced....but if you are looking for a nice, quaint, SAFE, small town, there aren't many better then Cranbury....

Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
All the chairs & tables were taken or "saved" I felt like Forrest Gump getting on the school bus- remember that scene "This seats taken"
I have a feeling it may be clicky like that at every 55+ place.
Remember when Paulie Walnuts' mom went to the Assisted Living facility and was shunned by "the girls" because she took her teeth out? The director said the place was "High School for the Geriatric Set". LOL (hopefully someone here watched The Sopranos)

My mom lived in a 55+ community in Columbus NJ and while she had a nice set of friends, she did find it hard to break in at first, and she was a very social person (she was always at the clubhouse, looking for card games, going on the organized trips, etc). Unfortunately you'd think it'd be easier the older you get, but it usually isn't so.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Also if you have grand children make sure you find out the "limits" on their visits.
This is one reason I could never live in a 55+ place....I mean suppose something happens and I need to take care of my grandchildren...was reading a horror story on one couple in FL who had to take in their grand child..ewww gave me the shivers

Old 07-11-2007, 08:12 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Also if you have grand children make sure you find out the "limits" on their visits.
This is one reason I could never live in a 55+ place....I mean suppose something happens and I need to take care of my grandchildren...was reading a horror story on one couple in FL who had to take in their grand child..ewww gave me the shivers
yes, this is a good point. I lived with my mom in her community for awhile and the restriction was the child had to be 19 or over.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 AM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
Perhaps one way to avoid cliques would be to move into new construction. At least they wouldn't have been established before you arrived.

We are building a single family home with Regal Homes in Marlboro, and I know the builder has at least two 55+ communties going up as well. You could go to Regal Homes for more info.

We currently live across the way from a community called Spinnaker Pointe in Parlin. I think there are a couple on the market. The community is 3 or 4 years old, and the residents seem to really like it.

Also, the reason why most 55+ communities don't allow children under 19 has more to do with requirements by the town or boro when the builders go to them for approval. These communities are easier for planning boards to approve, as they know the people living in them will not have children to add to the often over-crowded schools. I'm sure there are people on the 55+ boards who don't want kids living around them, but they often don't have any say on this issue.

Last edited by juliann1977; 07-11-2007 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Add info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or