Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times

Advertisements

I remember the last time I had an inspection at a DMV it seems like I paid around 50. I looked up online at the dmv site to verify and I can't find where it says exactly, it just says "registration fee", but that sounds like the fee for renewing a registration, which I already had done a while back.

My brakes work fine but I know they're due and my muffler started rotting so I'm worried i'll have to put a fortune up to get it to pass. I think I better work more now to save for that.

Anyone else with this experience? Do cars easily fail inspection in nj?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
inspections are free, and i think they are only checking emissions now.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Inspections at a public, state inspection facility are FREE. If you choose to go to a privately owned mechanic/autobody shop that is licensed to do inspections, they will charge you something like $50. I guess people choose to pay to go to private inspection facilities for convenience? At a state inspection facility, you are guaranteed to wait on line...but to me, it's worth it to save the $50. Some state inspection facilities barely have any wait at all. Of course, there's always a mad rush at the end of the month, so you should avoid that time.

tahiti is correct--they are only checking emissions now.

I just took my 11 year old car for inspection a couple months ago. I was afraid I'd fail because I know the car needs some repairs, makes weird noises, etc. etc. But I passed.

I HAVE failed with this car, at the same inspection facility, in the past though...for a broken tail light or something. It's much easier to pass now.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Inspections at a public, state inspection facility are FREE. If you choose to go to a privately owned mechanic/autobody shop that is licensed to do inspections, they will charge you something like $50. I guess people choose to pay to go to private inspection facilities for convenience? At a state inspection facility, you are guaranteed to wait on line...but to me, it's worth it to save the $50. Some state inspection facilities barely have any wait at all. Of course, there's always a mad rush at the end of the month, so you should avoid that time.

tahiti is correct--they are only checking emissions now.

I just took my 11 year old car for inspection a couple months ago. I was afraid I'd fail because I know the car needs some repairs, makes weird noises, etc. etc. But I passed.

I HAVE failed with this car, at the same inspection facility, in the past though...for a broken tail light or something. It's much easier to pass now.
luckily the closest inspection station to me only takes appts so your wait is next to nil....and should even be less now that they only do emissions checks.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
I find that most of the time the waits at the NJMVC inspection stations are very minimal. It's usually at the end or beginning of months or around holidays when they might have lines.
Remember they are usually closed Mondays so they are open Saturday mornings, similar to the agency offices.

You can look up the waiting time online by viewing webcams installed at the inspection stations HERE:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Well it looks like inspection stations are open Monday through Saturdays while agencies have Mondays off. Except tomorrow (Jan 17th) is Martin L King Day so everything is closed.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
That's a relief because I need shocks and all kinds of stuff. With all the other costs of driving this is good.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I drive by the inspection station in Lawrenceville off of route 1 every morning. Most days there are less than a dozen cars waiting.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
At a state inspection facility, you are guaranteed to wait on line.
Really?? I haven't waited on line at an inspection station in ten years. Maybe on the last day of the month at 4:45 p.m. or something, but the three inspection stations closest to me never seem particularly crowded.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Yeah, actually you guys are right about the wait times. They really HAVE been slashed significantly. The one I go to is in Randolph in Morris County...when I went a few months ago there were maybe 5 or 6 cars ahead of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey