Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 112,727 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! Merry Christmas and A Very Happy and Prosperous New Year. May 2011 start with a blast for all ofyou!

It has started for me.

I found a job in NJ and require some advise.

My work is at WoodCliff Lake, NJ. The closest areas are

Montvale Woodcliff Lake Westwood Hillsdale Township Of Washington Pearl River Saddle River Ho Ho Kus Emerson Orangeburg Harrington Park Blauvelt Nanuet Waldwick Tappan Allendale Norwood Northvale Oradell Spring Valley

I'd like to have some reviews on these places...Where to live..Which places to avoid. Please advise me...as this is my first stint with NJ. I have been in Boston all my life.

While the winter won't bother me..the safety in neighborhoods is my priority. i am looking for an apartment in one of the above places..but I don't know which ones to look and which ones to avoid.

Any help is great help since you guys are all busy enjoying your holidays...so when you get a chance, please let me know.

Bye guys and Enjoy your weekend!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Every one of the towns you mentioned, with the exception of perhaps Spring Valley, is a great town. Be prepared to pay big $$$ to rent/buy in any of those towns.

Also, keep in mind that Orangeburg, Blauvelt, Tappan, Pearl River, and Spring Valley are in New York State, just over the border. It's not really that different there from Northern NJ. Perhaps a bit more rural and rustic in some areas. (Still not very rural and rustic overall though.)

Spring Valley isn't nearly as bad as NJ or NYC's toughest 'hoods, but it does have quite a bit of sketchy area. It would however, be your best bet to find something moderately priced. The other towns will cost you big. (The NY burbs might be a bit more affordable, but not much.) Good luck!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I'll echo zhelder. Spring Valley is kind of seedy and has more crime than the other towns. Most of the towns on your list, particularly the NJ ones, are upper middle class. Beautiful and pricey. You didn't say if you are looking to buy or to rent, but if it's the latter, even those towns often have rentals in two-family houses, so do a little searching on realtor.com for rentals if that's the case. Towns like Westwood, Allendale, Emerson, Washington Township, were normal nice small towns until 25 years ago or so when there was a big McMansion-building frenzy and prices shot up, but there still exist smaller, older homes amongst them, some of them multi-family.

All in all, it's a very nice area.

And Happy New Year to you, too!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
You'll probably pay more taxes in NY state too.

I know Waldwick well and it's got a good small-town feel, with a downtown and low crime. It's about 15-20 mins from Woodcliff Lake. Not sure how many rentals are available or what they're going for today. It's more middle class than Allendale, Washington Twp and the other towns you mentioned.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You'll probably pay more taxes in NY state too.

I know Waldwick well and it's got a good small-town feel, with a downtown and low crime. It's about 15-20 mins from Woodcliff Lake. Not sure how many rentals are available or what they're going for today. It's more middle class than Allendale, Washington Twp and the other towns you mentioned.
Oh, I didn't see that Waldwick was on the list. Yes, that's a good small town. I am originally from next door in Midland Park, also a good small-town choice and a little lower-priced than some of the other towns mentioned.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM

MightyQueen, ZHelder, Ebwick: Thank you so much for the information. I will look into the areas that you have suggested.

I am a renter and not int he buyer side yet (won't be for a long time...LOL!...just got back a job...after lay off!). So...I am looking to rent a decent 1 bedroom so that I can cut down on my commute as well. But...Driving....20 miles one way is not a biggie I guess for everyone in NJ...

Anything else you can advise....will be helpful. I will stay away from Spring Valley as MightyQueen suggested.

Best, Rachel

Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM

any...words of wisdom on Hackensack....I don't mind the diversity...but safety is something a priority and not negotiable. I forgot to ask in my previous post....sorry about that.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel143 View Post
any...words of wisdom on Hackensack....I don't mind the diversity...but safety is something a priority and not negotiable. I forgot to ask in my previous post....sorry about that.
Hackensack is diverse with an older downtown. Decent amount of recent latin immigrants. It's the county seat so lots of government buildings. Higher crime than the towns you first mentioned and it would be a further drive to Woodcliff Lake from there. The area closer to Maywood would be more desirable.

In Waldwick the only shady area is right around the railroad tracks by the train station. Lots of recent immigrants

Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel143 View Post
With Hackensack you might have a concern in that it is the county seat and therefore includes the courthouse and the centers for various available services, so there is a significant homeless population.

Whether or not that translates directly into crime or safety issues, I am not sure.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Thanks again on Hackensack! Best, Rachel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey