U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,515,790 times
Something is seriously out of line here. Perhaps a misunderstanding? In any case, the answer is no, the dealer cannot take the car back. If I were you, I'd immediately call the sales manager or the owner of the dealership. Let him know exactly what his employee did & said. Odds are that he doesn't want a moron like that representing him or his dealership, and will fix the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,097,146 times
go to the dealership, video record the conversation

profit

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,746,328 times
Quote:
go to the dealership, video record the conversation
Not a great idea. As you would be on private property, the owner has no obligation to allow you to record anything. Most likely you would be told to leave. A refusal to do so makes you subject to a Trespass complaint.

The entire story sounds a bit odd. Dealers could care less what you say after they get paid. They now have their money and I seriously doubt the call came from anyone high up in the dealership. Probably some low level salesman.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

105 posts, read 88,630 times
The whole story as the OP puts it looks odd to me. No dealership in their right mind would do that if they are serious about their business. Why not just visit them in person if they are not returning the calls? The bank owns the car now and the dealership can't just "take it back" on their whims. Definitely dealership knows it better.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,515,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
The bank owns the car now
Actually, that's not true. The person who bought it owns it. He just put it up as collateral for the loan, and will have to give it up to the lender IF he doesn't pay the debt.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM

10,593 posts, read 21,773,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
The whole story as the OP puts it looks odd to me. No dealership in their right mind would do that if they are serious about their business. Why not just visit them in person if they are not returning the calls? The bank owns the car now and the dealership can't just "take it back" on their whims. Definitely dealership knows it better.
I have to say that after transcribing calls for the Toyota, I have heard of instances like this. Sad to say. It was not unusual for people to say they were so upset with their dealership that they would change to another one for their regular maintenance, repeat customers would change to another dealership for later purchases because of bad treatment like this.

Bill, he said in his original post this WAS the Sales Manager that spoke to him this way. I personally think he will get more abuse at the car dealer ship and should take his complaint to Toyota.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 8,392,298 times
Quote:
......The sales manager last week called me and angirly demanded the car back. His said my rating of the dealership is so low that his year-end compensation is affected. So he wanted his car back......
This story is a riot!!

What's the dealership's name?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,259,207 times
This probably isn't the best idea, but I would tell them sure they could have the car back as long as they pay for the car full price including taxes and fees. Cash of course.

They would lose quite a bit of money seeing as they would have sell the car used.

To solve your problem I would see if I can go above the sales manager and tell his boss they are retaliating against you for leaving a low rating. If he doesn't have anybody on the premises see if you can get info from toyota.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

16 posts, read 38,472 times
here is the update of my case:

i got the registration from the dealer, and is about to pay off my car loan so that i could get my title. i really do not want to go back to that dealership to face those guys.

thank you all very much for all the advices provided.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 38,472 times
All the things in my post are true, I have the number and name of the person who called me. I never saw that guy, but I know he is someone at management level, and he is the sale mananger, not the actual salesman on the floor.

also I did call the saleman on the floor who I negoitiated with, and he was not happy. He said he almost lost his job because of the bad review. I felt sorry and told him that i can talk to his mananger about this. after all it is the problem from the financing guy.

So he told me to come to the dealership to pick up my registration, that is all and i hope this was the last time i stepped into the dealership. i also do not plan ro report this to toyota, as i would want to let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey