U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM

4,470 posts, read 5,895,286 times
I shop at the Shop Rite in Washington (Warren Co.) and it is fantastic! It's less than a year old and replaced a 1950's Shop Rite that was situated about 4 miles away. I couldn't be happier. It's clean, spacious and well organized.

The A&P down the road in Hampton (Hunterdon Co.) spent who knows how much money and years of litigation trying to block the opening of my beloved new Shop Rite. Maybe if they spent more time on figuring how to get more customers butts in the door, they wouldn't be so worried about their doors closing forever. Not sure how much longer that store will be open. I have heard that a couple other A&Ps in Warren Co. are set to be closing. I have never been a fan of A&P, Shop Rites store brand is so much better IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM

11,505 posts, read 19,898,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixtibs View Post
ShopRite from Home all the way. Just pull up into the secret parking area, they bring you the groceries, you drive away! Their online catalog is 100% updated! Otherwise its like fighting through the masses to get some pretzels...narrow aisles stacked with stuff. I went in ONCE and said f-this!
Nope. I stopped doing that when they increased their shopping fee by 100% ($10 to $20). I blasted a message to Ronetco that an increase like that was ridiculous - I could see increasing the delivery fee, but the shopping fee of $20 is outrageous. I stopped shopping at SR after that.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 AM

876 posts, read 1,448,095 times
I never thought ShopRite stores were dumpy. In fact I always thought they were the opposite. Most of them are spotless from what I have seen and the customers there have always been the worst (snottiest), and everyone I know who worked there hated it as much as I did as a kid.

Pathmarks were always the dumpiest IMO, and I know that chain is definitely on its last leg now that they closed so many of them. I like A&P, but they own Pathmark and both stores have closed a lot of locations because that company is run so backwards. Every store is the same and does not have locations adjusting to the given area's demographics.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM

173 posts, read 263,098 times
my cost is still 10 dollars at my shoprite in brookdale

Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM

11,505 posts, read 19,898,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixtibs View Post
my cost is still 10 dollars at my shoprite in brookdale
yeah i know, my shoprite is the only one in the state charging $20 - and that little tidbit was in my letter also, lol.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,128,888 times
Know what I miss most about living in NJ? Nutley Park Shoprite. Oh, I love that store. You just can't beat the prices or selections of Italian specialty items. Whenever, I visit family I have to stop in to stock up on a few things.

It's never dirty, but the aisles are way too narrow. You can barely pass another cart. And the parking lot is insane. Can't tell you how many arguments I've witnessed over parking spots (especially around the holidays) and how many near-misses I've had with elderly folks vying for my spot as I've pulled out.

Still, I wish I had something like it here in Vermont. Our local chain is laid out much better with wide aisles, better signage, and lots of check-out lanes, but I definitely pay more for my groceries.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

46 posts, read 57,281 times
Shop-Rites aren't completely dirty. As has been stated, it really does depend on the store. My sister works at the store in North Bergen, NJ and that store has been there almost a decade now and it still looks alright. Of course, I work at the Whole Foods in Edgewater and it's a much nicer store. Pathmark and A&P chains across the board are leaning towards disgusting. Except the A&P Fresh that I worked at in West New York was the nicest one I've seen. I think anywhere where people have money people try and keep their store clean cause then they'd lose business.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 PM

143 posts, read 212,928 times
Magic,
Do you mean the small Shop Rite near the Bed, Bath, Beyond on the Milburn/Summit border? That one is OK as it was redone inside about 2-3 yrs ago. My kids went to daycare next store yrs ago so some mornings I would run in for diapers/formula etc. It is probably the smallest & oldest in the area. Garwood Shopright is nice, but far for you coming from Milburn. Berkley Heights Grand Union may not be too far -that one is nice & even has wine section!
Whole foods is wonderful but going there never replaced a "regular" food store for me.
I still miss Trader Joe's since we moved out of NJ!!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,301,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
Of course, I work at the Whole Foods in Edgewater and it's a much nicer store.
And since Whole Foods charges about 3x more for their products than any other grocery store it better be clean and nice

Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,301,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
You think Shoprite stores are dumpy? Go to the C-Town in New Brunswick...Shoprite looks like heaven in comparison!
LOL...you think that C-Town is bad now? You should have seen it 15 years ago when I was at Rutgers. My friends used to go out drinking and then dare each other to walk down George St. at 2am to see who could make it to C-town without getting robbed, beaten, or worse...That's a brand new neighborhood now compared to what it once was, but I'm sure the store still isn't great. I've noticed C-Towns are usually only located in the worst sections of the inner cities for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey