Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 AM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times

Advertisements

When the subject of liquor comes up surrounding the dry town of Collingswood, NJ it always comes back to the same response from a local. "Not gonna happen....the Knight family would take away Knight Park from the town!". Really?...Really??
A little background...short and sweet. The Knight family, as I've been told, is one of the patriarcal families of prohibition era Collingswood who bequeathed Knight Park on the town with a strict provision: that the town remain alcohol free. This park is on Collings ave in the center of town and home to much of the school district sports as well as the bar (oops!) "local softball" leagues, little leagues and rec sports in the town / area.
My question...has anyone actually considered approaching the modern-day Knight heirs and discussing that? This always makes me think of the movie, The Village where "those we do not speak of" were a fallacy to keep the people at bay from exploring their options. Sorry for the movie spolier.
Did we ever make a call to a Knight and just...well...ask?? Maybe mention that back in 1919 that it was a viable option but right now it's hurting the town's economy and a ratebale or two attached to a liquor license might not be such a bad thing?? I have to think if we didn't, that this goes beyond the Knight family and is more rooted in the borough hall. Cork (Westmont) is now the new spot to not only eat, but hang out, spend money on drinks and listen to a jazz quartet. Not bad for a sleepy Friday in a little SoJer town, right? I went to the Pour House over in Westmont...just blocks away on a residential part of Haddon Avenue and it was packed...with people including youth! You know..those people who will soon BUY a house and set up a place to live? Maybe start a family?
And don't give me parking, either! They use the main parking facility every Saturday to stage the Farmers' market...IN THE PARKING LOT! That takes up about 20% of the designated parking in town and it still gets crowded with people and vendors. ALL of which are finding other areas to park.
We are getting passed by.
Something should be in the works to make a change for the better. I read the mayor's last entry about movement at the Lumberyard but nothing is going on there as far as construction goes. Open houses for sales have been consistent but is anyone buying them? I'd be hard pressed to believe that someone would pay upwards of $275K for a 2 BR/2Bath condo unit with HOA fees when they can get a 3 BR house and yard for less just blocks away.
I just hope we aren't serious about building this transit village and fill it with...what? Condos?! Dry cleaners? Indoor weiner stands? Orange Julius? Wait...no, that's a national chain. Thankfully in this case, we don't look to those either. Please. Jokes aside, I respect what you do but our taxes and investment ride on you.
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 12-18-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey