Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM

220 posts, read 701,646 times

Advertisements

Am I missing something? There seem to be a lot of these cases in BC..

Here are some cases in Tenafly alone..

Sold for $10,000
82 Gordon Ave, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

Sold for $50,000
4 Merritt Ct, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

Sold for $85,000
98 George St, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

..the land alone is worth more than price sold.. figured some are family transactions but can they all in BC be that? many of the properties don't show up in foreclosed auctions so can't be just that..

do the sales price take into account any liens to be paid off the buyer might have had to deal with??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Probably either a refi or a second mortgage recorded.

There are similar ones in all the "high-priced" towns like Bedminster, Montgomery, and Princeton. One of the one's in Princeton I know is way more for what it was supposedly sold for and the owners from the 1980's still own the place and haven't moved anywhere.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM

220 posts, read 701,646 times
thanks, I don't think Refinance would list it as a "sold" in public records..

I refi'ed my condo and "sold price" is still original price I paid.. not sure if 2nd loans would that make it to Public Record, since deed doesn't exchange hands?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Ah, interesting. Those may not be refis then; they may be home equity loans. Perhaps one of the real estate agents on here could shed more light on this.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
thanks, I don't think Refinance would list it as a "sold" in public records..

I refi'ed my condo and "sold price" is still original price I paid.. not sure if 2nd loans would that make it to Public Record, since deed doesn't exchange hands?
It depends on how the title company writes the deed. Sometimes when people refi they will take one spouse off the mortgage so that they can purchase a second home and qualify for a mortgage (and tax incentives). Could also be a buyout b/c of a divorce or one sibling buying out the other in an estate.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
Am I missing something? There seem to be a lot of these cases in BC..

Here are some cases in Tenafly alone..

Sold for $10,000
82 Gordon Ave, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

Sold for $50,000
4 Merritt Ct, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

Sold for $85,000
98 George St, Tenafly, NJ 07670 - Zillow

..the land alone is worth more than price sold.. figured some are family transactions but can they all in BC be that? many of the properties don't show up in foreclosed auctions so can't be just that..

do the sales price take into account any liens to be paid off the buyer might have had to deal with??

98 George was purchased for $375k in April, was knocked down and a new house built. Currently listed for $1,075,000.

4 Merritt in Tenafly was a family sale, father to son.

82 Gordon, the house was transferred into the wife's name.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I know Zillow's "Zestimates" pretty much count for nothing, but I wonder if these transactions influence their estimates. There are two identical homes in my development, one had a transaction/transfer with the sale price listed as $1 (most likely a divorce), the other home has only had normal activity. Both houses sold within the past year (within a month of each other) and for a price that was within $2k of each other. Zillow lists the home with the $1 transaction as being worth $8k less than the other home, despite them being identical in every measurable way and the recently solds being nearly identical as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
Zillow also uses the tax assessment in their 'Zestimates'. The thing thats tough with New Jersey, is you have a wide array of home styles, square footages, year builts, and condition in a given neighborhood. The Zestimate works well if all the homes in an area are cookie cutter.

As an appraiser, we try never to use distressed sales, family sales, short sales, foreclosures, estate sales, and sometimes even private sales as comparables.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
My areas probably about as cookie cutter as NJ gets as the entire town is one development with several sub projects within it. Even then there is some variety between the homes in terms of overall square footage, lot size, etc. I was just curious as everything about these two homes with the exception of that single transaction is identical. Same square footage, same lot size, same bedroom/baths, same tax assessment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey