Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 22,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
For those suggesting he be an outside cat... that is a DEATH SENTENCE for a declawed cat. The cat has no means to protect himself and cant even climb to get away. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THIS FOR A DECLAWED CAT ... IT IS INHUMANE TO SUBJECT AN INDOOR CAT WITH NO CLAWS TO A LIFE OUTSIDE. The most humane option here if you cannot find a home or live with him ( maybe limited access to rooms that are easy to clean? ) is to euthanize him.

Its a death sentence to declaw a cat in the first place. To say its a death sentence to let it outside then its only after the fact its been declawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 PM

161 posts, read 767,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePanda View Post
Well that was a large mistake in the first place Might as well have put him to sleep there and then! Declawing an animal like that is cruel it's a way' it protects itself and hunts.
Ok when I got him I was 19 and living at home. I had the choice at the time since he would scratch the hell out their couch, lose the cat or get him declawed. I went with the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
In the meantime have you tried Nature's Miracle (at Petsmart etc.) which has enzymes to remove the urine? Try blotting with the Nature's Miracle, blot and then go over it with a white vinegar/water mixture. Test spot first though. It works really well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I've went through about 35-40 gallons of NAture's Miracle, including the Enzyme formula and the Oxygen removal form of it. It works pretty well, but over time is has discolored my rugs.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ohh I did not see that he is not sick. I wonder why the behavior cant be solved ? I see this is a tough situation, I thought he was ill and or doing this all day and night. If its intermitten maybe it can be solved????
I wish it could be solved. I've tried EVERYTHING. It so tough because he really is a good cat. He's very social, loves people, greats me at the door every day when I come home from work

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Oh people, please lay off this guy for the declawing. It's a controversial topic on which good people can disagree. But more importantly, what is done is done.

OP, did you consider ripping out your rugs and putting down wood? I know it's expensive but it would also increase the value of your home and it might be the answer that lets you keep Mr. Cat for another ten years. My parents have multiple cats and they ripped out their rugs and put laminate down and it is really much more sensible.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
The point about declawing being made here is to educate people about it, in order to try to prevent future occurences of this practice.

Agree with the advice to replace carpet with laminate or other alternative flooring, which is more the fashion today anyway than is rather old-fashioned wall-to-wall carpeting.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Get yourself a burlap sack and a heavy rock.......

JK!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The point about declawing being made here is to educate people about it, in order to try to prevent future occurences of this practice.
I disagree. I think the point of mentioning declawing over and over again in this specific thread is to shame the OP about it, who is already in a bad situation. The only pertinent reason to mention the declawing is in regards to the suggestions that the OP turn this cat to the outdoors (which is another controversial idea, whether or not a cat is declawed). Declawing is legal here, so be it.

People can get very high and mighty when it comes to animals, but we should all be careful. The dog or cat you can't keep can happen to anyone and none of us are perfect pet owners.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Oh people, please lay off this guy for the declawing. It's a controversial topic on which good people can disagree. But more importantly, what is done is done.
OP, did you consider ripping out your rugs and putting down wood? I know it's expensive but it would also increase the value of your home and it might be the answer that lets you keep Mr. Cat for another ten years. My parents have multiple cats and they ripped out their rugs and put laminate down and it is really much more sensible.
Amen to that

Many good suggestions here that I can't trump, hopefully one will be the answer to the o/p problem

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
First of all, I don't want the animal nuts in all over me on this one because I am one too.

I have 2 cats and one of them has a behavioral issue that I simply cannot deal with anymore. He is constantly peeing on our rugs for 3 years now. We have tried absolutely everything. We've spent thousands of dollars on rug cleaners, different litters, vet visits, medicines, everything. He simply will not stop doing it and I've had enough. This is a difficult issue for me as he's been my favorite cat for 10 years, but we just can't deal with him anymore. He is ruining our house and we need to recarpet the entire second floor.

We've tried everything and knowing his problem, none of our friends and relatives will take him He is 10 years old and both neutered and declawed. Is there any shelter I can take him to in NJ. What are my options here?

Thank you and I appreciate the sensitivity on this tough issue.
In dealing with pet odors, I’ve always had excellent results with Natural Touch All-Purpose Cleaner manufactured by Niloder, Inc. www.nilodor.com 800-443-4321. It’s concentrated and works like a charm on dog urine, but it’s formulated to treat cat urine problems, as well.

I first began using it years ago when I lived in Manhattan, because my (trained) dog would not stop urinating in the house. It’s fantastic stuff because no one ever detected an odor, not even during open house when I was selling the place.

Good luck to both you and your cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: