U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 AM

52 posts, read 412,879 times

Advertisements

Does anyone lknow if Tracy's Nine Mile House is still in operation? They used to have the best thin-cut fried onion rings and steak. Also, is the Goffle Brook Inn still in business? I have been away from NJ many years and used to go to these places with my parents as a kid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Glen Rock and Little Ferry, NJ

Tracy's was in Little Ferry, NJ. Seaplanes used to land right near it and the pilots would eat at Tracy's. It was at the end of the road.

GBI (Goffle Brook Inn) was in Glen Rock. I think they served seafood, pizza, stuff like that, in the 60's and 70's. Does anyone know anything about these two places?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven and Bear View Post
Tracy's was in Little Ferry, NJ. Seaplanes used to land right near it and the pilots would eat at Tracy's. It was at the end of the road.

GBI (Goffle Brook Inn) was in Glen Rock. I think they served seafood, pizza, stuff like that, in the 60's and 70's. Does anyone know anything about these two places?
Tracey's Nine Mile House

found this link on the web it has a few q's about the goffle brook inn
Hawthorne High School Forum - The 5&10

Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Thank you BrianG

You made my day. Thanks for finding out Tracy's Nine Mile is still open. It sure looks a lot fancier than when I was a kid and went there with my family. Speaking of "family", a lot of "family" enjoyed eating there in the day.

And thanks especially for the link to that other site where they mention the GBI. I think most of the people on the site are a little older than me, but they are talking about places I knew well as a kid. I live as far away from NY now as one can get, and my parents both passed a few years ago. I guess I'm just feeling homesick and nostalgic. It was good to read others talking about familiar things.

Thanks again.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven and Bear View Post
You made my day. Thanks for finding out Tracy's Nine Mile is still open. It sure looks a lot fancier than when I was a kid and went there with my family. Speaking of "family", a lot of "family" enjoyed eating there in the day.

And thanks especially for the link to that other site where they mention the GBI. I think most of the people on the site are a little older than me, but they are talking about places I knew well as a kid. I live as far away from NY now as one can get, and my parents both passed a few years ago. I guess I'm just feeling homesick and nostalgic. It was good to read others talking about familiar things.

Thanks again.
You are welcome
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 16,661 times
I was in Tracy's recently and make a point to visit each time I'm back in NJ. It's been a family (and, as someone pointed out, a "family" as in La Famiglia!) favorite for years. My dad used to fly out of the seaplane base near there, this would be in the mid-1950s. In any case, we had a family gathering there a couple of months ago in his memory and the steak sandwhiches, onions, and mushrooms were as good as always.
I always go to the B&W Bakery on Main Street in Hackensack, Hiram's, The Fort Lee News Bar (actually a rather nice little coffee shop on the last block of Main before heading down into Edgewater), the Peking Duck in Closter and Demarest Farms.
My yearly visits have now become quarterly and I've begun comtemplating a move back. Come back for a visit, Raven and Bear!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM

474 posts, read 1,454,629 times
Tracey's - wow! The mention of this place sure brought back memories. From the late '50's to the late '70's, my father worked for Lowe Paper Company in Ridgefield. Tracey's was a regular lunch place for him and his co-workers. Once in a while he would take me there too.

In the late '70's, I worked in Little Ferry and would also go to Tracey's. Thanks for the memories.

Also, thanks for the link to the Hawthorne HS forum. While I grew up a few towns over (in Waldwick), I was nice to read some of the posts.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo27 View Post
I was in Tracy's recently and make a point to visit each time I'm back in NJ. It's been a family (and, as someone pointed out, a "family" as in La Famiglia!) favorite for years. My dad used to fly out of the seaplane base near there, this would be in the mid-1950s. In any case, we had a family gathering there a couple of months ago in his memory and the steak sandwhiches, onions, and mushrooms were as good as always.
I always go to the B&W Bakery on Main Street in Hackensack, Hiram's, The Fort Lee News Bar (actually a rather nice little coffee shop on the last block of Main before heading down into Edgewater), the Peking Duck in Closter and Demarest Farms.
My yearly visits have now become quarterly and I've begun comtemplating a move back. Come back for a visit, Raven and Bear!
Oh stop! Your post and the one from Nancy-NY-NJ-ME are making me soooo homesick I can't stand it! Those steak sandwiches with the fried onions and mushrooms were the best. Going there as a kid in the late 60's and 70's was a staple of my childhood. And I remember Demarest Farms. I left the N.E. in '88 but think about going home all the time. New Jersey-ites and New Yorkers are the most real, most genuine people I've encountered in living in seven different states in my lifetime. My dad bartended at GBI and hung out at Kinchley's in Ramsey. We also used to go to a restaurant in Ramapo up on the mountain; it overlooked what became the Ford Motor Plant on Route 17 where it meets up with the NYS Thruway. I looked up the Hermitage recently, too, and saw it has been maintained as a historic site. My mother was instrumental in the early days of taking it from abandoned ruin to the museum it is today. And anyone shop at the Mandee Shop in Ridgewood (I think it was Ridgewood), or The Rag Shop, which I think was in Garfield but I'm not sure. It was a big discount fabric place with bins of fabric my mom (and all the other moms) used to pick through to find material for Simplicity patterns. Kids today have NO idea.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,661 times
Default tracey's, ramsey

Ok, so you SHOULD go back. Actually as I write this I'm in Edgewater, looking out my hotel room window at the GWB. Yes I ate at Hiram's today! I spent the weekend in Mahwah - the view there was of the mountains you wrote about. I spent some time in Ramsey - Sunday brunch at the country club - and made another visit to Demarest Farm and to the one in Montvale ( I forget the name . . . it's Italian?)
The problem of course is that it's now INSANELY expensive to live here. I'm not sure I'll be able to come back unless I want to make some major compromises. My cousin lives in Glen Rock. His house is nice, but rather modest compared to mine (I live in Florida now) and his taxes are $12k . . .
Oh yeah, also made a stop at the Allendale Bar & Grill!
Take care!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,917 times
OMG, you people are all making me so homesick!!! Live in south Florida now and haven't been back to Jersey since around 1990. Hubby and I have to go to Boston in July, so we will take an extra couple of days and drive down to Jersey. I have been telling hubby about all the places we have to go - Tracey's 9 mile house, Calahans (although maybe its not around anymore), Segovia in Moonachie, those are my favorites. Had to post after reading the Tracey stuff - sure hope they still have the steak sandwiches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey