Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times

Advertisements

I started this personal project a few weeks ago in an effort to get out and try more of the underrated restaurants in the state, outside of my immediate daily travel zone, so it provides something new.

Since starting a few weeks ago, I've tried Buffalo's Chicken Shack in Wood-Ridge, Black Forest Inn in Stanhope, Royal Warsaw in Elmwood Park, Barnacle Bill's in Rumson, etc.

If has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. I generally enjoy European restaurants, off the beat and path places, and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I started this personal project a few weeks ago in an effort to get out and try more of the underrated restaurants in the state, outside of my immediate daily travel zone, so it provides something new.

Since starting a few weeks ago, I've tried Buffalo's Chicken Shack in Wood-Ridge, Black Forest Inn in Stanhope, Royal Warsaw in Elmwood Park, Barnacle Bill's in Rumson, etc.

If has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. I generally enjoy European restaurants, off the beat and path places, and the like.
Although not off the beaten path Helmers in Hoboken is something you may be interested in. It is an excellent German restaurant.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
make sure to stop by the international house of pancakes. nice little place.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Rods in Sea Girt.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:28 AM

96 posts, read 350,445 times
Cafe Matisse in Rutherford is phenomenal, but probably not underrated.
Il Villagio - Carlstadt - Great Italian
Angelo's - Lyndhurst - Best Manicotti
Vic's - Bradley Beach - Authentic Family Style Italian
PJ Finnegan's - Westwood - Fine Pub Fare in an authentic setting

Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

You should start a blog and share all your experiences! I am always looking for non-chain, good, local restaurants!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,000 times
Great place in Belmar Called Ragin Cajun (New Orleans style) Also a BYOB.. Great spot in the warmer months you can sit outside.

1102 River Road | Belmar, New Jersey | 732.280.6828

Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
RGS, what did you think of Buffalo's Chicken Shack? I posted a review of this place some months back. I think this is probably the best casual food place to open in Bergen County this year. Miles makes the best buffalo wings in the area, hands down, not to mention tons of other great stuff. His prices are very fair and his wings are huge.

Nosher Rye Deli in Allendale is another excellent new place. They're a kosher style deli (not truly kosher) turning out some excellent sandwiches, soups, and other Jewish specialties. Prices on most items are reasonable and the place/staff has a real cool NYC/Jewish vibe.

I tried Sushi X in Ridgewood a few months ago, and I liked them too. They offer both a traditional menu and an all you can eat option (not a buffet, you order from sheets with various items and they bring the items to you).

I also finally got to Rose's Place in Fair Lawn a couple of weeks ago. Excellent food. and moderate prices on most items. The place is tiny and a bit hard to find though. (It's on Rt. 4 West, but you have to enter the lot by the building next door. ) Chicken Kebab in Glen Rock is also excellent. Miles is the Bergen County buffalo wing champ, but Naim at CK is the Bergen County gyro champ!

And who would have thought Elmwood Park would become a foodie town? Bhoj on Market Street has great Indian food. I've heard great things about Taverna Mykonos, and hope to get there soon. Ditto for Royal Warsaw

And if you like steak, Chrisitian's in Garfield is awesome. Better steaks than places like Steve's Sizzling Steaks at about half the price. It's a bit unusual in that the place is cash only and you have to pick up your meals at the counter when you're called. Some people complain that Cosmo the Owner can be surly at times, but I've found him to be friendly.

So, those are my picks! Get to 'em!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J1968 View Post
Cafe Matisse in Rutherford is phenomenal, but probably not underrated.
Il Villagio - Carlstadt - Great Italian
Angelo's - Lyndhurst - Best Manicotti
Vic's - Bradley Beach - Authentic Family Style Italian
PJ Finnegan's - Westwood - Fine Pub Fare in an authentic setting
I'll second Vic's also Pete and Elda's in Neptune for fantastic Pizza

Pete & Elda's - Homepage

Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Try Espo's in Raritan for Italian. Very small place, but the food is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey