U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 34,169 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to NJ in a few days. My hubby's office will be in Peapack, NJ. We want to live near there, but have not been able to find a suitable apartment complex. A bigger problem is that my 4 year old (13th Oct born) does not meet the cut off date for any of the nearby school districts for the Sep 2011 session. The only 2 cities that I h've been able to find that have a later cut off date are Springfield and Somerset. Since we cant really afford private kindergarten (and want to use the public school bus service), these are the two cities we are considering, even though they are far. I would appreciate advice from anyone living in and around these areas, to help me select one of these two. Factors that matter are:
- Safety
- Kid Friendly Neighbourhood
- Elementary Schools (good or bad)
- Ease of commute from Peapack
- Apartments/Condos - Reasonable Rents
- Open areas/Less Parking issues - We dont want to live in a crowded downtown type area
All suggestions regarding these points are welcome. If anyone knows of any good apartment complexes in any of these cities, please mention these too.
Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM

572 posts, read 1,818,890 times
I lived in Springfield for 10 years and LOVED it. It is a very safe, family oriented town and the schools are good. My mother lives near Somerset and in my opinion you can not compare the 2 towns. Springfield would win by a mile.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

26 posts, read 45,236 times
Two very different towns. Springfield is a very nice town and has great schools. Somerset is a much larger town and a much more diverse area. I am currently in Somerset (house not apt) and am actually looking to move soon. The schools are okay depending on which you get into - there are some that I would not send my daughter to and unfortunately they tend to be near the aparments. But that doesnt mean if you live there you would be in those schools - it doesnt always go by distance here. I know that if I am still here when my daughter goes to school we may have to put her in private school.

From a commute standpoint - probably easier from Somerset than Springfield the traffic will be worse from Springfield. From Somerset it would be about 20-30 minutes in the morning traffic - I drove past there another 5 exits and it was only about 30 minutes for me unless there was an accident.

Both are family friendly, parts of somerset are safe and parts are not (NewBrunswick border, Rt 27),
I cant speak to rent rates, or parking - although most of the apts here have their own lots and I do not see the cars parked in the roads.

I would say it would really depend - better schools, worse commute or okay schools with a better commute.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 34,169 times
Thanks!
jsm927 - would you know which elementary schools are ok, or definitely not ok, in somerset?
either info would help.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM

249 posts, read 743,502 times
I live in the Franklin Park area of Somerset. The Franklin Park grammer school is very good. Hopefully, JSM927 will be able to suggest others as well. The further south on Route 27 (away from New Brunswick & towards Princeton) the better.
There's a few new beautiful luxury apartment complexes along Route 27 called Green Hill. Or, another option is to rent a condo - sometimes it can be less expensive for more space. There's a large Society Hill complex in Franklin Park that always has owners renting out their condos.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM

26 posts, read 45,236 times
In Somerset I know Connerly, Samson G., Elizabeth and Macafee are decent - Im not sure about the rest - I do know the one on Franklin Blvd (I think thats Franklin school) is not one I would want my daughter in. Just my opinion.

Franklin Park is very nice area and that part of Rt 27 is fine its the area on 27 near New Brunswick that is no very nice.

And if you can rent a condo, that would probably be a better option than most of the apartments around - the ones on JFK blvd are okay and in a decent area but those are the only ones I know of around here other than the areas I wouldnt recommend. No to Hamilton Blvd apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey