Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM

63 posts, read 294,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
My friend lives in Rahway and her neighborhood is very pretty. Lots of trees, grass, clean and well kept homes. I know Rahway has a side that doesn't look so good (I think that is Rahway City) but it also has a very nice side that is very pretty and quiet.
You are correct. MOST areas in Rahway are very nice. lots of grass and trees, very clean, huge back yards. I think there is one area that has/had issues and it was downtown (Rahway City) now that is being completely renovated and Luxury condos and townhouses are going up - trendy restaurants have moved in Cultural centers and lots of upscale shopping. There has been a great influx of NYorkers due to the easy commute into NYC. And for the record the prison is NOT in Union County and Not in Rahway. It is in Middlesex county and has been renamed to Eastern or Central state something or another. So Rahway was getting a really bad rap for many many years. The grammer schools are great the middle school is about the same as any other. The HS leaves something to be desired but that all depends on the participation of the parents. I have not heard of any gang activity in Rahway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM

63 posts, read 294,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Rahway consist of more than just the downtown area
It borders Avenal,Colonia,Clark and Linden
You want grass
Have you ever been to Milton lake,Rahway park,the Hospital section or the Inman hgts sections?

Cars
most of the cars you talk about are
not from Rahway but people from the neighboring towns that take the Rahway train
because it is cheaper than their town and they can always find parking.

Violence & crime
Rahway was rated below the avg for N.J in that area

Prison
Rahway has never had a prison.
the one you are talking about is in Woodbridge on Rahway ave

Please research before talking about something you know nothing about
THANK YOU! WELL SAID!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Default When I think of Rahway

Whenever I hear "Rahway" I immediately remember giving birth in Rahway hospital and the same night the drug addict nurse was rifling through my purse when she thought I was asleep. I looked at her and said What are you doing! Oh, Do you want your baby, It's time for a feeding, I'll go get her. She ran out of my room and never did bring me my baby. In fact I never saw her again. That's my Rahway experience, One I'll never forget. The only reason I would go back into Rahway would be to get a copy of my children's birth certificate. Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 AM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,599 times
Lots of great impressions of Rahway on this site - I work in the Rahway school system - they aren't rated very highly, but they are "blue-ribbon" schools which qualify them to work with Kean U's education interns - each class has the usual teachers plus a KU intern - very hard-working faculties. Elementary schools are very good, middle school is tough, high school can be tougher. There are always private schools, but the public school kids are the ones who will be living around your home. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,906 times
I recently saw a new townhome community in Rahway....and I have to say I was not impressed by the surroundings but the homes were very nice in terms of construction & workmanship... better than the top competitors. The agent kept stating that Rahway is expected to under-go major community development. Looking to move to Jersey as well but the prison part is a little scary.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramirez View Post
I recently saw a new townhome community in Rahway....and I have to say I was not impressed by the surroundings but the homes were very nice in terms of construction & workmanship... better than the top competitors. The agent kept stating that Rahway is expected to under-go major community development. Looking to move to Jersey as well but the prison part is a little scary.
There's a huge $100 million+ redevelopment planned for the area near city hall, which should spark alot of activity in Rahway.

Don't worry about the prison- if you don't drive past it, you'll never even know its there. I grew up a few miles from the prison in Avenel (where the prison is actually located- it was called "Rahway State Prison" wrongly), and there was never a problem- no escapees, no riots that impacted the area outside the prison, etc.

Bob

Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramirez View Post
Next time you are in Rahway take a drive around the milton lake area
The Inman Hgts Section and the hospital section, i think you will like what you see...And as Bob k says the prison should not even be a factor

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 23,926 times
it's called eastern state prison, and its located in Woodbridge township, before people critisize, they should really know what the hell they are talking about first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
It has one of the toughest state prisons in the country Rahway State Penitentiary.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Default Rahway

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/re...te&oref=slogin

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,421 times
i agree i absolutely love it here and cant think of anywhere else is better as i have traveled the state. Rahway is the friendliest town i have come across.
I have not heard anyone mention that the hotels on 1 and 9 are being demolished as well refurbishing downtown. BTW the steal cars in westfield, garwood, montclair as well as many ritzy areas. In actuality no where is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey