Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have always been fascinated by how many Puerto Ricans in New Jersey have held on to their heritage at the same time assimilating to their home culture. As other ethnic groups in the past and continue to be doing. But it makes me wonder if Puerto Ricans are finally accepted into the mainstream culture considering the fact that they were here since the 1950s as the oldest Hispanic group. Any input?
How are they considered?

As far as I am concerned -- Puerto Ricans are considered people just like all of the other people in NJ. Call me naive, but that's the way I look at it and feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Uhm, what? My husband, daughter, and inlaws are all Hawaiian (to varying degrees) and even though they are not fans of the status quo back home, they certain self identify as American in terms of nationality if not culture or ethnicity.
OK, cool. I said lots of Hawaiians, not all Hawaiians, or even most Hawaiians. I am personally acquainted with some Hawaiians who believe the overthrow of the Queen was an illegal act and a war crime (true), and that Hawaii should never have been annexed by America and that the Statehood vote was coercive, misleading and illegal. And some, not all of the Hawaiians I know, still refer to the Mainland not as the Mainland, but as "America."

That's why I wrote what I wrote.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Both. And it's not "African culture" as if it's some type of abstraction........it's THEIR culture.
How exactly should they embrace "their" culture? Most Dominicans speak Spanish(in DR) and are Roman Catholic. Should they go back to speaking an African language or practising Animism, Islam, Shaminism, etc? For better or worse, cultural diffusion/evolution happens, and isn't it unfair and perhaps a tad unrealstic to expect people to revert(in a temporal sense) to cultural practices that they have no personal experience with or interest in? Should we be encouraging the Swedes to go back to worshipping Thor and going around in longboats and pillaging because that was their culture before they were Christianized/Westernized?

I get what your saying about the supposed inferiority complex(I only use that term because I can't think of a better one) and that's unfortunate, but I'm not of the opinion that someone is obligated to regard "African"(I use quotes because there is a lot of cultural diversity in Africa) culture as their own just because they're "Black."

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-01-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
How exactly should they embrace "their" culture? Most Dominicans speak Spanish(in DR) and are Roman Catholic. Should they go back to speaking an African language or practising Animism, Islam, Shaminism, etc? For better or worse, cultural diffusion/evolution happens, and isn't it unfair and perhaps a tad unrealstic to expect people to revert(in a temporal sense) to cultural practices that they have no personal experience or interest in? Should we be encouraging the Swedes to go back to worshipping Thor and going around in longboats and pillaging because that was their culture before they were Christianized/Westernized?
You don't understand the Caribbean. Nor are you making the right argument. Africa is as much a part of daily life there as any other continent, and indeed, much of Dominican and other Caribbean culture incorporates all of these elements in a creolized mix. You are not understanding the dynamic. Nobody needs to make a special, intensive effort to recognize their heritage. Religion (Catholicism is strong there, but so is vudu, Santeria, mayombe and spiritism), food, language (yes, Caribbean Spanish has many African words, and Africa impacts the actual accent). How do they embrace their culture? By living every day. But don't look at your hair texture and skin color and talk about how "bad" it is, and speak with disrespect about a woman who wants to wear her hair natural. Know what I mean? But since you brought up animism and shamanism and Sweden, I will continue to remind you that there are these elements in the Caribbean culture (including African religion, Indian shamanism [I happened to have been married by a Taino shaman] and even Islam). As well, Swedes DO acknowledge their Viking, pre-Christian roots and continue to teach their children (and the world) about them.

Quote:

I get what your saying about the supposed inferiority complex(I only use that term because I can't think of a better one) and that's unfortunate, but I'm not of the opinion that someone is obliged to regard "African"(I use quotes because there is a lot of cultural diversity in Africa) culture as their own just because they're "Black."
Well, OK, I understand that. I don't expect any/every black person to walk around declaring himself an Afrocentrist and beating on a drum. I do that, but that's my own weird way of enjoying myself on a daily basis.

But I do expect people not to fall into the self-destructive white supremacist teachings we've all (and I do mean all of us) been plagued with and spend time disparaging what is an integral part of themselves. I mean, if you hate your ancestors and that which you came from, how productive and effective can you be as a human being?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

36 posts, read 88,257 times
This is a subject that can go on forever. People of all colors come from all over. The real "AMERICANS" from are long gone, I guess now it's all from other parts of the world that came to America.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I mean, if you hate your ancestors and that which you came from, how productive and effective can you be as a human being?
just as productive as anybody else.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM

36 posts, read 88,257 times
CNJ are you a computer guy?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 48,934 times
Unfortunately, it is racism within the Puerto Rican community that would have any Puerto Rican claim to be white or be accepted into the Anglo community. It is similar to light skin African Americans trying to pass as white because they are so fair skinned. Your wife should embrace her heritage and look into her ancestry. I’m sure she is a mixture of Spanish, African and Indian and thus should identify with that. As far as the stigma of being Puerto Rican in NYC especially it is hard to escape. Many of the immigrants that came during the 1950’s were poor and uneducated, where as in PR there are so many amazingly educated and proud people that she should get in touch with. I grew up in NYC with many Puerto Ricans and they either lived in the projects or their parents were supers etc, but their children went on to college. Similar to all immigrant groups in the states.... to be white in America you need to be descended from the Quakers. If you are Puerto Rican you cannot be a white American

Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl1275 View Post
Unfortunately, it is racism within the Puerto Rican community that would have any Puerto Rican claim to be white or be accepted into the Anglo community. It is similar to light skin African Americans trying to pass as white because they are so fair skinned. Your wife should embrace her heritage and look into her ancestry. I’m sure she is a mixture of Spanish, African and Indian and thus should identify with that. As far as the stigma of being Puerto Rican in NYC especially it is hard to escape. Many of the immigrants that came during the 1950’s were poor and uneducated, where as in PR there are so many amazingly educated and proud people that she should get in touch with. I grew up in NYC with many Puerto Ricans and they either lived in the projects or their parents were supers etc, but their children went on to college. Similar to all immigrant groups in the states.... to be white in America you need to be descended from the Quakers. If you are Puerto Rican you cannot be a white American
its funny that there are certain dark skinned puerto ricans that are offended by the notion that many puerto ricans consider themselves white.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
It's the notion of "consider themselves" that would make it an issue for some. You can have people in the same family who view themselves differently. It might cause some tension and some members of the family could be much darker or lighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey