U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM

576 posts, read 1,479,279 times

Advertisements

Ok, so the hubby and I debated over this and he seems to think it's best to park the car in the garage...

I think it's better to park it in the driveway close to the curb so you don't need to shovel the whole driveway to get the car out. Our driveway has not been fully cleared of snow yet 'cus hubby got tired after 4 hours of shoveling the sidewalk and part of the driveway. The car is still in the garage. I don't blame him for not finishing, but wonder if we should have left the car in the driveway.

Just curious, what did everyone else do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM

312 posts, read 679,742 times
In the garage. Not only is it better for your car but you dont have to spend time clearing your car of snow. I think its easier to shovel the pavement than to clear your car of ice and snow.

Also, I hope everyone remembers to clear snow from the roof. I still see tons of idiots driving around with a foot or more snow on their car roofs.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,363,645 times
Hubby likes to leave our biggest car on the driveway so there is less to shovel but only if we are not expecting a lot of snow (6 inches or less) but for a lot of snow we put everything in the garage since it becomes very cumbersome trying to get around the car and shovel when you are knee deep in snow.

If it's snowing all night like it did this weekend we try to get out there before bed and shovel what ever is there that way it will be a much lighter load in the morning. We don't have sidewalks though so the only thing we need to do is the driveway.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM

692 posts, read 1,688,126 times
Best place to park your car during a snowstorm?

Florida.

LOL. Just kidding. I always felt the garage -- as long as you can get out of it quickly. I guess it depends on specifics.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM

17,580 posts, read 20,837,966 times
Personally I think it is much easier to shovel the driveway than clean off the car.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM

12,057 posts, read 9,209,052 times
yeah. i utilized the garage for the one car. the other car was in the driveway, since i don't have the garage organized well enough to pull both cars in yet (if both can even fit - just moved here in march, and not sure if i have the depth to fit both)

Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM

912 posts, read 1,317,331 times
I like the garage best. Usually driveways are easy to clean (or easy to pay someone $50 to clean). Cars are risky to clean, especially in big storms when you don't know where the snow ends and the car begins. I gave my previous car a nice scratch once while removing a couple feet of snow off the hood.

Luckily I was able to touch it up myself, but if it was any worse I would either have had to live with it or pay some $$$ to fix it.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 2 days ago)

13,619 posts, read 17,220,993 times
My garage can only fit one car, so one has to be left in the driveway. This past storm I stacked both cars in the driveway and they pretty much covered the whole thing, so it made clearing the driveway easy. If given the choice, I think putting the cars in the garage is better for the cars and if you have a snow blower, it is way easier to clear the driveway if there isn't a car in it.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM

593 posts, read 689,537 times
Looks like the best spot is the garage if you can park deep enough in the garage then put the snow blower (If you have one) next to the door and ready to go. Like someone said here depending on specifics if that works then cool if not then you have to go another route.

Last edited by kjd72; 12-29-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM

1,850 posts, read 4,308,719 times
We have 4 cars for the three of us (Me, DW, MIL). Being that my side yard is a MESS and I just never have the time or energy to do something with it, I put the 2 trucks in the side yard and the 2 cars in the driveway. This way when the plows come they can plow right up to the curb. I get the cars that were in the driveway into the street, clear the little thats left in the driveway and use the 4x4 to get the trucks out of the side yard. Nice & clean on the street, nice and clean in the driveway.

Garage is currently for motorcycle/tools/workshop/storage so no room for cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey