Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 17,236 times

Advertisements

Hi

I and a friend ( both 27 year old guys , straight)are moving to new york . we would be working at WTC

We are looking at 2 BR apartments with basic amenities like refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher , laundry,heating etc.

we would prefer the location close to the path station(5-10 min walk)

rent we can shell out : $1400 to 1800 max

we have got to know that there are apartments fitting the above criterion at Journal square

could you please let us know about how the area is in terms of security , cleanliness etc.

are u aware of any problems in this area

would it be a wise move to stay there ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 39,577 times
Did you try to searching around the newport area of JC? The closer you are to the Journal Square the safer I would consider it.

Just think that the White Castles walking distance to the station serves your food like it was a bank but with thicker bullet glass.

Just wondering where are you moving from?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

349 posts, read 778,920 times
If you can afford between $1400 and $1800 you would be better off looking downtown. The area considered "downtown" is basically the areas east of 78 and south of the Holland Tunnel if you were looking at a map. The closer you are to the water the nicer it is.

Journal Square is not the worst area of town but its not the greatest either. In my opinion the area around JSQ is not a very visually appealing area. That doesn't mean it is extremely dangerous though.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM

87,960 posts, read 83,789,860 times
There are plans to revitalize the JSQ area, but they aren't nearly there yet.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM

4,282 posts, read 10,718,386 times
Journal Square is not an unsafe place for a single adult man to live.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,357,874 times
I used to walk the mile from Journal Square to the Heights (about 15 minutes) everyday to work. I even walked it in earlier morning hours drunk. I was OK. However, I would never recommend this to a single woman.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM

7,049 posts, read 19,203,309 times
I agree with the others. It's not unsafe, but it's kind of grimey and ugly in appearance. It's an older area that just hasn't been well-maintained.

Downtown Jersey City is doable on your budget, but you'd be getting a very bare bones apartment for that price (you'd probably have to give up some of the comforts such as in-unit laundry and central air). Downtown JC has more to offer in terms of nightlife/social scene, and has more appealing neighborhoods, IMO.

Either way, be careful when browsing ads on craigslist and other sources. Many ads claim that a place is downtown, when in reality it's in Bergen-Lafayette, and many ads claim that a place is in Journal Square, when in reality it's in Greenville. B-L and Greenville are not places I'd recommend living at all.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,182,153 times
The area north of the JSQ path is actually good, it's safe and has a little indian town next to it, a lot of young professionals live there. Look at rentals at st johns condo (10 huron, 201/225 st pauls). It fits your budget and building is ok.

There is also a rental building directly across the jsq path.

I would not go more than 3 blocks south of jsq path.

Also as other suggested, look around the downtown jersey city area in zipcode 07302 and 07310.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 15,175 times
Hi for a budget like 1400-1500 you will get good apartments behind the Newport Mall , its nice and very safe . You will apartments in Grove Street for 1200 , very nice apartments just near the Path station . If you are ready to shell out money close to 1500 and if you are sharing with others then Newport or Grove will be the best . Journal square as said by others is safe only near the station . The Indian street area is very safe but again i dont see any non asian living there. so its only a good option for indian communities . Any stretch far from that block is unsafe even if u go to church its like 10-15 people in a sunday mass . And you will get a lot of friends in Newport due to the apartments and the mall . Girls are pretty in Newport , JSQ is all Old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: