Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 32,483 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't move to Newark if you paid me to live there. Pay me enough and I'll work there though. I agree with 6tttt, get out of there by 5pm and go far away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy NJ View Post
I wouldn't move to Newark if you paid me to live there. Pay me enough and I'll work there though. I agree with 6tttt, get out of there by 5pm and go far away!
Newark ain't for the faintest of hearts.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 68,514 times
Unhappy Well, the jobs are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy NJ View Post
well, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Prudential, Verizon, PSEG, Cablevision, many of the top law firms, New Jersey Transit, UMDNJ, Rutgers, NJIT, Seton Hall Law School, The Star Ledger, WBGO, Waste Management, and then there's Penn Station - where you can work for Amtrak, NJ Transit, or hop on the Path train to Jersey City and New York - - -the list goes on and on. Very very great companies in Newark to work for and make lots and lots of money. But it's just not a place to raise your children or feel safe in your front yard. Not yet anyway.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM

114 posts, read 207,570 times
No disrespect Nexus but most stats aren't really that reliable. I mean think about it they have stats pertaining to almost everything you could possibly think of and there not exactly accurate

Last edited by JerseyM'Fers; 07-27-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
No disrespect Nexus but most stats aren't really that reliable. I mean think about it they have stats pertaining to almost everything you could possibly think of and there not exactly accurate
Yeah I agree but then I ask: what's the alternative? We could say all stats are inaccurate but what else would we have to go off of? I could just as easily say NYC doesn't have 8 million+ people. It's like the US census, there's WAAAY more people living in the US but everyone doesn't participate in the census pool so surveyors must narrow it to as close as the real number as possible.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,918,290 times
What's the alternative?

Do you live in Indiana? When you come into contact with the residents they will tell you how things are. Better yet if you are really interested in this you could just drop by.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighbor-would you be mine.........could you be mine..........?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:12 AM

19 posts, read 83,572 times
Default Pls Advise- Umdnj

Hello,
I am from India and will be soon joining UMDNJ as a Graduate student. I have read so much negative about the crime rate in Newark that I really donot know whether I should join UMDNJ. Though I can still change to go to graduate school at Brooklyn,NY and New Haven,CT but the course at UMDNJ is the best. Pls advise me:
1. Will it be safe to stay near UMDNJ in a hired room?
2. I have relatives living in Hightstown, NJ and at Long Island, NY so I can also commute daily in the trains but the biggest problem is that I have my classes in the evening from 4 to 9 PM. So, will it be safe to walk the mile to the Penn Station from UMDNJ and then take NJ transit to either Long Island thru NYC or to New Brunswick or Princeton? Are the trains safe at night? How safe will everything be in winters?

Please reply soon , I have less time at hand.
Thank You

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,380 times
As for the Colleoni Building in Lincoln Park, I am also considering moving there, pending a job offer in NEwark. I have worked in the city as a consultant in the past and while it is a bit "rough" I do not feel there is quite as much danger of violent crime as some are potraying. Drugs are a problem, as are gangs and just general poverty. But I don't feel very threatened by violent crime, especially during the daytime and or if I'm out with a group. As a female I would think twice before walking in this area at night.

Lincoln Park is the most beautiful part of Newark, which interests me. Beautiful old building surround Lincoln Park, which is large and hosts events during the summer. Does it attract vagrants at night? Perhaps. I need to investigate this as well. I do know there's a half-way house right near the park, which adds an element of strange characters. Who presumable are in rehabilitation. All considerations.

The safest part of Newark is the "Ironbound" along Ferry Street near Penn Station. All the place where most commuters and students actually reside -- steps from the train to Penn Station and the PATH. Much safer due mainly to the larger number of people, families in the area, walking around even in the evening, etc.

Take it with a grain of salt -- I have a lot of faith in Corey Booker and the potential of Newark for revitalization. I've also lived in Philly where some of the nicest neighborhoods are targets for much more violent and property crime than I see taking place in Newark.

I also have a large vicious dog that I would not think of living without And choose to live with roommates for added security.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,380 times
And to add.. Newark *needs* more professionals residing there at night. This is why the streets are dangerous. With more eyes / bodies / feet on the street, the security and sense of community will grow.

the end.

yours in urban pioneering martyrdom

Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM

562 posts, read 2,609,784 times
look into Elizabeth.. is a better choice IMO.. still near everything with all amenities and affordable but with way less crime.. I live there and it's a hop to newark and 2 hops to NYC..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey