Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:18 AM

184 posts, read 235,123 times

Advertisements

"Are Puerto Ricans considered white in NJ?"

Well ask any white or black person from NJ if they consider Ricans white. I'm from NJ and dont consider them white, I mean ofcoarse they are some who are white and some who are black, but most are mixed race, not just in NJ, but anywhere in the country including PR, they are a mostly mixed race ethnic group.

Ask any PR from Camden, Newark, Trenton, Paterson, JC, AC, Pleasantville, Vineland, Perth Amboy.. Ask them if they consider themselves white. Or even just look at them to see if they look racially white or act culturally white.

Dont know why white ppl tryna claim Ricans so bad. Can't believe this thread actually is going on this long. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Looking back I don't think this was the smartest question to ask. After taking Latino Studies classes I realized Latinos may not assimilate the same way that Europeans have. At the time I thought Latinos would have. Latinos have been in this country since the 1800s if not before and are still not assimilated or seen as Americans "like everyone else" to this day. Sure recently arrived Latino immigrants could be one reason why but still I don't think the assimilation process for Latinos will work like it did for Europeans. Latinos also don't have to strive to be "white" either. African Americans have retained their blackness maybe Puerto Ricans and other Latinos will retain their Latinidad for generations and not be absorbed into white culture like the Italians or the Irish. In Perth Amboy, Puerto Ricans have been here for generations since the 1940s and the 50s if not earlier. Puerto Ricans still retain their Puerto Rican and Hispanic culture. Even Puerto Ricans who work in City Hall who might have been born in the States still speak Spanglish and have not assimilated to the white culture. Like the blacks, these Latinos have maintained their identity and have not tried to blend in to the generic white culture. We should just appreciate diversity instead of making everyone just "one" and pushing people to forget about their culture like we did about 100 years ago. This is the 21st Century and we should accept the fact we have differences and learn to work with them.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Ask them if they consider themselves white. Or even just look at them to see if they look racially white or act culturally white.
What does it mean to "act culturally white"?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Looking back I don't think this was the smartest question to ask. After taking Latino Studies classes I realized Latinos may not assimilate the same way that Europeans have. At the time I thought Latinos would have. Latinos have been in this country since the 1800s if not before and are still not assimilated or seen as Americans "like everyone else" to this day. Sure recently arrived Latino immigrants could be one reason why but still I don't think the assimilation process for Latinos will work like it did for Europeans. Latinos also don't have to strive to be "white" either. African Americans have retained their blackness maybe Puerto Ricans and other Latinos will retain their Latinidad for generations and not be absorbed into white culture like the Italians or the Irish. In Perth Amboy, Puerto Ricans have been here for generations since the 1940s and the 50s if not earlier. Puerto Ricans still retain their Puerto Rican and Hispanic culture. Even Puerto Ricans who work in City Hall who might have been born in the States still speak Spanglish and have not assimilated to the white culture. Like the blacks, these Latinos have maintained their identity and have not tried to blend in to the generic white culture. We should just appreciate diversity instead of making everyone just "one" and pushing people to forget about their culture like we did about 100 years ago. This is the 21st Century and we should accept the fact we have differences and learn to work with them.
That's an awfully general statement. There loads of assimilated Hispanics including Puerto Ricans. They live throughout the suburbs and you would never know if you didn't know their last names or they didn't say so.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What does it mean to "act culturally white"?
It means you come on city data and ask about towns with great schools, a walkable downtown, fast transit to NYC, and low taxes.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:05 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It means you come on city data and ask about towns with great schools, a walkable downtown, fast transit to NYC, and low taxes.
haha

Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
That's an awfully general statement. There loads of assimilated Hispanics including Puerto Ricans. They live throughout the suburbs and you would never know if you didn't know their last names or they didn't say so.
That is not what I meant by assimilation. By assimilation I mean when an ethnic group is absorbed into white American culture like the Irish and Italians. There are some Puerto Ricans and Hispanics who are assimilated but as a group Hispanics have not followed the same assimilation path as the Euro Americans.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It's general, but it works for me. I know a woman who has been in the States for many more years than she lived in Puerto Rico. Her English is accented, and she speaks Spanish to her family and some of her co-workers. Her wedding feast featured a pig roast. She likes and appreciates aspects of her background and upbringing. I respect that.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
That is not what I meant by assimilation. By assimilation I mean when an ethnic group is absorbed into white American culture like the Irish and Italians. There are some Puerto Ricans and Hispanics who are assimilated but as a group Hispanics have not followed the same assimilation path as the Euro Americans.
They have, it's just that large-scale immigration continues so you keep getting more unassimilated immigrants.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They have, it's just that large-scale immigration continues so you keep getting more unassimilated immigrants.
I don't know. I had hope that Hispanics would follow that route. If you have an Irish pub or an Italian restaurant in Midtown Manhattan it is seen as "mainstream." If you put a Puerto Rican restaurant in Midtown Manhattan I feel it is seen as "different" or maybe even "exotic." Puerto Ricans have been here for generations and you don't see a lot of recently arrived Puerto Ricans in the Tri State area yet Puerto Ricans are still seen as the "other" or "minorities." Although I feel Puerto Ricans are becoming more accepted and are generally more accepted than other Hispanics like the Mexicans I do not think they are seen as part of "mainstream New Jersey" yet like the Irish and Italians are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey