U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

14 posts, read 30,822 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NJ from the UK because of my husband's job. His work place would be Franklin Lakes. We have two children, 13 and 10. I am looking at the best possible school districts to buy a house in. Our budget would be at the 700/750,000 USD mark. I would like an easy commute to NY as well and also a bit of a downtown where we buy the house. I have never been to the States before and am told that suburbs can be very far from the towns. I can't see myself leading a very secluded life, yet I want the best education for my children. I would want a non-snobbish town where they place a great value on education and are tolerant to foreigners. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM

454 posts, read 868,257 times
We have a pie shop (Cornish), a criquet team, and a curry house on the way, so you'd feel at home, but plenty of nice towns close to Franklin Lakes, including Franklin Lakes. Wycoff, Ridgewood, Saddle River, Alendale, HoHokus to name a few. Gets rural as you head North and West. I have an agent who lives in Ridgewood if you want her name.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,347,396 times
Ridgewood has the best school system by far of the towns near Franklin Lakes. It also has a quaint little downtown area, which the other towns near Franklin Lakes lack. Probably your best bet.

If you want something a little more densely built, you might look into the towns of the Northern Valley in Bergen County, still an easy commute by car to Franklin Lakes but also more settled. Tenafly has the best school system there. And Montclair, which the above poster mentioned, is also a good choice (but I know less about it), and has more diversity than Tenafly or Ridgewood.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,309,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrali Mutsuddi View Post
We are relocating to NJ from the UK because of my husband's job. His work place would be Franklin Lakes. We have two children, 13 and 10. I am looking at the best possible school districts to buy a house in. Our budget would be at the 700/750,000 USD mark. I would like an easy commute to NY as well and also a bit of a downtown where we buy the house. I have never been to the States before and am told that suburbs can be very far from the towns. I can't see myself leading a very secluded life, yet I want the best education for my children. I would want a non-snobbish town where they place a great value on education and are tolerant to foreigners. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Start with Ridgewood. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Thank you for all your replies.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 AM

How is the commute between Ridgewood and NYC? Is there a direcct train?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,001 times
Hi nomadicpat

I'm a Brit living in Bergen county, been here a few years now. Ridgewood does have a great upscale British-style High St with cute boutiques, an indie cinema & good restaurants. There is a train into NYC (you have to transfer once, total journey time is around 55-60mins) and trains run every 20-30mins during peak times. However personally I find Ridgewood a little bit snooty (I'm from Tunbridge Wells so I know something about that!)

I live in River Edge/Oradell and would recommend it. Close by is a lovely park called Van Saun, 4 big malls, a great school system, good bus & trains links to NYC (its a bit closer to the city than Ridgewood) and generally you get more for your money housing wise. It's about 25 mins drive from Franklin Lakes. Something to consider

Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM

2,487 posts, read 4,847,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicpat View Post
How is the commute between Ridgewood and NYC? Is there a direcct train?
There is no direct train service from anywhere in Bergen county to NYC. All trips into Manhattan require a transfer at Secaucus Junction. From Ridgewood you are looking at about 1 hour-1:10 on the train.

Montclair has decent schools but not really on par with the towns suggested in Bergen County. The only option with great schools and a direct train to Manhattan would be Millburn/Short Hills or Chatham but the commute to Franklin Lakes is not going to be fun( about 45 minutes without traffic). Not to mention Millburn is one of the richest towns in the entire country so it's pretty uppity.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

138 posts, read 423,775 times
Some other options for you to consider besides Ridgewood are Ramsey, Westwood, Hillsdale, Allendale, Wyckoff. I agree with a poster who mentioned River Edge and Oradell as well. Depending on your tastes, there are 100 homes available within those towns ranging from the low $400Ks to your mark of $750K. Also, NJ Monthly publishes a report every two years on public school rankings. You can review it here. If you have questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
Hi nomadicpat

Did you end up moving to NJ and if so how has it been for you? I maybe relocation there from London for a job too, I have 2 kids as well, 5years and 7 years.

Was it easy to settle in and how did the kids find it compared to the UK?

Much appreciate any replies.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey