U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,054 times

Advertisements

Hi: I'm brand new to this, so I hope you are kind and helpful. I am writing for help on 2 issues, but all related to landlord vs. tenant rights.

1-I am a tenant living in a apartment building with about 8 units. The landlord does not live here. I have been here for 10 years. My current landlord took over 5 years ago and has basically thru harrassment and/or raising the rent thru rental increases has been successfully at getting almost all the old tenants out -90% turnover. He has tried it with me, but I have been able to win in court everytime with free legal aid. My landlord and I are adverseries of the worst kind. I have many police reports, housing reports violations against him, fire inspectors violations against him, etc. In addition, to being called the "N" Word along with othe vulagarites by the LL.You get the picture. I am not rich,quiet and a Christian woman. As a matter of fact, I have lost my job thru downsizing and budget cuts. I was a new math teacher in NYC. I am in graduate school trying to improve my life situation. Of course, I want to move, but can not afford to move.

Here's the deal: I just receveid a letter-Notice to Cease to be followed by a Notice to Quit from my landlord stating that one of the tenants in my building has complained about me playing music to loud at 4:00am in the morning. This is not true. The tenant has not been identified. Most of the people in the building are kinda new-around 1 year. I don't know most of them. I spoke with my neighbor directly across from me about the matter. She has stated that she has no complaints and barely hears me at all. The tenant below has recently moved out. I am on the top floor. There is another neighbor who is consider the LL's spy. We do not speak at all. The other day one of their guests parked illegally and I could not get out of my designated parking space. When I asked them to move their car, I was met with the usual hostility, but they did move the car. I did not complain to landlord. Today, I got this Notice to Cease in the mail.

What can I do legally to dispute or fight this? Of course, I need to follow up in writing, but is there a law or something I can use to support myself?

2-My LL is making renovations to the apt below. For the last month or so, my LL and various repair people having been banging and making noises-drills, hammering, cussing, banging-sometimes starting at 6:30am which disturbs my sleep. Are there laws about reasonable hours to do repairs, and my right to quiet enjoyment?

Isn't there a law or ordinance which protects my right to quiet enjoyment as well from the landlord?

Please help?
JLR

Last edited by JLR167; 01-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: To correct some spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM

17,579 posts, read 36,997,540 times
For starters I would go back to whatever was the source of your free legal aid. Maybe they can help you again. But I have to ask. Why have you stayed there that long? Why have you made the decision to stay in a place after 5 years of hassle from the LL?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,302,341 times
Quote:
drills, hammering, cussing, banging-sometimes starting at 6:30am which disturbs my sleep
Check your town ordinances. Many towns have them online. This is one of the most popular On-line Town Ordinace vendors in the state and you may find your city here. http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx

Most, if not all towns and cities have ordinaces outlining the permisable days and times for construction and noise in general.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:12 AM

4 posts, read 8,054 times
Hello Manderly6 and Rscalzo:
Thank you both for reponding so quickly. To answer question about free legal aid: I was told by legal aid in my area that due to drastic cutbacks they do not have enough attorneys to handle the demand. Even people with eviction notices are being turned away. I was told that they can not help me.
As stated earlier, due to chronic job losses over several years-layoffs, downsizing, budget cuts- I have been unable to move. I can not qualify with another landlord because I do not have a regular paycheck since I am on unemployment which will end shortly. While I am an highly financially responsible person, my credit is very poor because I can not afford to pay my creditors on time. Unfortunately, I have done a bankrutpcy which has adversely affected my credit. I prioritize my rent, utilities, and basic needs like food. Other than that I can not afford to pay anyone else.
I desperately want to leave,but I can't find a place that I can afford. My current rent is $930 for a 1 bedroom. Most 1 bedrooms in northern NJ are $1200 and up plus utilities. I will graduate from school in May 2011 as a fully certified math teacher-NYC. I hope to find a job and move asap. I am trying to hold on until then. I have no family in this area to move in with. As a matter of fact, I have no family support at all.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,751,071 times
You should be able to find studio rent for under $900 in many places in NJ?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,549,098 times
Honestly it sounds like you love the drama. You can easily move in with a roomate and pay less than $930 a month. You have already stated you can't afford the place. Move already.

Who cares if you are a Christian.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,400,711 times
Ok, sounds like the LL and you have a history against each other already.

Honestly, I would just lay low until May if you don't feel like finding another place.

6:30 am is not that early. It's a little bit early than most contractors would start in a multi-unit residence, but it's not shockingly early. Most of the world gets up that early during the week.

I know it's not to your liking, but I would just put up with it til May at this point. Go to bed a little bit earlier. I can't see how starting more stuff with this landlord is going to help you get to your goal, which is finishing your school by May and not moving before then.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Honestly it sounds like you love the drama. You can easily move in with a roomate and pay less than $930 a month. You have already stated you can't afford the place. Move already.

Who cares if you are a Christian.
Who cares if she writes that she is a Christian?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,549,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Who cares if she writes that she is a Christian?
Moi

Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Moi
Eh. It was just a self-identifier. She also mentioned that she was black, not rich, quiet. Who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or