Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd love to know how people would like the aftermath of no DoH or DoA or FDA...people take safe food on their plate for granted. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you're truly underestimating their value.
Not to mention that doing all that really doesn't save very much. It's all going to come down to cutting entitlements and military spending while raising taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i forget, does the CBO cost estimate for health reform include the cost of covering illegals?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd love to know how people would like the aftermath of no DoH or DoA or FDA...people take safe food on their plate for granted. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you're truly underestimating their value.
do you know what these federal agencies do to ensure this? i believe all these departments are duplicated at the state level. i believe their value is overestimated and what they accomplish can be done much more efficiently.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not to mention that doing all that really doesn't save very much. It's all going to come down to cutting entitlements and military spending while raising taxes.
it actually saves a lot but when you compare each thing against total spending, it may not look like that much. yes, you need to tackle the big entitlements but cutting smaller pieces shouldnt be dismissed as "not that much." when looking at my personal finances, i may cut down my cell phone plan and save $10 a month, my cable, make some changes to cut down my utilities a bit. everything adds up.

raising taxes is pointless without a real plan to cut spending. just like immigration reform is pointless without protecting the border first. you shouldnt even talk about raising taxes until spending cuts are agreed on and implemented.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it actually saves a lot but when you compare each thing against total spending, it may not look like that much. yes, you need to tackle the big entitlements but cutting smaller pieces shouldnt be dismissed as "not that much." when looking at my personal finances, i may cut down my cell phone plan and save $10 a month, my cable, make some changes to cut down my utilities a bit. everything adds up.

raising taxes is pointless without a real plan to cut spending. just like immigration reform is pointless without protecting the border first. you shouldnt even talk about raising taxes until spending cuts are agreed on and implemented.
I fully agree that every little bit helps and changes need to made pretty much across the board. My point was that so many people harp on cutting this agency or that agency, getting rid of foreign aid, etc. Without realizing that together it adds up to very little saved with potentially a lot lost. No one wants to tackle the real issues.

Just to make this discussion more pertinent, look at the issue with the debt ceiling. If we don't raise the debt ceiling (which I believe we should only in concert with a real plan to fix this issue) the government will be short over a trillion dollars within the next 12 months. What bills don't we pay? Unfortunately the answer is none as we will simply print money to pay the obligations as no one seems to have the political cajones to do what's needed.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
do you know what these federal agencies do to ensure this? i believe all these departments are duplicated at the state level. i believe their value is overestimated and what they accomplish can be done much more efficiently.
yes, they audit facilities on a sample basis and organize and announce product recalls. I'm not aware of how this is done at the state level. but if it's done by every state, i would argue that it's more efficiently managed centrally, and it's probably costing us more at the state level (how does NJ ensure that a plant in CA is providing safe food to NJ other than taking CA's word on it?). Maybe it could be done better at the state level. If it's truly duplicated efforts, then fine - eliminate it somewhere. But I don't believe that's the case. I know a few people in food science in this industry....i can ask them for more info, but it's beyond what i know.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
i forget, does the CBO cost estimate for health reform include the cost of covering illegals?
how are illegals covered under the health reform (you can call it obamacare if you want...i won't get mad again hehe)?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM

This land is our land. But what if we sold it? - Jan. 19, 2011

selling off some government property that's not used...small beans, but it counts!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

A ‘Budget-Busting’ Law? | FactCheck.org

A ‘Job-Killing’ Law? | FactCheck.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey