Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Alpine vs Greenwich
Alpine, NJ 29 50.88%
Greenwich, CT 28 49.12%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,600 times

Advertisements

I know they are two of the richest towns in the New York area and in the United States, but which do you prefer on terms of location, home styles, people and attitudes, etc..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM

96 posts, read 350,460 times
I don't particulary care of either. However, Greenwich has some areas that are not very nice at

Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Greenwich.
I prefer the location of Alpine, but Greenwich is bigger and an all around better town (more of a variety). Alpine has mansions and nothing else.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Alpine is new money, Greenwich is old money.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
BPerone is right. Alpine not a real town. Greenwich has more to offer. Same with Darien and New Canaan, Ct

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,497 times
They're very different. For one, Greenwich is not universally wealthy. It's also a real town all to itself with a real downtown, etc. More comparable to Alpine would be New Canaan or Darien, as stated above, which are, like Alpine, universally wealthy and lacking a downtown core.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 14,393 times
Default Alpine vs Greenwich, CT

For starters, Alpine is new money, which means a lot of people with absolutely no class, just cash. Alpine has no town, nothing is really around, it is a lot smaller than Greenwich and a lot of the houses are not that big and the Mansions are not Estates, like they are in Greenwich. Alpine has no water front, no downtown, nothing. Except for that huge old radio tower which is an eyesore. Greenwich is most likely the wealthiest town in the USA and I have been in most of the US from NY to CA. The Estates and Mansions in Greenwich are just beautiful, if you can see them, most of them have acreage and for the most part, if you want to " belong " in Greenwich, you better have wealth coming from your family. People with new money are not really accepted in Greenwich, mostly because they lack class and like to show off whatever money they have made, whereas, being super rich is just normal in Greenwich, no need to try to impress anyone. If you look at the people living in Alpine, you will see a very diverse group of individuals, coming from everywhere.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM

169 posts, read 293,945 times
First off it is true that Greenwich is more an old money town than Alpine however, in no way does that mean it is nicer. First off architecturally speaking Alpine, NJ is more diverse: French Chateaux, English Tudors, Italian(MY FAV!) and Spanish Villas, American Colonials and Contempts as well as an outright fusion of European architectural styles all abound. Take your pick, if you have the money in Alpine you will find a house that wows you. Greenwich on the other hand, unless you like American architecture i.e. 3 square boxes with the largest in the center then prepare yourself for a yawn fest. I do not not care what anybody has to say in Greenwich you have 2 architectural styles of homes: american center hall colonials (which range from 5-50 thousand square feet) and your occasional english style stone manor house. Although many may find this type of architecture pleasing to me it is a boring as white bread! Although, at least in Greenwich you get to choose whether you want your exterior in all brick or wood siding (wood siding geeze kill me now what sane person shells out millions of dollars to live in a house with wood siding at least in Jersey no house over 800 grand is wood sided).
In terms of things to do, previous comments about Greenwich are correct as it has a large downtown and shopping area whereas Alpine is 99% residential. Alpine however is an enclave of Manhattan (just a 10 min drive to the bridge) and a 10 minute drive to routes 4 and 17 (where you will find the absolute highest concentration of stores on planet earth!) Also, if you want a charming downtown rather then a shopping mall Englewood, NJ (right next door to Alpine) will certainly please your every desire. In terms of natural beauty ok Greenwich does have beachfront property on the Long Island Sound....but....has any of you seen the Long Island Sound????!!!! YUCK!!!!!! Alpine is built on 200 ft gorgeous verdant granite cliffs overlooking the Hudson River from which lookout point will truly take your breath away. Furthermore, If any of you is into yachting you know that a trip up the Hudson Valley (due north of Alpine) is far more scenic and beautiful then any trip along the Long Island Sound. Lastly, in terms of people it is true that Alpine is newer money however they are not as "show-offy" as everyone says. Alpine is not home to your run of the mill millionaire. Alpine residents are bankers, moguls, pioneers, and captains of industry in their own right. They have made their fortunes through hard work and garish ostentation is the least of their concerns. Also about fitting in, in Jersey the belief is the richer you are the more property you own so that you may have the privacy you desire. Plus seriously in Jersey the attitude is I am who I am and if you don't like me I couldn't give a flying f**K! Very true indeed, after all the entire US believes that Jersey is somehow the armpit of America even though we are home to the absolute highest concentration of millionaires in the entire nation and besides Alpine we have at least another 15 towns that will take your breath away. You want to see estates? Take a drive through Somerset County and hop back in time to the Gilded Age of America where multi million dollar gargantuan estates and equestrian farms on massive acreage proliferate. At the turn of the century (1900) a veritable list of the "whose who" of their day built homes in the Somerset Hills of NJ. All of these then gentry commissioned master architects from Europe to build country homes to rival those in England and more importantly those of their neighbors. The result you will have to see it to believe it. Greenwich CT vs Somerset Hills NJ (Bernardsville, Bedminster, Far Hills, and Mendham) now that'd be a real duel of the Titans.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
First off it is true that Greenwich is more an old money town than Alpine however, in no way does that mean it is nicer. First off architecturally speaking Alpine, NJ is more diverse: French Chateaux, English Tudors, Italian(MY FAV!) and Spanish Villas, American Colonials and Contempts as well as an outright fusion of European architectural styles all abound. Take your pick, if you have the money in Alpine you will find a house that wows you. Greenwich on the other hand, unless you like American architecture i.e. 3 square boxes with the largest in the center then prepare yourself for a yawn fest. I do not not care what anybody has to say in Greenwich you have 2 architectural styles of homes: american center hall colonials (which range from 5-50 thousand square feet) and your occasional english style stone manor house. Although many may find this type of architecture pleasing to me it is a boring as white bread! Although, at least in Greenwich you get to choose whether you want your exterior in all brick or wood siding (wood siding geeze kill me now what sane person shells out millions of dollars to live in a house with wood siding at least in Jersey no house over 800 grand is wood sided).
In terms of things to do, previous comments about Greenwich are correct as it has a large downtown and shopping area whereas Alpine is 99% residential. Alpine however is an enclave of Manhattan (just a 10 min drive to the bridge) and a 10 minute drive to routes 4 and 17 (where you will find the absolute highest concentration of stores on planet earth!) Also, if you want a charming downtown rather then a shopping mall Englewood, NJ (right next door to Alpine) will certainly please your every desire. In terms of natural beauty ok Greenwich does have beachfront property on the Long Island Sound....but....has any of you seen the Long Island Sound????!!!! YUCK!!!!!! Alpine is built on 200 ft gorgeous verdant granite cliffs overlooking the Hudson River from which lookout point will truly take your breath away. Furthermore, If any of you is into yachting you know that a trip up the Hudson Valley (due north of Alpine) is far more scenic and beautiful then any trip along the Long Island Sound. Lastly, in terms of people it is true that Alpine is newer money however they are not as "show-offy" as everyone says. Alpine is not home to your run of the mill millionaire. Alpine residents are bankers, moguls, pioneers, and captains of industry in their own right. They have made their fortunes through hard work and garish ostentation is the least of their concerns. Also about fitting in, in Jersey the belief is the richer you are the more property you own so that you may have the privacy you desire. Plus seriously in Jersey the attitude is I am who I am and if you don't like me I couldn't give a flying f**K! Very true indeed, after all the entire US believes that Jersey is somehow the armpit of America even though we are home to the absolute highest concentration of millionaires in the entire nation and besides Alpine we have at least another 15 towns that will take your breath away. You want to see estates? Take a drive through Somerset County and hop back in time to the Gilded Age of America where multi million dollar gargantuan estates and equestrian farms on massive acreage proliferate. At the turn of the century (1900) a veritable list of the "whose who" of their day built homes in the Somerset Hills of NJ. All of these then gentry commissioned master architects from Europe to build country homes to rival those in England and more importantly those of their neighbors. The result you will have to see it to believe it. Greenwich CT vs Somerset Hills NJ (Bernardsville, Bedminster, Far Hills, and Mendham) now that'd be a real duel of the Titans.
Paragraphs! My eyes need paragraphs! *LOL*

Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
first off it is true that greenwich is more an old money town than alpine however, in no way does that mean it is nicer. First off architecturally speaking alpine, nj is more diverse: French chateaux, english tudors, italian(my fav!) and spanish villas, american colonials and contempts as well as an outright fusion of european architectural styles all abound. Take your pick, if you have the money in alpine you will find a house that wows you. Greenwich on the other hand, unless you like american architecture i.e. 3 square boxes with the largest in the center then prepare yourself for a yawn fest. I do not not care what anybody has to say in greenwich you have 2 architectural styles of homes: American center hall colonials (which range from 5-50 thousand square feet) and your occasional english style stone manor house. Although many may find this type of architecture pleasing to me it is a boring as white bread! Although, at least in greenwich you get to choose whether you want your exterior in all brick or wood siding (wood siding geeze kill me now what sane person shells out millions of dollars to live in a house with wood siding at least in jersey no house over 800 grand is wood sided).
In terms of things to do, previous comments about greenwich are correct as it has a large downtown and shopping area whereas alpine is 99% residential. Alpine however is an enclave of manhattan (just a 10 min drive to the bridge) and a 10 minute drive to routes 4 and 17 (where you will find the absolute highest concentration of stores on planet earth!) also, if you want a charming downtown rather then a shopping mall englewood, nj (right next door to alpine) will certainly please your every desire. In terms of natural beauty ok greenwich does have beachfront property on the long island sound....but....has any of you seen the long island sound????!!!! Yuck!!!!!! Alpine is built on 200 ft gorgeous verdant granite cliffs overlooking the hudson river from which lookout point will truly take your breath away. Furthermore, if any of you is into yachting you know that a trip up the hudson valley (due north of alpine) is far more scenic and beautiful then any trip along the long island sound. Lastly, in terms of people it is true that alpine is newer money however they are not as "show-offy" as everyone says. Alpine is not home to your run of the mill millionaire. Alpine residents are bankers, moguls, pioneers, and captains of industry in their own right. They have made their fortunes through hard work and garish ostentation is the least of their concerns. Also about fitting in, in jersey the belief is the richer you are the more property you own so that you may have the privacy you desire. Plus seriously in jersey the attitude is i am who i am and if you don't like me i couldn't give a flying f**k! Very true indeed, after all the entire us believes that jersey is somehow the armpit of america even though we are home to the absolute highest concentration of millionaires in the entire nation and besides alpine we have at least another 15 towns that will take your breath away. You want to see estates? Take a drive through somerset county and hop back in time to the gilded age of america where multi million dollar gargantuan estates and equestrian farms on massive acreage proliferate. At the turn of the century (1900) a veritable list of the "whose who" of their day built homes in the somerset hills of nj. All of these then gentry commissioned master architects from europe to build country homes to rival those in england and more importantly those of their neighbors. The result you will have to see it to believe it. Greenwich ct vs somerset hills nj (bernardsville, bedminster, far hills, and mendham) now that'd be a real duel of the titans.
tldr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey