Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondSoundClash View Post
I think the whole government in NJ is corrupt and these towns won't get better anytime soon. Some say the violence is stopping in Newark, but those same gangs go to neighboring towns to stir up trouble.
Who the hell said "the violence is stopping in Newark"? It never ends. Must be real estate bull**** as usual.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,343 times
hey delray patty what section of jersey city are you from?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,906 times
New Brunswick doesn't belong on a list of "worst" places for being drug/crime-ridden. Half of it is basically a college town, and the other half is becoming more yuppie every day.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef973 View Post
yah i agree i could never leave the culture in nj. so many things that i have grown up with considering normal, other states dont have. where else can you find the great food we have here?? i couldnt live without real italian food especially. fake pizza no thanks. and i didnt know this until last year...u know that other states dont have bakeries???? i grew up eating pastry every sunday morning haha. in other states, a "bakery" is some fake thing inside of walmart or something. i love new jersey town to town the whole atmosphere. like tony soprano said "anywhere else you go these days its all the same...starbucks and bed bath and whatever." its really true. they dont even have sidewalks in other places. forget about walking to the corner store!! they go a half hour to the nearest walmart where they buy everything. ill pass on that lifestyle. id rather pay the expensive taxes and have all the luxuries im used to, while being close to NYC and the shore. who else has that combination??
Your wrong about Fake Pizza in southern states. I moved to Nashville from Manalapan, NJ and I found the best Pizza place , 8 min from my home in Brentwood, Tn, Joey's House of Pizza. Of course the owners moved here from Brooklyn, NY and you can hear them fighting amonst themselves in Italian.
This pizza is wonderful. We do have bakeries here also, and a gourmet market and bakery called Fresh Market.We do have real italian food here. Nashville has people from every state living here.Many Major companies like Nissan relocate here because of the lower tax structure,
Manalapan, had no downtown, just stript malls. No Special Charm. Nashville, has neighborhoods and each offers a different lifestyle.
We don't have the shore which I never bothered going to in the summer because of the massive traffic but we have beautiful lakes, Percy Prist for 1. A lot of my neighbors have boats in their garages that they take to a free slip in the lake and boat for the day.
I have all the conviences here, Theater, a symphony orchestra, museums, many restaurants and LOW Taxes. Also you can buy a 4000sq foot house here for a quarter what you would pay in NJ. Taxes, $3500 a yr.
We have no state income tax. Electric, much less, we have the TVA which generates its own electric to the state.
My daughers friend came here from NJ and said it looked like Stepford because all the subdivisions have a brick entrance with pretty landscaping.
No one leaves their lawns overgrown here.
You sound like you have never left Jersey

Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
Agreed. That post almost doesn't seem real-like someone living in a bubble. I have to say though that I have never visited Nashville. Anywhere in the south would be my last choice of a place to live. I live on the west coast now and have lived in TX and NC and there is no way I would consider living there again. It really is to each his own. I can barely afford where I live now but it is worth it to me just to be here.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Your wrong about Fake Pizza in southern states. I moved to Nashville from Manalapan, NJ and I found the best Pizza place , 8 min from my home in Brentwood, Tn, Joey's House of Pizza. Of course the owners moved here from Brooklyn, NY and you can hear them fighting amonst themselves in Italian.
This pizza is wonderful. We do have bakeries here also, and a gourmet market and bakery called Fresh Market.We do have real italian food here. Nashville has people from every state living here.Many Major companies like Nissan relocate here because of the lower tax structure,
Manalapan, had no downtown, just stript malls. No Special Charm. Nashville, has neighborhoods and each offers a different lifestyle.
We don't have the shore which I never bothered going to in the summer because of the massive traffic but we have beautiful lakes, Percy Prist for 1. A lot of my neighbors have boats in their garages that they take to a free slip in the lake and boat for the day.
I have all the conviences here, Theater, a symphony orchestra, museums, many restaurants and LOW Taxes. Also you can buy a 4000sq foot house here for a quarter what you would pay in NJ. Taxes, $3500 a yr.
We have no state income tax. Electric, much less, we have the TVA which generates its own electric to the state.
My daughers friend came here from NJ and said it looked like Stepford because all the subdivisions have a brick entrance with pretty landscaping.
No one leaves their lawns overgrown here.
You sound like you have never left Jersey
just curious, do you get paid every time you tout TN? Is living in a Stepford place a good thing?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,318 times
I moved away many years ago. But I still dream of my old home in Little Ferry.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 38,205 times
talking about bakeries: the only REAL bakery I know of in NJ is B&M Bakery in Hackensack. It's out of this world-the best crumb cake and unbelievably good cakes. You've gotta love real whipped cream frosting! I'm originally from MA and we had true bakeries all over. It's not an NJ phenomenon by any stretch. The pizza comment is a toss up. I've had both horrible and fantastic "real" pizza in Marco Island,FL as well as Wilmington,NC. I've also had terrible pizza here in Jersey. MA pizza is bad-our local places were actually owned not by Italians but by Greeks! My husband was rightfully horrified. I didn't realize that pizza doesn't normally come with cornmeal on the bottom until I moved down here. Am I in love w/ NJ? No. I love my little town and the shore. And no, I don't love MA either. Both places are ridiculously expensive and tax the life out of you. I've also noticed that both NJers and MAians almost never leave their respective states-their towns even. All in all though, I'll pick NJ over MA anyday. Oh, and I'm a Yankees fan as well!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 35,056 times
Default Manalapan

Manalapan is not a good example its a characterless place for Brooklyn people who are too misinformed to know how to actually find a good suburb.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 28,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_Coyote View Post
how can we forget irvington! sure, it's next to newark and for all practical purposes it gets lumped in with it. but irvington is a separate city and it certainly creeps me out a lot more than newark!
I've been to Irvington and it does creep me out-there are areas (closer to Union) that are nice- but the rest terrible road service- veryhigh property taxes for the service they get- criminal indictments on the city politicos- not a recommended place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey