Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
I dont understand why people choose to live SO far from where they work, theres plenty white collar suburbs no less than 20 minutes from midtown, why kill yourself with that commute?

So you feel the commute from midtown to Marlboro isn't worth the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM

97 posts, read 201,713 times
Marlboro is a former rural town that pretty much sprang overnight in 1968.

The two big developments are Monmouth Heights and Whittier Oaks.

Before 1964, Most Marlborites. were English American, Irish American, Polish American and Native American

Italian Americans came to Marlboro around 1964 and later.

Jewish Americans came to Marlboro around 1980.

Asians/Indians and just about everyone else was here by 1985.

Religiously, Marlboro was Catholic and protestant served by St. Gabriel's on Rt. 520 in Hillsdale, Old Brick Reform in Bradevelt, and Robertsville Bible Church, Tennent Road, Robertsville.

Today, Marlboro continues to be Catholic and Protestant, along with Jewish Hindu, and Muslim... a real diverse town with great people from all over the world!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM

386 posts, read 868,530 times
Marlboro is thought of as a "Staten Island trash" town. McMansions, rude people, strip malls.

This isn't 100% accurate (more like 80% ), but reputations go a long way in New Jersey.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM

11,296 posts, read 16,586,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Marlboro is thought of as a "Staten Island trash" town. McMansions, rude people, strip malls.

This isn't 100% accurate (more like 80% ), but reputations go a long way in New Jersey.
No way Staten Island trash. More like Brooklyn.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,014,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
No way Staten Island trash. More like Brooklyn.
Same thing.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM

256 posts, read 570,762 times
Which are the suburbs 20 minutes from Midtown? Is that by helicopter?

Marlboro has a somewhat well deserved negative reputation but to be fair, I think much of that stems from who was moving there maybe 20 years ago (mostly Jewish and some Italian families from Staten Island and Brooklyn- think LI Princesses with a tinge of Jersey Shore, but twice the attitude).

In the last 10-15 years, those people have become the minority. Most of the people coming to Marlboro these days are Indian, Chinese, and Russian (Jewish and not). Together that's probably about at least 25% of the town. The people who came before are retiring and leaving.

Marlboro has better schools than say, Freehold, but not as good as Holmdel. And in recent years Manalapan has caught up...and so have the prices and the demographic divide (that Marlboro was Jewish and Manalapan was Italian) has kind of erased as Russians and Asians are moving there as well. I would say Manalapan is better at getting kids into college. Marlboro has a huge Brookdale constituency.

In terms of Bellemont I think the newer houses fetch a higher price and the newcomers care less about big property so I don't see the issue.

And as for being closer to the city, you will get much more bang for your buck in Marlboro than in the more popular North Jersey towns. You will also get a sneer and a lesser education than you would in Westfield, Madison, Chatham...etc. That's the beauty of NJ...you have your pick.

If you are dead set on Monmouth County...I'd either 1) look more at Holmdel, Rumson/Fair Haven, maybe even Ocean for better schools. Or 2) If you're less concerned with that, drive a little further south to Howell which sends a lot of kids to Freehold or Colts Neck HS and the prices are way less.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,180 times
I moved last year to Bellmont at Marlboro from Bergen County. Here are my observations:
Positives:
-Schools are way better and the students also are more polished and it seems in general more inclined towards education
-Since Bellemont is close to rt 9- Plenty of shops and Costco under 1 mile radius
-Connectivity with NYC is excellent - A bus every 5-10 minutes throughout the day.. more frequent during peak hours.
-Lots of religious activities nearby - if you are an Indian then there's a huge temple about two miles down the Texas road.
-Great community centers and activities for kids throughout the year
-Community is beautiful, safe and very quiet with an upscale feeling to it.
-Mixed demographics with Russians, Indians, Chinese in considerable numbers.

Negatives:
-Commute is 1 hr to mid-town.. add another 15-30 minutes if you are going elsewhere. But the bus frequency and easy seats make it somewhat relaxing. I read news and listen to music which otherwise is impossible with young kids at home.
-Not as close knit as some other communities are - may be because of the diversity or because of all working/business class families busy over weekends.
-Very few houses are available, so less choice
-No basement in single family homes ( I think some town homes have)

Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 149,212 times
How dare you write anything positive on this message board about Marlboro. All the jealous marlboro haters are now going to attack you. Its sad how these same posters bad mouth Marlboro on here, and all their info is incorrect. Just pathetic how they don't write on city data unless marlboro is involved. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier just to get a good laugh at the lies. Im glad your enjoying Marlboro.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,499,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printscreen View Post
How dare you write anything positive on this message board about Marlboro. All the jealous marlboro haters are now going to attack you. Its sad how these same posters bad mouth Marlboro on here, and all their info is incorrect. Just pathetic how they don't write on city data unless marlboro is involved. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier just to get a good laugh at the lies. Im glad your enjoying Marlboro.
I believe its only a couple of people really but they seem to really hate Marlboro for some reason.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printscreen View Post
There you go, I wasn't sure why folks didn't recommend Marlboro. I loved this place the first time I came here to visit a friend. Since I moved in here, I only had pleasant surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey