Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times

Advertisements

JC is not safe and JC has no nightlife. I suggest moving to a borough in NYC (Queens or Brooklyn) for same rent price and enjoy easy access via subway instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Downtown JC has no nightlife, it's actually quiet dead. Don't get me wrong. There are bars and restaurants in downtown JC but it's not what you'd be expecting in terms of atmosphere and age of crowd. Nearest town to really party is NYC. Hoboken does have nightlife but personally if you can get into city through Path. Why go to Hoboken. Hoboken is good for coming out for a quick drink at a local bar from your house if you live in Hoboken...but not worth the trip from another town for nightlife in my opinion.

As for safety of JC. It really depends on what part of JC and what you compare it to since JC is big town. For example, I could say downtown JC is safe as Hunter's point in LIC (Long Island City) in NY. Or JS (Journal square) of JC is safe as Astoria, NY. But I certainly wouldn't say Journal square is safe as Hunter's point or most part of Hoboken.

Lastly, it's also different type of crimes too. Most part of Hoboken would be drunk bar fights or stupid yuppies doing dumb things or college kids doing college kid crap. You know the stuff that happens on college towns or suburbs. Stuff that happens in bad parts of JC aren't these type of things and more urban type of stuff. I'd be surprised to find many drunk bar fights between two yuppies or dumb college kids in JC.

All in all. It all matters on what your tolerance level is on terms of being 'safe'. I used to live in OK neighborhoods in Queens so lot of area in JC isn't unsafe to me. But if you want towns so that have like no crimes that fire or traffic violation is the most action you'll see...there are plenty of towns near by that's like that...ie: Englewood Cliffs, Edgewater, etc.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Downtown JC has no nightlife, it's actually quiet dead. Don't get me wrong. There are bars and restaurants in downtown JC but it's not what you'd be expecting in terms of atmosphere and age of crowd. Nearest town to really party is NYC. Hoboken does have nightlife but personally if you can get into city through Path. Why go to Hoboken. Hoboken is good for coming out for a quick drink at a local bar from your house if you live in Hoboken...but not worth the trip from another town for nightlife in my opinion.

As for safety of JC. It really depends on what part of JC and what you compare it to since JC is big town. For example, I could say downtown JC is safe as Hunter's point in LIC (Long Island City) in NY. Or JS (Journal square) of JC is safe as Astoria, NY. But I certainly wouldn't say Journal square is safe as Hunter's point or most part of Hoboken.

Lastly, it's also different type of crimes too. Most part of Hoboken would be drunk bar fights or stupid yuppies doing dumb things or college kids doing college kid crap. You know the stuff that happens on college towns or suburbs. Stuff that happens in bad parts of JC aren't these type of things and more urban type of stuff. I'd be surprised to find many drunk bar fights between two yuppies or dumb college kids in JC.

All in all. It all matters on what your tolerance level is on terms of being 'safe'. I used to live in OK neighborhoods in Queens so lot of area in JC isn't unsafe to me. But if you want towns so that have like no crimes that fire or traffic violation is the most action you'll see...there are plenty of towns near by that's like that...ie: Englewood Cliffs, Edgewater, etc.
This is spot on , good post.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times
In term of nightlife, downtown JC (newport/exchange place) is mostly a residential area for young professionals, many with families, there are plenty of restaurants that's quite busy at night, but in term of nightclubs/bars yes it doesnt have much activities. That's one of the reasons I and many others decided to live here, who wants all that commotion and having drunks puke all over the place, I am done with college life already. If you want bar hopping and clubs goto the city or hoboken.

That said there are still a few spots that's packed at night
1) The bar inside harborside financial center with the big fishtank, it's always packed every night as i went home, mostly people that works nearby.

2) Beer garden near grove path, it's a more rowdy crowd that lasts well into the night.

3) Not clubs per se, but some of the restaurants in newport like komegashi too have their mini bars that get some people.

Anyway if you want clubbing and nightlife goto hoboken, downtown jersey city is a residential area at night.

And in term of safety, downtown (newport/exchange place) is probably one of the safest areas. But as you go further out pass the grove path station, it gets progressively less safe. I would say once you reach the 78 highway as you walk west from grove path, it becomes no-man's land. Then you have jsq path which is ok and relatively safe during the day, it's mostly an indian town.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
JC is not safe and JC has no nightlife. I suggest moving to a borough in NYC (Queens or Brooklyn) for same rent price and enjoy easy access via subway instead.
Is Queens safe compared to Jersey City? No.

Queens nightlife? Queens has less nightlife than Jersey City.

You've got to lose your hard-on for JC.

There is a reason Downtown Jersey City is more expensive than EVERY neighborhood in Queens (and much of Brooklyn, also).

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
When was the last time someone was murdered in Hoboken? How many people are stabbed each year in Hoboken? How many cars are stolen each year in Hoboken? Downtown JC is not dangerous but it sure as hell has more violent crime/quality of life issues than Hoboken my friend. As far as low income housing , you must have not been north of the Holland Tunnel or beneath the turnpike extension.
If you count the fringe borders of "Downtown" JC (where the projects are between JC and Hoboken, and the Montgomery Gardens), then yes, more murders have occurred in Downtown JC than in Hoboken. I understand that these places are officially within the borders of Downtown JC, but they are so far removed from the heart of Downtown, that it doesn't affect the lives of most Downtown residents, honestly.

The fact remains that Jersey City, even as a whole, is not higher than the nation's average in terms of crime. If you limit it to Downtown Jersey City, it compares extremely favorably with the nation's average for city crime. It's a pretty darn safe urban area.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
In term of nightlife, downtown JC (newport/exchange place) is mostly a residential area for young professionals, many with families, there are plenty of restaurants that's quite busy at night, but in term of nightclubs/bars yes it doesnt have much activities. That's one of the reasons I and many others decided to live here, who wants all that commotion and having drunks puke all over the place, I am done with college life already. If you want bar hopping and clubs goto the city or hoboken.

That said there are still a few spots that's packed at night
1) The bar inside harborside financial center with the big fishtank, it's always packed every night as i went home, mostly people that works nearby.

2) Beer garden near grove path, it's a more rowdy crowd that lasts well into the night.

3) Not clubs per se, but some of the restaurants in newport like komegashi too have their mini bars that get some people.

Anyway if you want clubbing and nightlife goto hoboken, downtown jersey city is a residential area at night.

And in term of safety, downtown (newport/exchange place) is probably one of the safest areas. But as you go further out pass the grove path station, it gets progressively less safe. I would say once you reach the 78 highway as you walk west from grove path, it becomes no-man's land. Then you have jsq path which is ok and relatively safe during the day, it's mostly an indian town.
Hoboken does have a lot of nightlife, and it is very popular among the suburban youths. But I'll argue that Jersey City does have decent nightlife - it's patrons are just generally a bit older (and therefore a bit more tame), and unlike Hoboken, there is not one central "strip" where they are located.

A couple of newish spots in Jersey City, that are pretty happening are: Porto, Powerhouse Lounge, and of course the beer garden. There are lots more - you just have to know where they are, because again, there is no central strip of nightlife.

And I'll take Jersey City's sitdown restaurants over Hoboken's. Although both are no slouch.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Is Queens safe compared to Jersey City? No.

Queens nightlife? Queens has less nightlife than Jersey City.

You've got to lose your hard-on for JC.

There is a reason Downtown Jersey City is more expensive than EVERY neighborhood in Queens (and much of Brooklyn, also).
Downtown JC is right on par in terms of rent with Astoria, parts of LIC and maybe even Woodisde/Sunnyside. As far as Brooklyn its similar rents to Greenpoint.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Downtown JC is right on par in terms of rent with Astoria, parts of LIC and maybe even Woodisde/Sunnyside. As far as Brooklyn its similar rents to Greenpoint.
I take back the Greenpoint comment. Greenpoint is more expensive

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Right - whether discussing rents or purchasing, Downtown Jersey City per square foot is more expensive than about 90% of Queens, and on par with the other 10%. For people seeking a walkable, urban lifestyle, JC is simply more desirable in that aspect.

Regarding Brooklyn, I'd say the only parts that are clearly MORE expensive than DTJC are Downtown/BK Heights/Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill and a few other pockets in that general vicinity. Last time I checked Williamsburg was about on par with DTJC, and Greenpoint was cheaper, but that might have changed. I know Greenpoint and Bushwick are now getting "trendy". Although the last time I was in Bushwick a few months ago, there were zero signs of gentrification!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey