Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 50,444 times

Advertisements

Hi again, We have a young child and our experience with Summit was limited as far as school. I guess it was a general feeling of unease with regard to the teacher quality. We have a bright and motivated child who generally shut down in her new NJ classroom and the teacher was not helpful neither was the principal. Long and personal story however its not important to the majority. I have observed that gauging the quality of education our kids rcv is very personal. Of course, Summit is rated very well and I am sure for many it is so. When we started to interview private schools our experience in summit was readily understood and we didnt get the feeling we were getting a sales pitch either. We made several friends in Summit who continue to rave about their kids experience in school. One thing that was different is that I am a sahm and most of the couples I met were both working and working hard and long to support a very big lifestyle. Our concerns, challenges etc were very different due to lifestyle choices. And it was clear, at least to me, that if we were to be accepted among our peers a certain type of dress, car and public appearance would be required. Again, just our experience.
To the extent that Summit has the largest AA and hispanic population of the towns the op mentioned you are probably correct. However, geographically these families seem to be located in a specific part of Summit with overflow limited (ie Jefferson School).
The op never mentioned diversity as a concern so perhaps its not important. I do believe one can make a place for oneself no matter where they live but since our move to NJ the differences between race and income and the mixing between the haves, kind of haves and have nots has taken on a sharper point of consideration for us. And we have not arrived at a conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,348 times
Chatham Township, New Providence and Berkeley Heights are wonderful. You want to stay away from Summit. Have you ever looked into Long Hill Township, Warren, Basking Ridge, Or Bernardsville?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,816 times
Here are some thoughts on "best schools". Towns that are predominantly higher income are going to score better on testing. This pushes schools up in the ranks and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It attracts the smarter kids (or driven parents) and it feeds the ranks. Make sure you look at measures of the school itself, teacher/ student ratio, class size, % of teachers with advanced degree, etc. Also, if one of your main goals is to competitive in college placement, the top schools can only take so many kids from Millburn, GR, etc. Find a community in which you feel comfortable and has schools that are good enough that your kid can go as far as their talents and interests allow.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkins2249 View Post
Chatham Township, New Providence and Berkeley Heights are wonderful. You want to stay away from Summit. Have you ever looked into Long Hill Township, Warren, Basking Ridge, Or Bernardsville?
Spot on. I'm very familiar with Summit having had a best friend who came from one of the founding families of this town. If you don't want your child to be surrounded by spoiled Princesses, then check out the other towns Perkins recommended especially New Providence. Every town referenced in the above post is very nice, have good schools and transportation to NYC.

My husband grew up in Short Hills and attended Millburn High. He hated the overbearing snootiness of this area and calls it "Snob Hills". I attended a luncheon given by my MIL and her friends from Millburn, Summit, Short Hills were invited. They were actually bemoaning the fact the area wasn't want it used to be because it wasn't "waspy" enough!!
I almost "lost" my lunch after that.

Millburn might have a slightly better school system according to the stats, but the other towns mentioned have great schools too. Another plus is there will be a much larger selection of homes in your price range.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey