U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 PM

16 posts, read 31,875 times
Default EZ Pass violation question

So this is mostly my own stupidity. I live in CT. I rarely use my EZ Pass and had changed banks so the checking account linked to the EZ Pass was no longer active. I totally forgot about the EZ Pass, never changed it to my new bank (completely my fault, I know). I had to travel to NY for work a few times one week back in the Spring and I used the device, apparently at some point it went over the amount $ left on it (because it couldn't replenish the balance as it was looking at my old checking account) and I owed EZ Pass/NJ DOT a whopping $2, which I had no knowledge of until today.

I just got a collections letter in the mail from an outside collections agency saying I had to pay $39 for fines, etc whatever. I called EZ Pass and they said I couldn't pay via credit card over the phone since it was an outside matter with the collections agency but I could mail the tag and a check to them to take care of the issue. No problem, I mailed that out this afternoon.

But my problem is that I need to drive through NJ tomorrow as I'm heading to Philly for New Year's. The collections letter said my car may be impounded if a NJ State Trooper scans my plates or whatever and sees that I owe the state $40. Clearly since I just mailed the check it will not get to the facility or be processed tomorrow. Is this true or just a scare tactic? Can I safely drive through NJ or are they really going to impound my car over $40?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 PM

24 posts, read 35,644 times
Honestly, I'm not sure it's a scare tactic. But if you don't speed down 95 and be mindful of the flow of traffic, I really doubt the state trooper is going to find your car out of the thousands traveling on 95 and run your tags. If they do, I really doubt thast the trooper is going to have your car impounded over $40.

If you explain the situation, I believe the cop will be more than understanding. It's not like your driving with a suspended license. Just bring any paperwork you do have including the check number that is paying the fine. Just in case.

Try to have a wonderful New Year in Philly and dont let this ruin your weekend. Just be responsible and safe...you should be fine

Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM

230 posts, read 322,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
So this is mostly my own stupidity. I live in CT. I rarely use my EZ Pass and had changed banks so the checking account linked to the EZ Pass was no longer active. I totally forgot about the EZ Pass, never changed it to my new bank (completely my fault, I know). I had to travel to NY for work a few times one week back in the Spring and I used the device, apparently at some point it went over the amount $ left on it (because it couldn't replenish the balance as it was looking at my old checking account) and I owed EZ Pass/NJ DOT a whopping $2, which I had no knowledge of until today.

I just got a collections letter in the mail from an outside collections agency saying I had to pay $39 for fines, etc whatever. I called EZ Pass and they said I couldn't pay via credit card over the phone since it was an outside matter with the collections agency but I could mail the tag and a check to them to take care of the issue. No problem, I mailed that out this afternoon.

But my problem is that I need to drive through NJ tomorrow as I'm heading to Philly for New Year's. The collections letter said my car may be impounded if a NJ State Trooper scans my plates or whatever and sees that I owe the state $40. Clearly since I just mailed the check it will not get to the facility or be processed tomorrow. Is this true or just a scare tactic? Can I safely drive through NJ or are they really going to impound my car over $40?
Frankly I think the letter's a scare tactic if anything else. $40 seems too menial an amount. If you do get pulled over and the trooper brings it up, just bring documentation to back yourself up, such as the check number. It's also depending on the kind of mood that the trooper is in that day, some of them can blow it off and others will make your life miserable.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Thank you for the responses. Guess I'll try my luck and keep my fingers crossed!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,277,373 times
Keep it at the speed limit and you'll be fine. You won't get pulled over if you aren't doing something to attract the attention of the Fuzzolini.

Now, if you get into an accident...

As far as having your car impounded and/or getting arrested... is this a bench warrant of any sort, or did this come from a private collections agency?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
I called EZ Pass and they said I couldn't pay via credit card over the phone since it was an outside matter with the collections agency but I could mail the tag and a check to them to take care of the issue. No problem, I mailed that out this afternoon.
Who did they say to mail the check to? Them or the collection agency?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Keep it at the speed limit and you'll be fine. You won't get pulled over if you aren't doing something to attract the attention of the Fuzzolini.

Now, if you get into an accident...

As far as having your car impounded and/or getting arrested... is this a bench warrant of any sort, or did this come from a private collections agency?
No warrant of any kind, just a private agency that sent the typical nasty "pay or else!" letter in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Who did they say to mail the check to? Them or the collection agency?
To EZ Pass' violation facility in Newark. It doesn't make much sense that they'll accept a check there but not CC over the phone.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,411,735 times
That letter is a straight up scare tactic. I would have also advised you that you don't need to pay the fine, just the actual toll amount. E-Z Pass has pretty much no teeth other than threats. In fact if you completely ignored them, the worst they could do is take you to court. You don't owe the state money, you owe E-Z Pass and the toll authority money. Very different than if you got a ticket from a cop and ignored that.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 AM

27,359 posts, read 20,689,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That letter is a straight up scare tactic. I would have also advised you that you don't need to pay the fine, just the actual toll amount. E-Z Pass has pretty much no teeth other than threats. In fact if you completely ignored them, the worst they could do is take you to court. You don't owe the state money, you owe E-Z Pass and the toll authority money. Very different than if you got a ticket from a cop and ignored that.
Agree with both statements in that sentence. They are happy if you just pay the toll. You could have sent an explanation about your checking account and it likely would have been fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 AM

11,773 posts, read 8,696,388 times
i think if you called NJ EZ Pass, they would have waived the fine and just had you pay the toll amount.

Tie your EZPass replenishment to a credit card to avoid that in the future. that was an expensive toll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey