Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No...If I want to buy YOUR house and you enlisted a realtor... I have to go through them, no?

And they get a percentage for what? And who pays that percentage?

So, if I want THAT house, I have two options.

1 - talk directly with the owner and see if I can leverage

or

2 - fall in love with another house

so.....if the owner doesn't want to budge, how do I have the option to not deal with the realtors service?

If you want to get really serious about it...you don't even need a bank. You can work a loan directly with the homeowner. Of course, that would probably happen only in the rarest of circumstances (i.e. Family)... But it is 100% legal.

Realtors (as well as many other service jobs) are as useless as toll collectors.
For starters, why would you even be looking at houses listed with a realtor. If you don't want to have a realtor involved at all look at houses that are FSBO. So there shouldn't even be the opportunity to fall in love with a house and then have the issue come up.

You don't pay a dime to the realtor in any case. The seller does. Offer what you think is fair. It is either accepted or not. Feel free to deduct whatever % you think is going to the realtor if that makes you feel better.

You only get to impact your decisions, not those of anyone else. You can't walk in to a car dealership and tell them you don't want any salesman involved. You can't tell Best Buy not to have any salesman working the floor because that is costing you money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
For starters, why would you even be looking at houses listed with a realtor. If you don't want to have a realtor involved at all look at houses that are FSBO. So there shouldn't even be the opportunity to fall in love with a house and then have the issue come up.

You don't pay a dime to the realtor in any case. The seller does. Offer what you think is fair. It is either accepted or not. Feel free to deduct whatever % you think is going to the realtor if that makes you feel better.

You only get to impact your decisions, not those of anyone else. You can't walk in to a car dealership and tell them you don't want any salesman involved. You can't tell Best Buy not to have any salesman working the floor because that is costing you money.
It was hypothetical...

Why bring up Best Buy salesmen? I am not defending them...they are equally as useless to any informed consumer.

Car salesmen....same thing...

You are using useless middle men as examples to defend......useless middlemen.

And yes... When I say "useless" it is my opinion. If it is not stated explicitly as fact than it is an opinion!

They are not needed that is a fact...

They provide a service for people who..

A. Want to sell their house for way more than it's market value

And....

Well....that's it!

All why trying to get the highest bidder to take on the loan with all those pecking orders of fees lumped in.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I brought it up as an example of things you can't control. You don't get to dictate how others sell their product. You can choose who will sell you something, but not how. That's the way it works.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Does anyone know why the toll takers are staging a protest this morning? I can't find it anywhere on the news. How strange.

Oh, here it is. I like the very short, third paragraph.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...to_lead_t.html

Last edited by DowntownJerseyCity; 01-25-2011 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Does anyone know why the toll takers are staging a protest this morning? I can't find it anywhere on the news. How strange.

Oh, here it is. I like the very short, third paragraph.

Privatization likely to lead to pay cuts for Turnpike, Parkway toll collectors | NJ.com
I personally like some of the comments. One person postulated that if we only pay them $12 an hour that customer service would decline as in, you get what you pay for. Well, apparently that person has never actually used a toll booth in NJ. If "customer service" really was to decline under the new pay scale the collector would literally have to defecate on the hood of every car.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I personally like some of the comments. One person postulated that if we only pay them $12 an hour that customer service would decline as in, you get what you pay for. Well, apparently that person has never actually used a toll booth in NJ. If "customer service" really was to decline under the new pay scale the collector would literally have to defecate on the hood of every car.
haha, its funny the silly things people say when they are trying to support a bad position. its not my job to set their compensation, but realistically they are basically cashiers and i believe in the private sector cashiers are typically minimum wage jobs.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i think toll collectors should make more like $20/hour. - i thought that is what they get? 45k a year?
Why should somebody who sits in a chair and collects coins make $15k per year MORE than an NYC police officer who is highly trained, skilled, and is at a very high risk of getting shot?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, its funny the silly things people say when they are trying to support a bad position. its not my job to set their compensation, but realistically they are basically cashiers and i believe in the private sector cashiers are typically minimum wage jobs.
I chuckled at the comment too. That being said.. Toll booth attendants are subject to harsher elements tha say.. a cashier at CVS. So, a pay differential is not completely out of order.

Let's be objective.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Why should somebody who sits in a chair and collects coins make $15k per year MORE than an NYC police officer who is highly trained, skilled, and is at a very high risk of getting shot?
NYC police officers top out at more than 45k..... Not as entry level but nobody is forcing people to become officers. If less and less recruits turn out than they can force the hand.

I believe there actually was an incident not too long ago where police salaries were cut significantly and a whole class of recruits for that year all walked out at once.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I chuckled at the comment too. That being said.. Toll booth attendants are subject to harsher elements tha say.. a cashier at CVS. So, a pay differential is not completely out of order.

Let's be objective.
Sure there needs to be a bit of a differential there, but considering most cashiers are making between $7.25 (minimum wage) and say $9.00 an hour, I think $12 is accounting for that differential. Heck, I wouldn't even be upset if they were making $15, but given that the current average is equivalent to about $30 an hour, that's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey