Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

yeah, nj is getting pretty bad.. those towns down in south jersey you guys are talking about don't even belong on a list of worst towns
it's
Newark
Irvington
East Orange
Orange
Elizabeth
Plainfield
Patterson
Passaic
Atlantic City
Camden
Jersey City
Trenton
New Brunswick

there are a couple others too but that's off the top of my head... but the problem is with newark, they are building up the downtown area and not helping the poverty situation but rather, pushing it further and further West into towns like Bloomfield, East Orange, Irvington, Orange, and now even as far as South Orange, West Orange, and Maplewood, Union etc. Newark officials were happy that they kept the murder rate in 2007 to "99" because it was under 100.. in my book that is still totally unacceptable. I have a feeling if you look at the crime rates for the surrounding cities u will probably see a jump in violent crimes in all the surrounding cities, but I haven't done my research.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz189 View Post
there are a couple others too but that's off the top of my head... but the problem is with newark, they are building up the downtown area and not helping the poverty situation but rather, pushing it further and further West into towns like Bloomfield, East Orange, Irvington, Orange, and now even as far as South Orange, West Orange, and Maplewood, Union etc. Newark officials were happy that they kept the murder rate in 2007 to "99" because it was under 100.. in my book that is still totally unacceptable. I have a feeling if you look at the crime rates for the surrounding cities u will probably see a jump in violent crimes in all the surrounding cities, but I haven't done my research.
West Orange HAS been getting pretty bad. Especially on the east side. The town is supposed to get a big infusion of cash from the state to revitalize the main st area. I am hoping that helps, but with all the corruption around here, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that money magically disappears.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
So we hear a lot about the good towns in NJ. What town in NJ do you dislike so much that you wouldn’t move there even if they gave you a house for free? We all know that Newark is deeply hated but tell me which other town you hate and why???
There are plenty of places in New Jersey that I wouldn't want to live. However, crime statistics never factor into my decision.

One of my basic criteria for choosing a place to live is this: "Would I ever go to this location if I didn't live there?" (or know someone who lived there, etc.) If not, then I don't want to live there--why do I want to live someplace that I don't care about being otherwise? Of course, sometimes you have to settle for a location that's close to somewhere you'd regularly visit, but that has to do with logistics, budget, etc.

So in New Jersey, there are a lot of places that are flat suburbs that are not aesthetically appealing to me in any way. I have an example in mind, but I can't remember exactly what town it was--someplace my wife and I looked at years ago, not too far from Tom's River, I think, with miles of suburban houses on a grid. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I need to be in or near either a large city that I want to visit often or mountains and/or wilderness, good hiking areas, etc. I do not tend to like suburbs in general. And a place has to appeal to me aesthetically (which doesn't mean it has to be what most folks consider "pretty"--industrial areas can appeal to me aesthetically, but suburbs with quarter acre or less lots (but some kind of lot) almost never appeal to me aesthetically). I like "country" areas as long as they're not completely flat and they're near other things I want to visit. For example, I like parts of Sussex County a lot.

I also wouldn't want to live in a gated community, I don't particuarly want a doorman, and I don't like yuppies that much, so that rules out some places in the state, too.

Last edited by DessertRat; 01-31-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM

173 posts, read 818,654 times
"West Orange HAS been getting pretty bad. Especially on the east side."

As a West Orange resident, I'm curious what this opinion is based on. What gives you this impression?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post

As a West Orange resident, I'm curious what this opinion is based on. What gives you this impression?
It's based on having grown up in the area and watching the town of West Orange change from what it WAS to what it IS. As I said, my statements are confined to one specific area, not the whole town. As someone who still lives in the area it is also to my benefit to see things turn around. I hope this revitalization plan works. Only time will tell.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post

The bloods gang members that were killed and are killing people are one example!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 15,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Camden (crime)
Newark (crime)
Patterson (ghetto)
Trenton (crime)
Willingboro (Burlington County) (crime)
Dover (Morris County) (ghetto)
Atlantic City (ghetto, crime, high HIV rate)
Bridgeton (Cumberland) (ghetto)
dovers not ghetto, in some placesdover is mad wight

Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth? The lovely city everyone who flies into Newark gets to smell...I mean see?

Remember when NJ was trying to come up with a new slogan? When I heard a runner up was "Love at first sight" I almost fell off my chair.

It's not Elizabeth you are smelling its the many factories that line the port. And actually most of the smell comes from the Newark side of the port.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz189 View Post
yeah, nj is getting pretty bad.. those towns down in south jersey you guys are talking about don't even belong on a list of worst towns
it's
Newark
Irvington
East Orange
Orange
Elizabeth
Plainfield
Patterson
Passaic
Atlantic City
Camden
Jersey City
Trenton
New Brunswick

You can't forget Asbury Park and Neptune

Old 02-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The bloods gang members that were killed and are killing people are one example!

I have never seen any gangs in West Orange. And I am in my early twenties and very connected to the younger demographic in this area. I think you are getting confused with Orange. The towns are right next to each other, and Orange has developed a gang problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey