Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM

15 posts, read 46,382 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I have been trying for the last few months to decide whether to move to a NJ suburb and if so which town. We keep going back and forth, but we'd really like to make a decision!

Background - We are 38 and 37. We currently live in Weehawken and both work mid-town, me around Rockefeller Center, and her around Park Avenue and 49th Street. Our work hours are somewhere between 8am and 7pm. We love living around a city. We also have kids (son and daughter, both under 2 years), so we need to think about all those factors. We are thinking about moving next spring and finding a house in NJ that has excellent schools and is a reasonable commute to the city. The list of important factors are as follows: great school, decent taxes for NJ, good home for the price, safety, surrounded by persons with similar beliefs (as we are both Catholic, and are raising our children as such), and to try to be in a town where "keeping up with the Jones's" is a daily requirement.

We've narrowed it down to Chatham B. Chatham Twp, Summit, Millburn and Glen Ridge. We have limited our budget to max $700k for a house that is at least 3 bedroom, 2 bath. If you are familiar with these areas, I'd love to get some advice about which town you would choose and why. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
if decent taxes is your #2 priority - scratch Glen Ridge off your list, maybe even Millburn.

As for the other 3, find the house you like and go for it!

did you really mean this statement? "and to try to be in a town where "keeping up with the Jones's" is a daily requirement"

Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Thank you taxes, are important, but will pay, as long as the school system and town community, in general, can justify them. Additionally, the statement was meant to be an indication, that we are "down to earth" people, who don't want to be, or more importantly, our children being dismayed by excess and too much indulgence.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqesq2000 View Post
Thank you taxes, are important, but will pay, as long as the school system and town community, in general, can justify them. Additionally, the statement was meant to be an indication, that we are "down to earth" people, who don't want to be, or more importantly, our children being dismayed by excess and too much indulgence.
so I think you meant to say not "be in a town where keeping up with the Jones's is a daily requirement".

I'll give my 2 cents. I think that Millburn is very "keeping up with the Jonse's" I am probably jaded since my friends that live there are sort of on the lower end of the wealth scale in the town( granted that still puts them in the top .01% income bracket) and they are all about the "right" car or the "right" fashion, etc. and telling everyone about what they have and why its important.( I'm sure you know the type). Anyway, since I don't live there it is the only experience I have so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand I have several friends in Chtham and go there often. I really like it there. Nice town, wealthy but just has a nice feel to it. It would be my pick.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Thank you, and yes that is correct. Sorry for any confusion. Any thoughts on Summit or GR?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM

133 posts, read 502,513 times
I would REALLY check out New Providence(Union County). The town right next to Summit. Excellent schools... It got #4 or #5 of Top Schools of 2010 in NJ Monthly- (That's If you value the rankings in this magazine)...Great friendly community(great town pool), healthy commute to NYC and within your budget. I also think it has the less "Keeping up with the Jones" out of all the other towns you have mentioned.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
I love GR and would live there in a heartbeat if money was no object, but the taxes are truly backbreaking and I'm not sure I can justify living there over the Chathams or Summit. The schools and community are not exponentially better.

For instance...MLS: 2806390 on market for $799K - taxes nearly $22K.

I figured you made a typo in your "keeping up with the Jones' " statement, but wasn't sure, you wouldn't be the first on the forum who admitted they wanted to keep up.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
I agree with New Providence.

Millburn and Chatham are VERY much keep-up-with-the-Joneses kinds of towns. The schools in both are excellent. The schools in NP are rated almost as well though, and it is a more down-to-earth friendly town. There is a great community pool there and a smaller pool club, and you are near Summit for downtown. And there is other commerce along Springfield Ave. Train is only one stop further than Summit.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I love GR and would live there in a heartbeat if money was no object, but the taxes are truly backbreaking and I'm not sure I can justify living there over the Chathams or Summit. The schools and community are not exponentially better.

For instance...MLS: 2806390 on market for $799K - taxes nearly $22K.

I figured you made a typo in your "keeping up with the Jones' " statement, but wasn't sure, you wouldn't be the first on the forum who admitted they wanted to keep up.
you are so right, taxes in Glen Ridge are MIND BLOWING, Montclair's best sections are actually cheaper!!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Thank you, and yes that is correct. Sorry for any confusion. Any thoughts on Summit or GR?
when i was looking, i loved Glen Ridge, just can't afford it yet. Great schools, nice cute town, all the streets seem amicable when we were browsing. I haven't hung out in Millburn enough yet to give an opinion there, but it looks nice and has a cute main street. Chatham, i've always liked it when i was in and around that are visiting friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey