Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM

595 posts, read 1,550,343 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving out of my house and moving into an apartment with somebody. How important is having all utilities included in an apartment? There is one that is including everything, including basic cable tv. What is the variation in costs if an apartment only includes heat and water.

Also how early would I have to move into an apartment to have it ready? I need it ready by early April, so when is the best time to sign a lease?

forgot to add, i am looking for a one bedroom.

Last edited by Seduflow; 12-29-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM

24 posts, read 70,264 times
This depends on what area of new jersey you are looking...

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM

the "gold coast" - weehawken/north bergen etc area

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM

I am from bergen county. If you can find a one bedroom apartment with utilities included for no more than 1,200 in lets say paramus...i would jump on it.

Now if its 1200 a month with utilities in Newark, I'd say no.

I can't really comment on hudson county...

Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 PM

how much do utilities in an apartment typically run if you exclude heat and water?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Heat and hot water is usually standard with most places when you rent. Its the electric and cable that will run up your bill. If you find a place that includes electric and cable for one standard reasonable price...i would go for it.

Think about how much electricity you use...turning on lights, ac, using the oven,ect..thats what ads up. If you are renting a one bedroom in your name with someone else, I would try to find an apartment with everthing included. That way you two can run up the electric without worrying about what your bill is going to be that month. just my opinion.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Also how early would I have to move into an apartment to have it ready? I need it ready by early April, so when is the best time to sign a lease?

What exactly are you asking? If you move in it is ready.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM

Basically if I want to have the apartment all ready and set up with the paperwork and furniture etc, how much time is typically needed? I have never lived on my own. I am moving from my parents' house.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Are you talking about a furnished apartment? Seriously, I would start from scratch. Since this is your first time on your own, I would start with a bed and buy things as you can afford them.

You will never have everything at one time. Go on craigslist and see what furniture you can buy cheap until you can afford something you want.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,501,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Basically if I want to have the apartment all ready and set up with the paperwork and furniture etc, how much time is typically needed? I have never lived on my own. I am moving from my parents' house.
Your move in day will always generally be the 1st of the month. The apartment complex will be able to tell you what units they will have available at the time you want to move in. This can be a little tricky as the earlier you "shop" the less they will know. Generally you will get everything lined up about 30-60 days before you move in.

You will generally pay an application fee to the complex and place a small deposit on the unit to hold it. The deposit is refundable if you change your mind, the application fee is not. Once everything is confirmed, you will pay the security deposit and first months rent (sometimes the last as well). You then show up on the first day of your lease, do a walkthrough and get your keys. From there on out, the place is yours.

So, if you want to move in April, you should really start looking in earnest in February and have the place picked out by the beginning of March. Your lease will most likely start April 1st, which just happens to be a Friday in 2011. You won't be able to touch the place until then, so I would plan on taking off that day and having a three day weekend to move in.

The complex itself will give you guidance as to how to setup your utilities or what TV/internet/phone providers you have to choose from. If the complex includes everything, this won't be an issue. If they only include heat and hot water, you need to setup an account with the electric utility and any TV/internet/phone provider that service the complex. The electric one is easy, you just call them a week or so before and setup the account and tell them the day you are moving in. They confirm with the apartment complex and you'll get a bill in the mail. The TV/internet/phone, will generally require an installer to come out. I would recommend calling at least a couple weeks ahead of time to setup the appointment for installation as you will need to be there (and in possession of the apartment) when they come out.

If this is your first place, I would maybe default to one that includes everything as long as the price isn't outrageous. That way there are no surprises in your budget and you will minimize arguments with your roommate over someone leaving the lights on all the time, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey