Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayr557 View Post
Now about us Puerto Ricans being "white"... Despite your "racial" background in Puerto Rico, when you realize by observation, study and experience, let alone are a descendant of the island, it's predominantly an Afro/"black" culture. From salsa ("Latin" jazz), the daughter of Bomba, and reggae/reggae-ton, and I mean the authentic true to the roots reggae-ton (early 90's), to the many many Lukumi (language of the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria) words we use today simply misunderstood as "Spanish" because of the accent, to our Mofongo, and creole rice and beans, and our frituras (fritters), our guanimos (boiled dumplings) with salted codfish stew, to religions/ways of life (Santeria and Rastafarian), to an old early to mid 1900's saying that goes, "Y tu abuela, donde 'ta?" Or in english, "and your grandmother, where is she?". This response is referring to any Puerto Rican that denies their African/Black roots in anyway. In other words, "You may LOOK white, but I'll bet your grandmother is black". Even our American history is strongly African/Black! When our people (The Young Lords) fought for our rights, side by side with the Panthers in the 70's. And how more than any other Spanish speaking culture I've experienced, there are many New Yoricans that cook soul food. We have helped, since the beginning, start Hip Hop music and dance. And I can go on and on about how no matter your appearance, culturally, your probably more African/Black than they want you to know! It's just unfortunate how there are more Puerto Ricans that don't care than the few that woke up and do care...
you dark skinned by any chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 57,264 times
Are Puerto Rican's considered white? No!! when i think of white i think of people from Irish, German, English background not Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are Hispanic/Latino like Cubans, Mexicans, Dominicans

Old 06-26-2016, 04:41 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allhappydays View Post
Are Puerto Rican's considered white?
Are Puerto Rican's...what...considered to be white?
There is at least one word missing from that sentence because "Puerto Rican's" indicates possession of something.
What is that...something?

Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Are Puerto Rican's...what...considered to be white?
There is at least one word missing from that sentence because "Puerto Rican's" indicates possession of something.
What is that...something?

im so lost dude

Old 06-26-2016, 05:06 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:
Are Puerto Rican's considered white? No!! when i think of white i think of people from Irish, German, English background not Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are Hispanic/Latino like Cubans, Mexicans, Dominicans
Some Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans, and Dominicans are white.

Just as Europeans colonized North America, they also colonized South America and the Carribean.

Those Puerto Ricans of European descent are white (just like North Americans of European descent are white)

Old 06-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Some Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans, and Dominicans are white.

Just as Europeans colonized North America, they also colonized South America and the Carribean.

Those Puerto Ricans of European descent are white (just like North Americans of European descent are white)
Generally speaking they are Latino. With your logic they're also black, Europeans also colonized the said places with African slaves...famed boxer Felix Trinidad looks like a black guy as does Tego Calderon as does Roberto Clemente

Puerto Ricans are Latino

Old 06-26-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking they are Latino. With your logic they're also black, Europeans also colonized the said places with African slaves...famed boxer Felix Trinidad looks like a black guy as does Tego Calderon as does Roberto Clemente

Puerto Ricans are Latino
Latino is not a race.
It simply denote people who speak Spanish or Portuguese.

There are white Latinos, black Latinos, native Latinos, mestizo Latinos, etc.

Plenty of Puerto Ricans and Cubans, in particular, are white Latinos. There is also a significant minority of white Mexicans.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 PM

Not to derail from the original question which again,,are Puerto Ricans considered white? imo No

Jennifer Lopez is not white...Ricky Martin is not white....Erik Estrada is not white..Rosie Perez is not white...the majority of Puerto Ricans i know resemble these individuals and in my opinion they too are not white.

Your entitled to your opinion, i respect it

Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Not to derail from the original question which again,,are Puerto Ricans considered white? imo No

Jennifer Lopez is not white...Ricky Martin is not white....Erik Estrada is not white..Rosie Perez is not white...the majority of Puerto Ricans i know resemble these individuals and in my opinion they too are not white.

Your entitled to your opinion, i respect it
Rosie Perez is of African descent clearly.

From what I see, Ricky Martin may be of solely/primarily European descent.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM

i respect your opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey