Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM

39 posts, read 371,671 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are in the process of buying a house and are expecting our home inspection report in a couple of days. We do not expect any major deal-breaking issue in the report, but quite a few minor repairs.

I wanted to get an idea of how to approach this. In NJ, how much does the seller generally agree to fixing? Can we ask them to take care of everything that is in the report? How about cleaning some things that look like they haven't been cleaned in years?

Any suggestions will be very helpful. We are very nervous...
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
A lot depends on the deal, and whether the seller feels that you've already gotten a low enough price for the house. If it's a house that they could sell to someone else fairly easily if you decide to walk because they refuse to do the minor repairs, they'll likely refuse. If the market in that area is a little soft, they may be willing to do some things. There's no "one size fits all" answer to your question.

As an example, we've sold our house, and are closing in three weeks. The inspection report came up with about a dozen nit-picky items (every report generally does- the inspector has to find something to justify his fee). Because we gave the buyers a pretty good deal on the house, our agent had forewarned them that we wouldn't be making any repairs unless something major was found, so the buyer didn't ask for any of the items to be corrected. His lawyer, however, took it upon himself to request that we correct two of the items. We rejected the request, stating that the house is being sold "as-is", and everything is fine with the buyer.

Regarding "cleaning things", I wouldn't expect that someone who hasn't cleaned his/her house "in years" will suddenly decide to become a neat-freak for you. The contract probably states that the home needs to be left "broom clean", but don't expect much more than that.

Bob

Old 07-06-2007, 03:51 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Anything safety related is usually fixed, other then that, most sellers have priced the house accordingly.

Same thing with cleaning, you can ask for a pro cleaner to come in but don't count on it. If they didn't clean the house to put it up for sale they probably won't clean for closing either. From what I understand, broom clean is the norm...

Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM

88 posts, read 424,111 times
Default home inspection

Check your contract, it will tell you what to ask for. Usually electric, plumbing, heating and air (not aged units as long as they are working), structural, leaking roof. You can ask for anything, but don't expect cosmetic repairs, this would be a plus.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM

39 posts, read 371,671 times
Do cracked tiles because of flexing/settling of the floor count as structural problem? Should we ask the seller to fix it? Has anybody had any such issues in inspection?

Last edited by NCtoNJ; 07-11-2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoNJ View Post
Do cracked tiles because of flexing/settling of the floor count as structural problem? Should we ask the seller to fix it? Has anybody had any such issues in inspection?
you can ask for whatever you want, lol. my sister in law sold a townhouse and the buyer wanted her to replace ALL the (working) appliances, because they were "outdated" (including the 6 yr old microwave and refrig). she told him to go pound salt.

i'm sure someone will correct me, but i'd guess as long as it's not a safety issue (i.e - you can trip over the cracks), it's NOT a structural problem.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoNJ View Post

I would think that the house was priced accordingly, knowing this was like that, so no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: