U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,868 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are looking to buy a house in NJ but we are unsure where to buy. we are both muslims and would like to be relatively close to the muslim community but also want to feel safe and secure. i want to be able to go out shopping for groceries, etc, during the daytime and evening and be able to travel on public transport without fearing for my safety all the while. can anyone give me some sound advice on some good areas to buy a house please? i hear that the central ave/palisade ave area in union city is nice and stable, and that the people who live in that are have lived there for many years. does anyone know that area or have a better suggestion? i urgently need help! we need to buy a place within a month or two. we have seen a condo in Long Island City, NYC which is a block away from the subway station and a house we have seen in the union city area mentioned above has a regular bus that takes you to manhatan within 15 minutes but buses are not as great as the subway. I have heard and read so many conflicting accounts of how jersey city is dangerous and it wouldn't be a good idea to go out especially on my own. we don't want to think that our home would be at risk of being burgled every time we left the house. PLEASE HELP!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 134,863 times
there's a large desi community in Jersey City. It's a city so you can expect it to be crowded and a mixed community. In my opinion, the best areas to live in JC are in the Heights. There are plenty of masjids within 5-10 mins.

A friend of mine lives in Union. It's beautiful but if you don't plan on driving where you shop, JC is your best option. I'll reply more tom..in a rush..

hope this was helpful

Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 21,868 times
Default thank you!

salaam 'alaikum

thank you so much for your reply. my husband and i are going spare trying to find a decent area to buy a house in NJ. i have read a lot of bad things about JC and Union and I am very unsettled about buying a house there. We are muslims and i would like to be relatively close to shops and transport because we won't have a car, which means we will be travelling by public transport or walking everywhere.

would you be so kind as to recomend some safe areas in JC and Union? safety is a must, and i'd really like to be fairly close to a muslims.

may Allah reward you.
ma salaama.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM

15 posts, read 53,454 times
yes, jersey city has its share of problems, but you will most likely not have any issues.
There is a large muslim community in JC and it is a nice city with nice parts and crappy parts as well.
You have very close proximity to NYC (just 1 train stop away) and will find much more than what you would look for.
As far as it being safe, all of North Jersey is a very diverse place, you will find muslims, hindus, jews, christians, black people, spanish people, white people, etc...

Good luck in your search, and welcome to NJ

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,564 times
I will be going to stevens institute in fall 10 and looking for a 1 bed apt in nj area. I heard there is a large desi community in nj area I want to live in a cheap, safe and pakistani/desi community where I can find desi stores and mosques. Also can some will help me get a job while I am in school is it easy to find work there!!!What is the average rent for a 1 bed apt in communities surrounding muslims.
Please help me with this matter I will be so grateful.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM

66 posts, read 154,458 times
I think Parsippany has a nice Muslim community. Nice town too.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 18,564 times
thanks for the reply I appreciate it can you please tell me is it easy to find apt in that area and how far is rutgers-newark from this area my wife will be attending rutgers in fall 10.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

4,246 posts, read 5,674,474 times
Moderator Cut

VERY Mixed race but tons of Pakistanis and Muslim Indians. Safe, Suburban. Mid priced for NJ but cheapo compared to Northern Bergen. I have a friend who lives there. He likes it.

Note commute is longer than JC. IT comes down to do you want urban or suburban.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-08-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM

174 posts, read 469,948 times
You can also try the oak tree road section of edison. Its mostly indian but it also caters to a few muslim run halal grocery stores and restaruants.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,137,451 times
Edison, Woodbridge, Parsipanny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey