Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM

210 posts, read 196,576 times

Advertisements

So long story short, I live in NC, my family is from Long Island except me and my brother, our parents moved here for us to be born since at the time they couldn't afford to raise us there.

A large chunk of our family is still living in areas surrounding NYC, including in NJ.
Anyway, a trip to Toms River to visit some of that family towards the end of last year kinda opened my eyes to how boring it is where I live, Triad area in NC.

So blah blah blah, there's a chance we may be moving to that area sometime in the next year. It's a fresh start for us all.

Although I grew up in NC, I was raised in a NY style home, so anytime I visit up north, I feel at home, I feel more of an outcast where I live than there. So I feel like I'll have no trouble fitting in.

However, a short trip tells me nothing about the state, or at least the area as a whole, I've looked up things, read this forum, etc.
So this gets me to my point, what is it really like to live here?

I know it's expensive and all that, but I'm strictly talking about socially for someone in his early 20s, I'm used to everything where I live being just "dead" by 10pm minus a few clubs and a bowling alley.

I've become excited honestly about living somewhere where I feel like I'll fit in much better, etc. So like I asked, what's it like to live here?

I hear so much negative about living here, is it really that bad once the novelty wears off? and if it helps, we'd be looking to the Toms River area if we do end up moving.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,294,616 times
You're not likely to find Toms River to be much different than where you are now- it's a generic suburb with a fairly high senior citizen population (several huge adult communities there), strip malls, etc. You'll either need to go to NYC for any real nightlife (a 1.5 hour drive or train ride), or head to some of the shore towns, which are somewhat dead in the colder months.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM

210 posts, read 196,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're not likely to find Toms River to be much different than where you are now- it's a generic suburb with a fairly high senior citizen population (several huge adult communities there), strip malls, etc. You'll either need to go to NYC for any real nightlife (a 1.5 hour drive or train ride), or head to some of the shore towns, which are somewhat dead in the colder months.
Well I did like how the area at least had stuff to do, but not to mention it is quite close to the shore.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,921,627 times
That area is mostly families. If you are young and single, it will probably be boring for you. But then Long Island doesn't get many singles from other places either. If you had grown up in the area it would be different for you but on your own you would want something more urban I would think. Culturally the area is different from NC but why does one so young want to limit themselves?

There are so many of these posts asking the same question really. All of the suburban areas around NYC (pick a state) are similar in my opinion except for income level related locale. As you get farther away there are more variables other than income but if you are young and local you tend to move away from those places for college and career. Many only move back later for a job op. Sometimes they never move back but I can't think of anything in the area you are looking at that most would consider a young twenty something kind of mecca.

Seems this question is asked here over and over. Central NJ is very burbish and settled. Young people from other places rarely uproot themselves to move there unless for job, school, or something specific.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,318,212 times
We just moved from NJ to NC last year mostly because of cost but secondly because of overcrowding.
If you like crowded stores, crowded highways, crowded beaches, crowded bars, you will love NJ.
But is is not just like you see watching "Jersey Shore". Yes there are Guidos and Guidettes "down the shore" but that is just a small part of Jersey shore life.

If you really want to get a good taste of NJ take a trip up there this week before they get their next snow storm. You just might find the Triad ain't all that bad.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,055,170 times
There are lots of suburbs, that are not exciting for a young person. You can always drive somewhere that has clubs, bars etc. New Brunswick is where Rutgers is, lots of bars there. Red Bank has some stuff to do too. The shore is fun in the summer.

Hoboken is the main town that the twenty-something crowd tends to move to in NJ before they are ready to buy a house in the 'burbs. Of course, proximity to NYC is also a key draw.

Another idea is Philly. Philly is great if you are young and before you have a family. Lots of stuff to do, reasonable prices for rent etc.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,982,500 times
As someone who used to live in Toms River I can tell you first hand it's an awesome place. I personally do not consider bars and clubs as the top choice of activities that young people should involve themselves in. In Toms River you have other options such as sailing, surfing, fishing, sports, the beach (Even in the winter!). Although there is plenty of night life in TR, from neighborhood pubs to resturants and nightclubs. In the summer there is no place in that state that even comes close.

Other things I like about TR, no hi rise developments. Affordable with down to earth people. Great shopping. Barnegat Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey