Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,302 times

Advertisements

Wow!! What a range of positive and negative responses...

I would like to thank those who gave me positive, forward-thinking progressive things to do. The town ordinance suggestion was excellent. I have looked into this and apparently, there are limitations in my town. Before 7:00am is considered unreasonable to do drilling, banging, sawing, etc. I will follow up with the appropriate town agency.

To the person who mentioned finding a roommate, that option has also been investigated thoroughly through various means- newspapers, Churches, on-line source, networking, word of mouth, school, etc; but, because I do not have a job it scares potential roommates away. They are afraid that I will not be able to meet the rent which is valid. Even when I show money orders of timely payments to my current LL, it seems that it is not sufficient.

By the way, I have also been told my several potential room mates that they weren't interested in living with a black person; or, in other instances, when I arrive to look at the apt after a great telephone conversation, suddenly, the apartment is not available, or the rental price has gone up or some excuse is made. Again, this is my experience, maybe not yours!!

To the person who mentioned I enjoy the drama(Obrero), it certainly appears that you enjoy "bringing" the drama. Again, when you have resources, and other financial options to your avail, its so easy to say: Move already. But there are thousands of people like me who are highly educated, hard working, tax-paying citizens who don't have the some of the basics-like food- during these hard economic times who have lost their jobs. As a person who does a lot of volunteer work over many many years, the face of the poor and homeless has and is changing. They look like you and me.

Furthermore, I am proud to be a God-fearing Christian. If you don't like, I could certainly care less. I will only focus on those people who have helpful positive things to say. Your comments have turned a request for mature, wise, and experienced assistance into your own private agenda which serves only you. To you, I say: Good bye and may God bless you.

Ann77, thanks for the help and getting Obero straight!!!! Again, I came to this forum seeking positive solutions/help to improve my situation. This is my first time on any forum. Talk about lessons learned. I see you are a Senior member, you carry your title well and seem to exhibit comments worthy of a this ranking.

By the way, I never mentioned I was black which I am, but have been called racist slurs by my LL on several occassions where one can, of course, deduce that I am African-American. This was added to give a brief background, history, and the severity of disdain between the two of us and no other reason. My focus is on solving my issue.

Yes, I am quite aware that most of the world get up around this time. Before I lost my job I was up at 5:00am. But that doesn't mean that I want to hear banging that will wake up the dead at that hour. Or if I am off from school during the Christmas Holidays, I do not want to be jolted awake at 6:15AM out of dead sleep by excessively loud hammering and banging sounds.

I would like to stress that I would like to move right away, but, QUALIFYING for a place is difficult given the restraints that I have already mentioned. Also, I do not have in reserves 1st month rent, and security deposit. Having enough food can be a challenge sometimes. Thank God for food banks!! [I figure Obrero would appreciate me being thankfull to God for what I do have - Yeah, right!]

That aspects seems to escape some of you. In addition, in my experience, finding an apartment under $930 in a decent neighboorhood is very difficult. If you know of any, feel free to post the source, so I can look into it right away. The apts must be in northern NJ since I am in Grad school in NYC.

Peace to you all !!

Last edited by JLR167; 01-28-2011 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: fix some spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Do you pay rent on time every month? Landlords generally care about whether you can pay the rent, in full and on time each month. Any kind of prejudice tends to take a backseat if you can do so.

You have 3 months to go. Apparently you have been dealing with the landlord for 10 years. I would just wait it out if I was you, and when you get a full time job, move out.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,302 times
I posted a detailed response last night to your responses, but when I checked this morning for the post it was not there. I am new to this site and have been able to post my other responses, is there a limit to how many posts one can write or could there be another explantion?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Default It's on the next page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR167 View Post
I posted a detailed response last night to your responses, but when I checked this morning for the post it was not there. I am new to this site and have been able to post my other responses, is there a limit to how many posts one can write or could there be another explantion?
No limit... just check page 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey