Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM

161 posts, read 767,654 times

Advertisements

First of all, I don't want the animal nuts in all over me on this one because I am one too.

I have 2 cats and one of them has a behavioral issue that I simply cannot deal with anymore. He is constantly peeing on our rugs for 3 years now. We have tried absolutely everything. We've spent thousands of dollars on rug cleaners, different litters, vet visits, medicines, everything. He simply will not stop doing it and I've had enough. This is a difficult issue for me as he's been my favorite cat for 10 years, but we just can't deal with him anymore. He is ruining our house and we need to recarpet the entire second floor.

We've tried everything and knowing his problem, none of our friends and relatives will take him He is 10 years old and both neutered and declawed. Is there any shelter I can take him to in NJ. What are my options here?

Thank you and I appreciate the sensitivity on this tough issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I had a response, but you asked for sensitivity, so I had to abandon my idea..

Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Look for someone that has barns [with mice] that is looking for cats. Assuming your cat isn't ill (no kidney stones, etc.), he is very territorial and needs to be outside.

I had a neighbor that had an old cat that did the same thing. She put her cat down.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
You could try a google search for "cat rescue groups" in your area. They might be willing to take your cat. You could also take it to the local shelter, but it will most likely be put down.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
Older male cats are prone to kidney failure and the first symptoms would be excessive urination and thirst. Have you taken your cat to another vet for a second opinion? There is an excellent veterinarian practice in Tinton Falls where we took our old dog for surgery but you will need a referral from your vet:

http://www.gsvs.org/index.html

I'll have to bite my tongue on this one too but here is a link for you. Be aware this rescue group may or may not have room for your cat They do not put animals down unless they are fatally ill with no hope of survival.

Tabby's Place: a Cat Sanctuary

My cat developed kidney failure at 17 and I gave her subcutaneous fluids for 5 and 1/2 years and she lived to be over 22 years old. If you bring this cat to your local SPCA, this will be a death sentence. As the previous poster stated, try googling "cat rescue groups" where you live if Tabby's Place can't take him.

Last edited by Rowen; 01-23-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
I won't go nuts on your because of your problem, I sympathize with that.

If he is declawed, he can't live anywhere outside, even if you could find some idyllic "farm" that needed a rat chaser. Which you probably can't.

If you can't find a no-kill shelter that will take him, then maybe just have a vet euthanize him? I can't see how any group is going to be able to find him a new home, especially since he is declawed and has a urinating problem. At least then you will know that he was taken care of properly until the end, and had a humane death.

If you do find a shelter to take him, please please please be HONEST with why you are giving the cat away. Please. It is dishonorable not to be honest in this situation. It would be most dishonorable thing you could do in this situation, far worse than just putting him to sleep yourself.

Honestly, in this situation, considering everything, I think euthanizing him is probably the humane answer.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
I had the same experience with a cat. My daughter was 3 years old and I was 6 months pregnant with my second when we adopted this cat. We too tried the vet who tested him for urinary problems and gave him medications that did not work. My daughter would wake up "wet" from a nap. He was using one of our spare bedrooms as his own personal litter box, even though his was fresh and clean. I tried calling to various rescue groups and the cat sanctuary. They treated me like a criminal and was very rude to me. I found someone who wanted an outdoor cat. I was very honest about his issues and they were fine with that since he was going to be an outdoor cat. I checked up on him after 6 months and said he is a wonderful cat and spends his spends his days outside and inside at night. No problems. I lucked out. Maybe you can ask around and see if someone knows someone who wants an outdoor cat.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
This cat can't be an outdoor cat, he is DECLAWED.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Did some major change occur in your household 3 years ago that would cause this cat to become territorial and/or develop an anxiety problem? Birth of a child? Addition of that 2nd cat you spoke about? Maybe just being in a different home where he can start fresh will be the answer as far as his behavioral problems go.

Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter in East Hanover, NJ is a no kill shelter. However, there is a 6-month or so waiting list to get a cat in there. I'm guessing it would be a similar wait at other shelters.

Good luck to both you and the cat.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Sorry but words mean a lot to me. Your tone of getting rid of the cat tells me the entire story. Getting rid? Wow thats how you talk about an animal that you have had for how long? I am sure the pet is causing problems but getting rid is all too telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: