Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,542,574 times

Advertisements

The South is by far the most dangerous region of the United States, although admittedly that's in part because the Census groups DC and Maryland (Baltimore) with the South. NJ is, overall, one of the safer states, if not one of the safest.

The problem with NJ is that there are slums spread throughout the state, as opposed to most other states where the worst areas are confined within one large city. Jersey City, Newark, etc all suck. There are a bunch of "blue-collar" areas that aren't so great on the eyes (Rahway, Carteret, Linden, etc) but generally they're reasonably safe (I think?). Trenton was a total dump last time I checked.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef973 View Post
People definitely forgot about Plainfield. I went to private school over there and i knew it was bad then, but now they have a murder rate almost the same as Newark.
I live in Plainfield and its evident that the crime is all gang/drug crime. If you don't seek it out, it won't hurt you. Plainfield is home to several large and beautiful Victorian and Colonial Reproduction homes and has a well-accepted gay community. It also is not too far from New York...definitely a manageable commute. Plainfield may not among be NJ's best, but it certainly isn't among NJ's worst.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 23,546 times
I have gotten lost in the majority of New Jersey's hated cities, minus Camden.

Trenton, Paterson, Irvington, Jersey City, and my worst experience, Newark.

Before my girlfriend had her license I would drop her off at my dad's office so he could take her home (he works halfway between where I live and where she lives). One time, getting off the Parkway, I missed my exit off 78 and ended up on 21 in Newark. I eventually found myself in the lowest rent apartment complex I've ever seen, with gangbangers walking around the streets, red bandanas tied to thier legs, walking in the middle of street. I was absolutely terrified.

That's my worst Newark experience.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 AM

20,231 posts, read 19,790,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
I don't think there are that many people who hate the State of NJ; I get the feeling many people love living here. However, there are many people here who hate the inflated house prices, inflated property taxes and the inflated health and car insurance premiums.
To be honest with you, I'm amazed at how many NJ born and raised can't wait to get the heck out of this state. I can't blame them either.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 AM

215 posts, read 1,162,088 times
I wasn't born here, but I was raised here, and I can't wait to get out!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 PM

859 posts, read 3,315,048 times
It seems like all the obvious: Camden, Newark Etc. have already been mentioned time and again.

Some smaller places I personally can't stand:

Bridgeton & Carney's Point (both just seem very abandoned and scary. Stores will be closed on weekdays, lots of homes unkept).

Bellmawr (not to be confused with Belmar), this town is just a mess.

Dover (Morris Co.)

Willingboro

Guttenberg and West New York

Old 12-30-2006, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 17,625 times
Default Ridgewood home of the unfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
That is a stupid uninformed statement. No points for you bucky! Thats a typical Bergen County look down your nose at the rest of the state, statement.
I know ridgewood very well and I can live their if I want but,I would live in jersey city before Ridgewood,Ridgewood is home to the self centered,

Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 17,625 times
Default west new york

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
It seems like all the obvious: Camden, Newark Etc. have already been mentioned time and again.

Bridgeton & Carney's Point (both just seem very abandoned and scary. Stores will be closed on weekdays, lots of homes unkept).

Dover (Morris Co.)

Willingboro

Let me tell you something about west new york,I grow up there in the seventies,
First ,I am born and raised an american,
west new york was a learning place,I learned that all people are the same,
I learned how to be part of all races,
I learned to be kind to everyone we are all brothers and sisters,
we are all children of the world.....
West new york has gotten bad because of the lack of money

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2007 at 10:50 AM..

Old 12-30-2006, 05:30 PM

79 posts, read 285,304 times
Default kearny

kearny is pretty gross. camden, newark, patterson... there are so many bad parts but even more nice towns in new jersey. Funny how close scummy patterson is to beautiful and expensive towns in nj.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM

859 posts, read 3,315,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda with a thought View Post
[

QUOTE=LittleMissSunshine;237109]It seems like all the obvious: Camden, Newark Etc. have already been mentioned time and again.

Dover (Morris Co.)

Willingboro

Let me tell you something about west new york,I grow up there in the seventies,
First ,I am born and raised an american,
west new york was a learning place,I learned that all people are the same,
I learned how to be part of all races,
I learned to be kind to everyone we are all brothers and sisters,
we are all children of the world.....
West new york has gotten bad because of the lack of money[/quote]

Never meant to disrespect the heritage factor, I am sure it was nice in the
70s...Passaic was nice back in the day too--my grandfather had a beautiful factory there that is now abandoned.

MOST places in New Jersey were nice at one time, but like you said, lack of money has turned many in the opposite direction--it is sad, but still true that many areas that were once great have become unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey