U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 43,154 times

Advertisements

As I posted before, living in EB and commuting by train to NYC generally is not a good idea for most locations in EB. The closest train stations are in New Brunswick (Jersey Avenue is not very convenient, downtown NB is better), then Edison (Metro Park station). Unless you live very close to New Brunswick and can drive into NB via Ryders Lane (to avoid Route 18), you probably do not want to be taking a train on a daily basis - too much time, too much traffic, too much money. Just about everyone in EB who commutes to NYC takes Suburban Transit bus.

Re South River (and Spotswood also): the homes cost less because the schools are nowhere near as good as EB. With 2 children approaching school age, IMHO I believe DarlaD should be keeping the schools at the top of her priority list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 43,154 times
Also, your friend who said you can get free parking and get on a train to NYC is wrong, no such thing around here. If there were, everyone would use it!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,445,044 times
Just moved from East Brunswick. I grew up there and had a blast. The area is amazing and when you talk about being near everything, this city is it! You are close to all major highways and NYC is only an hour away. When I was growing up my father drove to NYC for work all the time and I went with him many times. It take about a hour or so, 45 minutes if there is no traffic. The only traffic you really hit is a little on Route 18 during rush hour and some right before the Lincoln tunnel during rush hour.

As far as mass transit, as many have stated, you can take the train from New Brunswick or take the bus from the towers in East Brunswick near the Hilton. Either way, to get to NYC is very easy.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,347,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyHorn View Post

Re South River (and Spotswood also): the homes cost less because the schools are nowhere near as good as EB. With 2 children approaching school age, IMHO I believe DarlaD should be keeping the schools at the top of her priority list.
A lot of the quality of a school is what the student and the parents put into it. Just because EB tests well and has more electives to offer doesn't mean a student will automatically succeed. And just because Spotswood and South River have smaller schools doesn't mean a student will do poorly. I went to school in East Brunswick AND Spotswood, and given a choice I would send my daughter to Spotswood any day of the week and twice on Sunday before I sent her to East Brunswick. I'm not knocking EB-I just think people get caught up in the status of EB and don't consider other things. For instance-I graduated at the top of my class of 100 at Spotswood. My GPA would not have even been a blip on the screens of the EB guidance counselors' computers. I went on to graduate with high honors from Douglass College. Also-my graduating class had about 100 kids in it. The graduating class at EB the same year almost had more kids than my entire high school. I just want to point out that you are not dooming your child to failure if they do not go to East Brunswick.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,445,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
A lot of the quality of a school is what the student and the parents put into it. Just because EB tests well and has more electives to offer doesn't mean a student will automatically succeed. And just because Spotswood and South River have smaller schools doesn't mean a student will do poorly. I went to school in East Brunswick AND Spotswood, and given a choice I would send my daughter to Spotswood any day of the week and twice on Sunday before I sent her to East Brunswick. I'm not knocking EB-I just think people get caught up in the status of EB and don't consider other things. For instance-I graduated at the top of my class of 100 at Spotswood. My GPA would not have even been a blip on the screens of the EB guidance counselors' computers. I went on to graduate with high honors from Douglass College. Also-my graduating class had about 100 kids in it. The graduating class at EB the same year almost had more kids than my entire high school. I just want to point out that you are not dooming your child to failure if they do not go to East Brunswick.
I will agree with you that EB is competitive. When I graduated the Valedictorian had a 4.7 GPA and the graduating class was 600+.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 25,249 times
Parents make a big difference in the East Brunsiwck School system. The schools focus a lot on test scores to make the school record look good but puts a lot of stress on the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or