U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 196,137 times

Advertisements

I recently realized that my dreams of skipping college and putting that time in on my construction skills, has went oh so wrong. I have learned the craft I have managed people, and I have sold huge jobs, but I have no piece of paper or certificate that says I'm ready to move up into a superintentant, assistant project manager, building inspector etc.. Right now I sit here with a ton of expierience and no way of distinguishing me from a drunken day laborer. I am good at what I do I just don't have the desire to run a company anymore. I just want to put my 50/60 in somewhere get a decent wage for my time. I have to get some kind of degree or certificate I'm wondering do I stay in the Construction Field or abandon it for a 2 year radiology tech degree which I have no intrest in but pays well. So aggravated, just want to make the best choice for my family which in turn is driving me nuts. This week alone I've signed up for online college, applied to commercial diving school, talked to the program director for Barber School, look into becoming a personal trainer, HVAC program And the list goes on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,881,850 times
I can't imagine spending two years going to school for something I have no interest in, and then going to work in that field every day just because "it pays well"- I'd sooner put a bullet in my head.....

Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,008,203 times
Go to a county college as a lib arts major. You are bound to take one class that will help you make up your mind.

It's a journey. I went in as one thing and left another. Think of what you're really interested in, what you can pour time and energy into without dragging yourself to it, something you look forward to. Work with it. You have a lot of experience, is there any of it you have an interest in expanding upon? Try starting there.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM

28,180 posts, read 22,311,952 times
I'm from PA, but your post caught my attention because we are the same age. I'm an adult student as well. I'm on track to graduate this Spring. I started college when I was 29.

I am attending our local community college for Commercial Art. I tried a few other majors but nothing really caught my interest. Finally, I went to the career planning office and took the career placement test. Some people poo poo these tests but I can tell you that it hit the nail on the head for me. It gives you the top 5 industries you would be most happy in and excel in. I never thought of myself as a ComArt major. But I have consistently done well in my courses and I enjoy it. It's really opened a whole new world for me. Plus, ComArt has many different jobs under that large umbrella.

I think that should be your next order of business.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 PM

32,995 posts, read 22,041,378 times
If you DO end up getting a 2- year degree outside your interest, don't do radiology, jobs at this moment are not abundant. I have a good friend who is an MRI tech who got laid off a year ago and can only find per diem work. With the same 2 years you could be a PT assistant and make $50,000-70,000 right out of the gate.

But if you really do like what you're doing, why not ASK the people who have the power to make those managerial hiring decisions what the best degree for you would be, and whether it will really make a difference or not.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,065,872 times
Find out what the requirements are for Building inspector, project manager, etc and do that.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

2,048 posts, read 5,330,741 times
Community college for some pre-engineering or pre-architecture courses? And as above poster mentioned, try to find out what the zoning officers, building inspectors, or project managers have their credentials in. Also, contact the adult education supervisor at your local county vocational school. They often have ideas for certifications that might strengthen your credentials in the field.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM

159 posts, read 463,865 times
1. Always go with what you feel passionate about.

2. It's a journey and not to be rushed.

When you forgo college at a young age and pursue marriage and children and then decide to go back to college its a longer process, but not impossible.

Take one class at a time and do good in those classes. You'll be surprised as you go how things change. You'll probably stumble across things you never knew you loved and find you are a lot less excited about things you thought you would be.

Definitely don't do something you have no interest in because of the money. You'll just be miserable.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,145,997 times
Hi Ace, I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm in the tech field for almost 17 years now. Ive been a peon, I've been manager, I've been lead project manager but, I have no certs or degrees to "prove" I know what I know and are capable of. While I doubt I would lose my job any time soon (seniority + a host of other reasons) I would love to move on to something bigger/better and Ive heard from 2 head hunters so far they really cant do anything for me because they cant prove to a potential employer on my behalf that I'm worth the risk when there are Soooooooo many others out there that are UNemployed with better references (on paper anyway). On top of that I hear companies are getting some kind of spiff if they hire someone whos been unemployed for some time which, if true, simply makes it harder for those who have jobs but are looking to move.

Anyway, so im facing the grim task of going back to school to finish some type of degree/cert program. I had my ASE certs in auto tech from a long time ago and LOVE working on cars but because i havent been in the industry in so long Id have to start almost from the bottom again and take a 20-30k pay cut. Im already working 50-60hrs week so time for school is also an issue.

I'd love to hear how things turn out for you. I need any/all the motivation I can get to get off my azz.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 5,964,946 times
My advice to you is this, go with something in your current field. With so much unemployment it will be hard to break into a new industry. There is nothing more defeating than going to school for a degree and getting out only to find you can't get a job. As others have mentioned I would go with something like a degree program in architecture, city planning, etc. that way when you graduate you'll have more "real world" experience than almost anyone in those fields making you an extremely desirable candidate for any open position.

If you are going to go with a new field I would strongly suggest nursing. It's the one field that is more and more in demand and you are almost guaranteed a job upon completion of your degree. Pay is very good but to become a CRN you do have to put in quite a bit of schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: