Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,626,644 times

Advertisements

Philly
Although I'm in Camden County, Eagle pennents are everywhere, houses, businesses, cars, etc... as far north as say, Mt. Holly, Pemberton, New Egypt.

It's tough being a Giants fan down here

Shanny
I like the Phillies, I can root for the Flyers, I'm ok with the 76rs but NO WAY, NO HOW, will I EVER be an Eagles fan, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM

468 posts, read 577,648 times
When I worked in Trenton/Princeton radio,they were usually tied in with Philadelphia.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 PM

135 posts, read 173,779 times
Philadelphia.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,158,362 times
If a news story breaks in Trenton good luck finding a single NY reporter, not going to happen.The same big story would be covered by all 4 Philly TV stations and newspapers. That fact has higher credibility imo as opposed to a worker from Mercer that may commute to essex/ Monmouth or even NYC.

On a sidenote I was up in Ramapo last week and was surprised how far up the Philly radio stations carried. To the Northside of Morrisville.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:21 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,572,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
To me, and this is an out-of-staters view so you can bust my chops if you want, but Princeton (Mercer County) is Central Jersey where I've heard some say "hoagie" (South=Philly) and others say "sub" (North=NYC). Yet Princeton is an ivy league university town with lots of out-of-staters in it to begin with and not "Jersey" like NB/Rutgers. Trenton geographically I identify with Philly, yet I was watching this videoblog documentary that interviewed a guy who said he observes more folks taking the NJTransit (to NYC) than the SEPTA (to Philly) out of there.

It's an intriguing topic the whole North vs South question. Is there a Central Jersey? Maybe it's Princeton.

Cheers,
Sofie
Central Jersey starts at the Raritan Bridge on the Parkway.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
If a news story breaks in Trenton good luck finding a single NY reporter, not going to happen.The same big story would be covered by all 4 Philly TV stations and newspapers. That fact has higher credibility imo as opposed to a worker from Mercer that may commute to essex/ Monmouth or even NYC.

On a sidenote I was up in Ramapo last week and was surprised how far up the Philly radio stations carried. To the Northside of Morrisville.
Local NYC news stations cover Mercer County if the story is big enough. Don't forget, a lot of NJ watches the NYC news so it would benefit their viewers to find out what's going on elsewhere in this small state. I've seen big stories out of Cape May County on NYC news. Never the more rural and less dense counties of South Jersey though, like Salem or Gloucester. I never hear anything about them.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 AM

362 posts, read 494,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Local NYC news stations cover Mercer County if the story is big enough. Don't forget, a lot of NJ watches the NYC news so it would benefit their viewers to find out what's going on elsewhere in this small state. I've seen big stories out of Cape May County on NYC news. Never the more rural and less dense counties of South Jersey though, like Salem or Gloucester. I never hear anything about them.

It definitely depends on how big the story is. Like the explosion at the apartment complex in Ewing a year and a half ago...or the Hepatitis A case at a restaurant in Hamilton. NYC and Philly stations covered both of those stories.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,719,331 times
Trenton is, more than any other part of the state, Exhibit #1 for why Central Jersey is a "real thing."

Why it could be "North":
More people commute to NYC and North Jersey than Philly and South Jersey (although most of Mercer is county, by far, commutes within the county).
Trenton Thunder- AAA affiliate of the Yankees
NJ Transit rail lines to NYC
U.S. Census considers it part of the NYC CSA

Why it could be "South":
609 Area Code
Geographically closer to Philly than to NYC (34 mi vs. 66 mi)
SEPTA Lines to Philly
RiverLine to Camden
FCC considers it Philadelphia Media Market

Really, it's such an anomaly that I personally can't justify saying either North or South. It HAS to be Central. You get both market's TV stations, although Philly is definitely what dominates on the radio. Mercer County as a whole is like this, and I guess it's fitting in some way that the state capital falls in disputed territory (kind of like how Washington, D.C.'s location was decided as a compromise between North and South). But if we are nitpicking, I guess it leans more South/Philly than it does North/NYC.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 PM

255 posts, read 451,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Central Jersey starts at the Raritan Bridge on the Parkway.
Not this again. Not even close to reality. Woodbridge, Edison, Piscataway, Highland Park, Perth Amboy etc. are all north of the Driscoll Bridge and clearly considered Central Jersey if you know anything about the area.

All of Middlesex County is Central Jersey regardless of which side of the Raritan River it's on. It's that simple.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,407,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Lo View Post
are they eagles or giants fans out there?

Nah, it's cool, in Mercer County and the Trenton area in general is basically Giants,Bombers and Ranger fans, but we have our fair share of Eagle and Phillies fans, it makes it great, were able to discuss each teams weakness and strength and almost always the Yankees and the Giants come out on top, I'll say this much, your not going to find a more loyal fan base then Eagles, were gearing up for the season so were talking smack and joking around. The new one, who was the most popular Eagle of all time? Mark Walberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey