Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM

13 posts, read 51,601 times

Advertisements

I need to move to NJ for one year for work. I'll be working in Somerville, but I'm really more of a big city person (I'm also single and 27) and am trying to avoid living in such a small town, even though I'll need to work there five days a week. Would it be nuts to commute there from somewhere like Jersey City? I was also thinking New Brunswick as a compromise (smaller city but shorter commute). I've barely even visited NJ before so I'm really out of my league here. Where would you recommend within commuting distance to Somerville for someone who is used to living in places like downtown DC and Boston? I know I won't get a perfect fit here, just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Last edited by mcsuper; 11-23-2010 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Look in Hoboken , Rahway , Weehawken , Jersey City > Heights , Historic Downtown and Journal SQ , New Brunswick , and Union City , you can commute using our great Transit system or drive. Its not that bad going to Somerville form either those cities , if your going form Rahway & New Brunswick use the car. For the others the Train is the best bet , if your company is outside the downtown ask for a shuttle to pick you up form the station. Most companies shuttle there employees to and form the stations.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM

97 posts, read 310,830 times
It's not crazy....you will at least be going in the opposite direction of traffic. You may want to look at Morristown too along with New Brunswick. I think if you want a "real" city feel though you are better off looking around Jersey City, Weehawken, Hoboken, etc like Nexis said. Plus you when you get tired of those cities, you can easily head over to NYC.

I'm actually moving next to Hoboken and work in Piscataway, so it would be similar to your commute. A co-worker also lives in Jersey City and commutes to Piscataway so people do it.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 35,999 times
Your commute shouldn't be too bad since you'll be going against the grain for rush hour. I've lived in New Brunswick (go RU!!) and you might like the downtown area, but it's very small compared to where you've lived before. The Morristown suggestion was also a good one. Ultimately, I think Hoboken would be your best bet.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 15,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
you can commute using our great Transit system
I am hoping that is sarcasm. NJ Transit sucks!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor10 View Post
I am hoping that is sarcasm. NJ Transit sucks!
How so , its expanding ,replacing its fleet......its used by 1 million ppl....it must be pretty good.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,869 times
Constant delays. Just Google NJ TRANSIT and see all the news articles about delays and those are only the ones that make the press.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor10 View Post
Constant delays. Just Google NJ TRANSIT and see all the news articles about delays and those are only the ones that make the press.
Those Delays are Amtrak's Fault and affect 2 out of the 13 lines. He would be using a line that almost rarely has delays....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 51,601 times
I know there is a train stop in Somerville on the Raritan line - does Jersey City have a stop?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsuper View Post
I know there is a train stop in Somerville on the Raritan line - does Jersey City have a stop?
You use the PATH to connect form Jersey City to Newark Penn , then you take the Raritan Valley line form Newark Penn to Somerville. There is limited train directly form Hoboken to Somerville in the Evening but i don't know when that is. Otherwise if you want to just do the Transit pass thing , you have to Transfer 3 times. Hoboken > Secaucus > Newark Penn.

The monthly pass for NJT and PATH are
Newark Penn - Somerville : 10.25$ one way and 291.00 monthly
PATH : One way 1.75$ and Monthly 50.00$

Its shorter to take the PATH and NJT , then is to take the 3 trains. Its shorter by 1 hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey